This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Way To Mix 12 Cups Of Spices Together

LauraTX

LauraTX Rising Star

I am making taco spice mix in little jars this year for Christmas gifts.  I'm about to go to sams club and get my spices.  I am trying to come up with the least messy way to mix all of this together, 12 cups total.  I was thinking about getting one of those giant ziploc bags, but where do I get those?   :unsure:  Maybe if I am forced to use a whisk and a big bowl, I will go out in the garage and put down a sheet or something, haha.  Any ideas?

Edit: I am asking you guys because my family are all recipients of this gift, and I can't spoil the surprise! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have seen those giant ziplocks at target and Walmart before.

What if you make them in 2-6 cup batches? The mixing bowl on my Kirchen aid would work for that. Or a large stock pot or turkey roaster? Maybe get one of the foil turkey pans and stir carefully?

Let me know when you need my address.... :)

love2travel Mentor

I just shake large batches in a 4 L pail with a lid. Works perfectly.

LauraTX Rising Star

I had an epiphany when going to get my big bowl out from my cabinet, I used my cake carrier. It snaps near air tight, and it worked great.  I was able to shake it and get everything blended easily.  My gifts are going to turn out great :)

GF Lover Rising Star

I had an epiphany when going to get my big bowl out from my cabinet, I used my cake carrier. It snaps near air tight, and it worked great.  I was able to shake it and get everything blended easily.  My gifts are going to turn out great :)

Ummmm Laura?  You forgot to ask for addresses  :lol:

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

I can PM you with all our addresses. Just say the word. ;)

LauraTX Rising Star

How bout I give yall the recipe? :D   

Taco Seasoning (3 Tbsp. = 1 packet of taco seasoning):
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder 
½ teaspoon onion powder 
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions for taco meat:
Brown 1 lb. ground beef or turkey in skillet; drain.  Add 1/2 cup water and 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning.  Stir well and heat over medium heat for a few minutes until done.  Serve in tacos or on nachos.  
To spice things up, use tomato sauce or salsa instead of water.  

Serve your tacos with this easy Mexican Rice Recipe:
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 C long grain white rice
2 C chicken broth
1/2 small onion or 1 shallot
1 whole tomato 
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat.   Add rice and sauté until golden brown.  Carefully add chicken broth and grate in onion and tomato. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then simmer 25 minutes, covered, until rice is done.  Salt to taste.
To prevent rice from being soggy, use grated tomato towards total liquid volume measurement.  

Taco Mac Bake Recipe
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp.  taco seasoning
2 cups pasta (can use 1 cup and add 1 can pinto beans)
1 - 14oz can black beans drained and rinsed
2 - 10 oz cans Rotel
2 cups low fat mexican shredded cheese
1 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
½ C water
Preheat the oven to 350. Cook 2 cups of pasta of your choice to the minimum recommended time.  While cooking the pasta, brown 1 pound of ground beef.  Drain the fat. Drain and rinse one 14 oz. can of black beans. 
Add the drained black beans, two 10 oz cans of Rotel, and 1/2 cup water. Add 3 Tbsp. of homemade taco seasoning.  Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.  Also crush 1 1/2 cups of tortilla chips to make about 3/4 cup of small bits.
Remove from heat. Add pasta and 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Transfer to a large oven safe baking dish.
Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and crushed chips. Mix them together a little. Bake until browned. About 25 minutes.

Big Batch Recipe
Makes 12 cups, perfect for 12  8oz. canning jars.
(4 ½ cups) 3 teaspoon chili powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 
(3 tablespoons) 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
(1 ½ cup) 1 teaspoon dried oregano
(¾ cup)  1/2 teaspoon paprika
 (2 ¼ cup) 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon salt
 (¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

I used mostly Tones spices from sams club, and I discovered that the 20 oz. chili powder is 4 and a half cups.  A Standard mccormick spice bottle is 1/2 cup.  If that helps anyone :P   Overall I spent about 50 dollars on 12 gifts, not too bad!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Awesome gift idea!

Laura that is so sweet of you to take the time to type all that out.

Newbies will truly appreciate it! 

I suggest  you  cut and paste the whole thing to a new thread and call it "Homemade Taco Seasoning Mixes for Christmas Gifts"

or something like that because it may get lost in this one. It's just so much good info.

oh,and the

truth is, I know how to do it because I have to make my own taco seasoning because I can't have MSG which is always in those packets! 

GRR lol 

but I'm just so lazy lately... I wanted YOU to make it for me. :D

LauraTX Rising Star

I'll do that! I've been using that recipe for a long time, I pull out individual spices each time and measure them all out into a cup before I get started.  Ive been wanting to at least make myself a batch for personal use, was able to save a little for me :)  There is a blog called 101 cooking for two, and that guy makes his own spice blends.  And I cook for two so his stuff is helpful :)  

I DO need to find a celiac to cook for that will appreciate my cooking more!  LOL

Archived