Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts On My Symptoms? Should I Be Tested?

celiac gluten gluten free test symptoms

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Vernie822

Vernie822

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hello, everyone!

Forgive me for posting my symptoms and asking for opinions, as I know many people do. I've scrolled through the other posts and I have decided to post my own symptoms. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have.

My story - I'm a 23 y/o female. I do 23 year old female things, such as drink beer with my friends. I enjoy running and working out. I have run 2 half marathons and I am running a third this spring. I have always, always, ALWAYS been gassy. Like, can't hold it in and it's gross in front of my boyfriend and friends. I have laughed it off forever, but it is starting to bother me more and more lately (and it's not necessarily polite to do in front of people!). I have found that after eating, especially after lunch or dinner, I am bloated. Not necessarily full from food, but bloated. Abdominal pains, lady cramps, the works. Generally within 1/2 hour to an hour after eating, I am headed to the bathroom. My gas lately has been outrageous!!

For example - Last night we had Moe's for dinner. I had a burrito with rice, beans, chicken, etc. Chips on the side. I have never been so gassy/run to the restroom so fast in my life. This morning, I had a granola bar, and a coffee with milk. This afternoon, homemade veggie soup with whole wheat crackers. I did not have a ton of food - but I am so bloated and have already went to the bathroom once this afternoon.

I had beer with my friends two nights last week, Weds and Saturday. I had about 3-4 each night. I don't often drink beer, maybe once a month, but I was bloated from Thursday (given, it was Thanksgiving..) through Sunday evening. I didn't eat a ton at Thanksgiving because I felt stuffed within eating half of my plate.

I could also agree with a few other symptoms - my hair is thick but it falls out like crazy! These are just some of the recent things that have occurred, but like I said, gassiness is always a problem, as is the bloating after meals. What do you all think??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'll caveat my response with... I'm relatively new at this.  That said, your symptoms sound very much like potential Celiac.  There's no harm in getting tested - request a full Celiac panel (bloodtest) from your doctor.  Keep eating gluten in the meantime or it will mess up the test.

In the meantime, a digestive enzyme may help alleviate some of your symptoms.

Good luck!

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#3 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

If you're planning on continuing to eat gluten at least for the short-term, then there is no harm in you looking into testing. It's ultimately up to you. I'm pretty sure if I had been able to bear my symptoms any longer, I'd have held out and continued eating gluten for the long haul of convincing my doctor to see me about the sensitivity to begin with, then an appointment (my doctor is VERY conservative, yet it's impossible to get an appointment less than a month away, more likely two), then the time to schedule and have the tests performed. I'm a kind of person who just likes to "know." But I already know I can't keep eating gluten - the splitting hairs between whether my villi are being destroyed or whether my intestines are simply being chewed up and spat back out after every cracker because of NCGI isn't worth it for me.

If you're willing to put up with the symptoms, then keep eating gluten for now, but schedule that testing as soon as you possibly can.

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#4 Vernie822

Vernie822

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thank you SO much for the feedback! I'm also sensitive to lactose (not really cheese, but if I drink milk, eat yogurt, etc., I have similar issues), but it has been made way worse by gluten lately. My mom thinks I'm over reacting, but I say it's better to be safe than bloated and smelly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: