21 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ok, so the same guy who gave me all that bison a few weeks ago just brought me an elk roast. How do I cook it? I know it's very lean and should be cooked in a crock pot. All the recipes I saw on line include things I can't have. Should I just use carrots seeing I am off nightshades? And they say to sear it in vegetable oil first. Well, olive oil doesn't seem to work for me. Can I use butter? I haven't even tested coconut oil yet but it seems I'm intolerant to so many things, I'd hate to try it and find out I ruined the whole roast for myself. Do I really have to sear it at all?

They say to cut slits in the roast and put a bunch of butter in it. I guess I can do that. They also say I'll end up with a bunch of juices to make gravy. I can thicken it with rice flour, right? Because I can't do corn starch.

How about spices? I've never had elk before, but I've heard it is the best of all wild game meats. What spices would go good with it? Or should I just cook it plain?

He brought me a bunch of ground elk too. THAT I know how to cook - the same way I cook my ground bison. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I love elk. What kind (cut) of roast is it?
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't know. I forgot to ask him. It's in a vacuum-sealed package and it's kind of oblong but sort of flat. Maybe five inches wide, seven or eight inches long, and three inches thick.

(And by the way, I was hoping it's be you who answered. I KNOW anything you suggest will come out delicious. Just go easy on me - remember I have NO experience cooking a roast of ANY kind and I'm pretty helpless in the kitchen. :) )

#4 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

I don't know. I forgot to ask him. It's in a vacuum-sealed package and it's kind of oblong but sort of flat. Maybe five inches wide, seven or eight inches long, and three inches thick.

(And by the way, I was hoping it's be you who answered. I KNOW anything you suggest will come out delicious. Just go easy on me - remember I have NO experience cooking a roast of ANY kind and I'm pretty helpless in the kitchen. :) )

You are too sweet. :-) When are you having this roast? The reason I ask is I am wondering whether I can fully respond to you tomorrow. Tweaked my back so even the simplest tasks seem daunting. :-(

Elk truly is amongst the best game and I have pretty much had it all! Yummmm...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

It's frozen. I don't have to cook it until I'm feeling brave. :lol:

And I'm so sorry to hear you have hurt your back (again? or should I say "some more"?) I know you are in constant pain, and yet you are always so cheerful. You are an example we should all hold up and try to emulate. (((((HUGS)))))

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

It's frozen. I don't have to cook it until I'm feeling brave. :lol:

And I'm so sorry to hear you have hurt your back (again? or should I say "some more"?) I know you are in constant pain, and yet you are always so cheerful. You are an example we should all hold up and try to emulate. (((((HUGS)))))

Some more AND again! Anyway, what you said made my day. And I mean that sincerely. Thank you!

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've never cooked elk myself, so I have nothing constructive to add. I just wanted to say that I've eaten it and it is absolutely amazing. My dad will shoot anything he can get a license for, so I've had quite a lot of wild game and buffalo and elk are definitely at the top of my list.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

You really do not have to sear big roasts before they go in the crock pot.  I feel like it is too much of a pain in the rear. I do not know how to cook elk but I have thickened gravy with rice flour before.  Just make a roux with equal parts rice flour and fat.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

I would probably sear it in some animal fat - tallow or lard or duckfat. Butter will likely brown too quickly. Ghee might work, though.

Something like this recipe:http://www.rmef.org/...edElkRoast.aspx

If you cannot so the wine, just up the broth amount (or I have used a little Pom juice before with yummy results)

If the meat is good, you don't need too add too much. Simple and tasty!

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

yummmm - wrap that sucker in bacon and pop it in the oven :)  sounds like tenderloin?  backstrap?  doesn't matter, elk is dee-licious!  i've only had it a few times - once was an elk burger.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

I looked up pictures and it looks like "sirloin tip center", which they suggest roasting. (Which I was going to do anyway. Do you call it roasting when you do it in a slow cooker?)

My problem is the fat. Can't get lard around here that isn't adulterated with _______  CORN! :angry:

Can't get bacon around here that isn't contaminated with _______ CORN! :angry:

All I can think of to do would be to cook some chicken and save the fat from that.

I was thinking ginger might be a good thing to spice it with. A friend of mine used to make the best sauerbratten. He used wine (which I can't have), and ginger snaps!. It was delicious, and so tender. I wonder if I can find some gluten-free ginger snaps that aren't poisoned with ______CORN! :angry: Or soy. :angry:

And broth? I'll have to make my own from the chicken because I can't get BROTH around here that isn't totally ruined with _______CORN!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

#12 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Homemade broth is way better anyway! I save all my chicken bones, back n carcasses and pick up a bunch of chicken feet (makes it really gelatine-y)

Have you heard of US Wellness Meats? You can buy all grass fed, grain free meats and fats there. They have tallow and lard:http://www.grassland...tail.bok?no=878 It ain't cheap, but it's corn free!

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I looked up pictures and it looks like "sirloin tip center", which they suggest roasting. (Which I was going to do anyway. Do you call it roasting when you do it in a slow cooker?)

My problem is the fat. Can't get lard around here that isn't adulterated with _______  CORN! :angry:

Can't get bacon around here that isn't contaminated with _______ CORN! :angry:

All I can think of to do would be to cook some chicken and save the fat from that.

I was thinking ginger might be a good thing to spice it with. A friend of mine used to make the best sauerbratten. He used wine (which I can't have), and ginger snaps!. It was delicious, and so tender. I wonder if I can find some gluten-free ginger snaps that aren't poisoned with ______CORN! :angry: Or soy. :angry:

And broth? I'll have to make my own from the chicken because I can't get BROTH around here that isn't totally ruined with _______CORN!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Have you tried a local butcher to see if you can get a corn free bacon?

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

There IS no local butcher. I guess I can live without bacon (unless I think about it too much).

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Sorry not to respond sooner. Pain worse. Will get back to you when I can! Elk does need additional fat as mentioned above. Is it possible to request caul fat from the meat section at your store? It is a very thin layer that resembles lace.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: