16 replies to this topic

#16 blmoreschi

blmoreschi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Wow, our 11 year old daughters sound very similar with their bone age delay! I definitely would encourage you to ask for a DEXA scan to check her bone density. We have been convinced by multiple doctors that it is very important to address her low bone density before she starts that big pre-pubertal growth spurt. I am also not at all upset by the delay in puberty (I have a 14-next-week daughter, too), and actually my daughter isn't either. She sees what her sister has dealt with and isn't in any hurry, plus she's a ballerina so likes being small and thin. Her doctors also say that she should be able to make up the delay in growth, and if she does what they predict, she has about 12 or 13 inches to grow in the next few years. Her bone density is extremely low, so we really worry about her spine as she grows that fast.

Where do you live? We're in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I know my daughter would love to have a gluten-free friend with similar issues!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 massagemamaof3

massagemamaof3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

Wow, our 11 year old daughters sound very similar with their bone age delay! I definitely would encourage you to ask for a DEXA scan to check her bone density. We have been convinced by multiple doctors that it is very important to address her low bone density before she starts that big pre-pubertal growth spurt. I am also not at all upset by the delay in puberty (I have a 14-next-week daughter, too), and actually my daughter isn't either. She sees what her sister has dealt with and isn't in any hurry, plus she's a ballerina so likes being small and thin. Her doctors also say that she should be able to make up the delay in growth, and if she does what they predict, she has about 12 or 13 inches to grow in the next few years. Her bone density is extremely low, so we really worry about her spine as she grows that fast.

Where do you live? We're in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I know my daughter would love to have a gluten-free friend with similar issues!

We live in Illinois but my daughter would also love to talk to someone about being gluten free and the issues she may run into.Maybe they can connect through email or instagram, I dont really know what that is but she has one. Our next appt with the gi dr is in april and i will definitely ask about the bone density scan. She has never had any issues with broken bones or anything. I have a 16 yo son and his puberty made me question why I thought more then one kid was a good idea :P 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: