This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Get A Biopsy To Be Sure?

Laudahwiz

Laudahwiz Newbie

I posted this in my other topic but I figured I'd post it here too because it's more relevant.

My doctor (who does mostly acupuncture and naturopathic medicine) diagnosed me with celiac two days ago after the results of a blood test came back. She seemed to think from the panel that I definitely had it. But I've done some research and I've read that these panels are more often used as tools to indicate that one may have celiac but not a basis for a definite diagnosis?

Thing is, to get a biopsy would be really expensive. But if I don't get one I might go the rest of me life thinking 'do I actually have this disease?' and it'll be like an itch I can't scratch.

Here are the test results: http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/cyndersbane/TestResults_zps7ff6804d.webp I'd really appreciate it if some of you that are more knowledgeable than me can take a look at it and tell me if you think a definite diagnosis can be made based on just this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That doesn't look like a regular Celiac blood panel to me.  Perhaps you would have better luck going to a doctor for your blood tests?

Open Original Shared Link

So, I guess my answer is "Yes.  Get a biopsy".

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I wasn't able to access your bloodtest results but in my opinion, if you can afford it, a biopsy is always a good idea.  They won't just check for Celiac, while they're in there they will look for other ailments too.  It's good to know that it's Celiac, and only Celiac, and not something potentially more immediately serious.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm sorry, but that's not a Celiac disease panel you had done, hon. (those tests do not diagnose celiac)

I do not think a gastroenterologist will just do a biopsy before doing a celiac panel first.

Gemini Experienced

I agree with Irish on this one.  That is not a celiac panel and actually, I am not sure what those tests are for. Do not base a Celiac diagnosis on that.

You need to have a full celiac panel and most MD's should know what that is. If after having the correct testing, and it comes out positive, then you have a diagnosis. You can opt on for a biopsy, if you choose but if you have a positive tTg and EMA on the Celiac panel, you have Celiac Disease and the biopsy won't be needed for a diagnosis.  Many people, including myself, had very positive panels and were extremely symptomatic so opted out of a biopsy. If, after healing, you are still having problems, you can always have the scope done to see if you have additional problems but many times, that is not needed. 

Laudahwiz Newbie

Ok, thanks so much for helping me out with this everyone. I guess I've been a little confused, and feeling really skeptical about this diagnosis now. I'm going to talk to my mom about getting a blood panel done by an MD doctor and see what comes of that.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but make sure you continue to eat gluten until after your bloodtest.  If you go gluten-free the test is useless.  Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived