9 replies to this topic

#1 Fourmonkeysjumping

Fourmonkeysjumping

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

This is bizarre, I know, but I figure someone on here has to have come across a situation like this at some point. 

My mother in law has struck again...

She sent my daughter some handmade upholstered doll furniture for her birthday.  It's cute, it's a nice gift, she bought it at a craft fair...  great.

Problem is, she packed it IN A RAISIN BRAN BOX!!!!!!!  How do I clean something like this?  I'm not certain it can be submersed, because it's handmade with cloth and wood and batting.  I know just wiping with wet wipes will not be adequate.  So, now what?  What is my best bet to make sure i get the gluten off.

Also, what the heck would you say to her?  I mean, this is NOT new for our family.  We've been gluten-free for NINE YEARS.  She should really start to know better by now.  My husband thinks we shouldn't bother, because obviously she doesn't get it, but I feel like we should say SOMETHING.

what a pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Mail off a thank you card and then re-gift the furniture or donate it to charity for Christmas.  

I don't think you'll be able to change your mother-in-law.  If she really was concerned about your children's health, she would educate herself.  If it were an honest mistake, then when she asks about the furniture, you could sweetly explain to her that it had been "glutened" and you donated it to charity.  If she gets mad, then that's her problem.

We have received many inappropriate gifts from family and friends throughout the years.  We normally donate those gifts to charity.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm with the PP.  That thing would be gone so fast...  And I would just wait for my MIL to ask what happened to it.  But I'm not a MIL fan.  At all.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#4 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

frankly, you couldn't be sure it was safe even before the cereal box.  Though I think that was a nasty slap in the face.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

At the risk of being different - I'm not sure I would worry about it. Cereal is usually in a plastic bag. Yes, I know it sometimes comes out of the bag. But it's not gooey, a stray crumb won't absorb into the fabric. And I wouldn't worry that the person who made them somehow rubbed flour all over it. If you aren't putting this doll furniture in your mouth, I would just vacuum or wipe it off and play with it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 Fourmonkeysjumping

Fourmonkeysjumping

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

I don't think you'll be able to change your mother-in-law.  If she really was concerned about your children's health, she would educate herself.  If it were an honest mistake, then when she asks about the furniture, you could sweetly explain to her that it had been "glutened" and you donated it to charity.  If she gets mad, then that's her problem.

I think this is the real key here...  I think she just doesn't believe us.  My guess is she "knows someone" who isn't as strict or something.  You know the type.  It's been a long nine years with this woman.

If it was up to me, I'd just pass the toys along.  My husband probably won't want to, since they're from his mother, but maybe I can just toss them in storage for a bit until he forgets about them ;)

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

At the risk of being different - I'm not sure I would worry about it. Cereal is usually in a plastic bag. Yes, I know it sometimes comes out of the bag. But it's not gooey, a stray crumb won't absorb into the fabric. And I wouldn't worry that the person who made them somehow rubbed flour all over it. If you aren't putting this doll furniture in your mouth, I would just vacuum or wipe it off and play with it.

I AGREE completely with Karen's thoughts.

Your husband is right, 4 monkeys. This is not one worth fussing over. Honest.

Let's be realistic here. Chances of this being a problem are pretty nil. 

Take it all outside, blow a hair dryer on it .......and enjoy.

....and say "thank you for the thoughtful gift".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

I agree with Karen and Irish. Not worth worrying about.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 massagemamaof3

massagemamaof3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

I agree with karen, I would vacuum it and wipe the legs off. As someone who has dealt with multiple mils, you are better off pretending they don't exist until they are on your door step! They are just not worth the effort or the problems with the husband! Good luck!

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

I would consider how sensitive your family is before making a decision.  Also, how likely is it to be contaminated.  Was it just in the box, or was it packed in the cereal?  How likely is it that it came in contact with gluten.? Will you child put it in her mouth?  Did you find that you needed to be a gluten free household?  I understand being upset that your mother in law isn't being considerate about this medical condition, but it would be a good idea not to overreact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: