CynthiaSt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi pricklypear1971,

Thanks for the info.

I seem to have a good day, then a bad day. Very frustratring.

I am still trying to get my energy to rebuild. If I do too much on the good day, the next day I have problems. I have to eat almost constantly (every 1 to 11/2 hours). Did that happen to you? I have been taking the digestive enzymes like Gemini recommended for almost 1 week now.

I have just started taking some brown rice protein powder with rice milk. seems to be helping.

My naturapath recommended PGX fiber. I am supposed to take it AFTER I eat to slow down the burn of the food.

I've taken it for 3 days now. It does seem to help, especially at night but I might have taken too much of it too soon as my stomach is a bit wacky today.  

I have such a limited number of foods i can tolerate. No green vegetables, mostly rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes and hopefully this protein powder as I can feel that my body really likes it.

What did you eat to stabalize your blood sugar? Did it take long to get it to stabalize?

I really appreciate your help and advice. Knowing there is such an incredible community of experienced and helpful people here in the forum is such a blessing.

I hope you stay well, healthy and are enjoying life.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

I had to eat every few hours. I had to eat a protein+veggie, one that didn't convert to sugar. I had to eat fruits cautiously, as well as carbs.

I know you're extremely limited in foods right now but potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice convert to sugar quickly. This may be part of your problem. I'd definitely eat protein with them.

In the end, I can tie my issues to my adrenals and thyroid. My adrenals were shot from years of thyroid and Celiac, and steroids. And my thyroid was under treated. When I started on adrenal supplament, gentle exercise (helps burn sugar), and optimized thyroid treatment my glucose issues subsided. I do admit, I had a rough time starting an exercise routine. I had to up my caloric intake drastically, before it stabilized.

I also had to eat on a schedule - I had to pre-empt hunger. I couldn't let myself get hungry.

And oddly, when i went hypo (past a certain point) I had to eat sugar (glucose) to raise it. I ate 6-12 ghiradelli semisweet chips to do this. One at a time. I could feel myself stabilize, so I'd eat one at a time. Going super hypo was like a feeding frenzy. I had to eat nonstop, and nothing made the hunger stop...except chocolate chips (glucose). It was a particular shaky, almost sweaty feeling.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

My blood sugar seemed better when I did the following diet scheme with the digestive enzymes.

5-8 oz meat or protein for 3 meals daily

Vegetables

Good fats Butter (if tolerated), coconut oil, or olive oil 1 Tbsp per meal

27 carbs from fruit

nuts

This type of diet SCD (information available on line) helps me to feel well satisfied for 4 hours, until the next meal.

D

#19 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Just loving all this information on this thread!

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, fats help stabilize my glucose. Ironically why I've always favored high fat sweets (cheesecake, ice cream). Not necessarily high sugar sweets...just high fat. Love me some fat, evidently!!!!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#21 CynthiaSt

CynthiaSt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

I apologize for being slow getting back here. I was glutened with the Rice Dream Rice Milk and had a couple of couch days.

I truly appreciate all of the valuable info.

I am eating chicken with the rice. Probably not enough. I am going to look into getting something for the adrenals at the health food store today. Hopefully my body can tolerate it. I do know it is time to expand my diet. 6 months ago I had no problem with the SCD diet. that was before I lost 25 pounds in 2 months and got so weak. I am definitely looking into getting back into some of it.

My biggest concern has been getting my weight back. All the info I found on the web was for a high carb diet. I am now up to 115 form 102 so it is not so pressing. Also, I thought I had IBS and was on the IBS diet to stabalize the diarriah. I had no clue the diarriah was caused by the celiac as I thought I was gluten free. GRRRRRRHHHHH! The IBS diet is quite high in carbs.

I still have concern with the Hypoglycemia diet to get enough calories. I have to push now with the rice/carbs etc to get 2000 calories per day. How do you get the calories?

I am going to start introducing more foods to my body. Hopefully I will be able to add some eggs and nuts. This celiac business is like wading through a mine field.

Do you think it is too early to introduce yogurt and kefir into my diet?

Being able to connect with such splendid and caring people here in the forum is saving my life. I have value for each and every one of you here in this community.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

#22 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi,
I apologize for being slow getting back here. I was glutened with the Rice Dream Rice Milk and had a couple of couch days.
I truly appreciate all of the valuable info.
I am eating chicken with the rice. Probably not enough. I am going to look into getting something for the adrenals at the health food store today. Hopefully my body can tolerate it. I do know it is time to expand my diet. 6 months ago I had no problem with the SCD diet. that was before I lost 25 pounds in 2 months and got so weak. I am definitely looking into getting back into some of it.
My biggest concern has been getting my weight back. All the info I found on the web was for a high carb diet. I am now up to 115 form 102 so it is not so pressing. Also, I thought I had IBS and was on the IBS diet to stabalize the diarriah. I had no clue the diarriah was caused by the celiac as I thought I was gluten free. GRRRRRRHHHHH! The IBS diet is quite high in carbs.

I still have concern with the Hypoglycemia diet to get enough calories. I have to push now with the rice/carbs etc to get 2000 calories per day. How do you get the calories?
I am going to start introducing more foods to my body. Hopefully I will be able to add some eggs and nuts. This celiac business is like wading through a mine field.
Do you think it is too early to introduce yogurt and kefir into my diet?
Being able to connect with such splendid and caring people here in the forum is saving my life. I have value for each and every one of you here in this community.
Cheerio
CynthiaST

I'd concentrate, in the beginning, on adding healthy fats. Nuts sound good. Eggs? I did well on leafy greens and veggies, but that's an issue for you. What about fattier cuts of meat? It isn't all about carbs...and adding carbs without protein or fat will probably make your glucose swing (which sucks).

Only you can decide if kefir is ok. Try it slowly and make sure it's the only thing you add...if you react you'll know that's it.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#23 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

Have you tried coconut milk?  I make smoothies and cream sauce with it.  It has a good deal of fat. 

D

#24 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

And you can make water or coconut kefir :).

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#25 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

t

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Cheerio... Can't have those. HAHA couldn't resist! 

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly. I completely understand the whole "balanced diet" issue and am struggling with it also. Last night for dinner I had wine, a Larabar and some ice cream. Not exactly a steller day.

You'll get it figured out!!! 

#26 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hi Cynthia,

Avocados are good for protein and healthy fats  If you can eat peanut butter that is also good.  You don't have to put peanut butter on bread.  You can mix it into hot cereals like corn meal mush or something.  Or eat it on apple slices.

Some meat with every meal is a good idea.  Protein is digested more slowly than carbs so it helps stabilize your blood sugar.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#27 CynthiaSt

CynthiaSt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

Thanks so much for all of your advice. It is always a question of balance and stability isn't it?

Onward through the fog. I know we will all find our way, it just takes time.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: