19 replies to this topic

#16 seezee

seezee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Another thought. I think often some adults tend to over-react. I'd add something about maintaining X's privacy and not singling her out. We had some phrase like that in our 504. When my daughter was younger teachers would sometimes send her to sit off in a corner or announce to the class that Y's mom brought pizza but because A has celiac and it's not gluten free we can't eat it.

Also, the Children Hospital Boston has a pretty good page on this:

http://www.childrens...-disease/school

and they have a school packet here with other resources.

http://www.childrens...m/support-group

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thanks again for all your help while putting this together.  We met today to put together the plan.  And, I just have to brag, I love my daughter's school!  The Principal started with how much they care about the kids and that they always work with parents - even without a 504, but he's always happy to have the plan in place.

Everything went without a hitch.  We were all in agreement that the plan was needed, that the accommodations were necessary and the group (substitute nurse, principal, counselor, head of medical services for district) thought of some things I hadn't considered.

I'm so happy to know that they really do focus on keeping my kid safe during the hours they have her!

Thank you for walking me through this process.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#18 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Awesome job Mom!  Sounds like you have a great working relationship with the school which I have found to be the most important thing!

#19 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

When I was researching what to include in our 504 plan I came across several examples that included a "shelter-in-place" plan.  Most schools have one for emergency situations, but they wouldn't necessarily include food that would be safe for your child.  I didn't think too much about it (frankly, it sounded a bit excessive to me and I didn't want to look like a crazy lady) but the recent incidents in Atlanta have changed my mind.

I am amending our plan to include a "shelter-in-place" plan.  I am sending in 6 shelf-stable meals (GoPicnic snack meals from Target) and the plan will list where they are located in case of an emergency where students need to stay at school for an extended period of time. 

#20 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

^^^ Yep!  They're keeping Go Picnics for me in the nurse's office.  We live in a large district that has one facility that makes the food and delivers daily.  If the Atlanta event happened NONE of the kids would be eating (except my kid and her special food!).  This elementary is smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood and I have no doubt that people would bring food to the kids.

Anyway, the plan is mostly in place in case I ever forget to pack her lunch.  We do keep Go Picnics in the house at any given moment in case the morning is chaos and I run out of time.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: