20 replies to this topic

#1 livinthelife

livinthelife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Going on two weeks after diagnosis. Bad symptoms for a year and a half but looking back, much longer. Cleaned kitchen, bought new stuff, got my act TOGETHER!!! Or so I thought...

I've messed up twice. Once was out to eat - which I already see as something that won't be like it used to be. I think it was the twice baked potato - who knew they could mix up the potato filling and add a binder to make it go further? The other time was with my trusty old iron skillet. I knew better, man oh man I knew better, but hadn't purchased a new one yet. Sautéed chicken. Sick all night, foggy and still sick all day. Joint pain. The whole enchilada - made with corn tortillas, of course!

I'm learning. I'm taking subligual B12 and extra calcium. The label reading is driving me nuts but I'm adjusting. 

These forums are a lifesaver. I've read the Newbie section too!

Just feeling a little sorry for myself and realizing that this is life long. No cheating. Ever. It's OK!!! I felt so much better with my *clean* full week that it's all the incentive I need to keep on trying. I swear even my eyes are brighter!! And I slept all night that week!! And I didn't wake up, ummmmmm, covered if ya know what I mean! That part is awesomeness!

Just want to say thank you for all I'm learning. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Going on two weeks after diagnosis. Bad symptoms for a year and a half but looking back, much longer. Cleaned kitchen, bought new stuff, got my act TOGETHER!!! Or so I thought...

I've messed up twice. Once was out to eat - which I already see as something that won't be like it used to be. I think it was the twice baked potato - who knew they could mix up the potato filling and add a binder to make it go further? The other time was with my trusty old iron skillet. I knew better, man oh man I knew better, but hadn't purchased a new one yet. Sautéed chicken. Sick all night, foggy and still sick all day. Joint pain. The whole enchilada - made with corn tortillas, of course!

I'm learning. I'm taking subligual B12 and extra calcium. The label reading is driving me nuts but I'm adjusting. 

These forums are a lifesaver. I've read the Newbie section too!

Just feeling a little sorry for myself and realizing that this is life long. No cheating. Ever. It's OK!!! I felt so much better with my *clean* full week that it's all the incentive I need to keep on trying. I swear even my eyes are brighter!! And I slept all night that week!! And I didn't wake up, ummmmmm, covered if ya know what I mean! That part is awesomeness!

Just want to say thank you for all I'm learning. Thanks!

Is the iron skillet a cast iron one? I've heard you can re-season those in the oven and it should be okay.

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

It's true, you can get them clean & then re-season them. Peter recently gave the method on a thread.

I always cooked with cast iron but decided to get rid of mine when we went gluten-free b/c they are just getting too heavy for me to handle these days & we aren't getting any younger!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself for messing up. Yes - it's not best and you don't want to do it but it happens. It's a totally new way of thinking. You have to be so suspicious of everything you eat. Read and verify and double check. Most people recommend that you try to avoid restaurants while you are healing and new to the process because cross contamination is such a risk when eating out. Hang in there! You're doing great! :)

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

Ugh! The mistakes and cc are frustrating! I was accidentally glutened within 3 days of starting the diet and I was soooo mad....at myself! But this is a learning process and it just takes some time to get the swing of things.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged. With time, things will get better....and easier!  :)

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Pretty soon it will be like second nature! Reading labels and such! Then one day you will just go get the brand you like and not have to read the label! It is scary to know they put Gluten in so much stuff! I do also wonder WHY? Why so much stuff in our food? I think alot of people are going gluten-free now adays! I see how horrid I used to eat now. Ohh well !! Good luck! I know after you do that CC a couple of times you sure learn to pay more attention! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Then one day you will just go get the brand you like and not have to read the label! 

I disagree with this. Formulations/ingredients change. That's how people get in trouble...... just picking up what they've always used. Your mantra should be:

EVERY LABEL, EVERY TIME. Forever.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

I agree with this.  You have to find a balance between totally anal retentive (like me, haha) and letting your guard down too much.  I will swoop through the store in a hurry sometimes and buy trusted brands but I always double check labels as I am putting up my groceries.  Just in case I didn't catch something.  You will get used to where on the labels the gluten free is, like on classico sauces it seems to be on the bottom left, etc. and it makes it faster for you.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#9 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Tonight I went out to eat. I talked to the waitress and made it clear that gluten free was medical and not a choice. She came back and told me the chef said I could have a certain salad and that she'd grill me a chicken breast separately with no seasonings. I knew she was taking me seriously with the "no seasonings" part!! She even brought me out separate containers with oil and vinegar!

I ran into the chef later and she said she's been trying different pastas and the like to figure out what on her menu can truly be called safely gluten free.

Thank you all for your positive, "that a girl" comments! Didn't even want the bread and garlic butter tonight.  Not too much anyway. :o)

#10 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

You can use your old cast iron skillet, if you have a "clean" cycle on your oven.  Put it in, run the clean cycle, and then re-season it.  There are plenty of blogs on how to re-season or check the Lodge Cast Iron website for directions.

Welcome!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

Tonight I went out to eat. 

:unsure: I hate to sound like a broken record, but we are suggesting honestly that you hold off on the eating out for a few months while you heal up your gut a little bit. Eating out right away after diagnosis is not always the best idea.

Sometimes a reaction to gluten is delayed and you may not be able to tell where or how it happened.(and I do not think it was your cast iron pan, either) 

I've been at this for 3+ years and I still get hit by well-meaning chefs, no matter how many questions I ask and no matter how much they assure me they "get it".

Be careful! Hang in there. It gets easier.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I disagree with this. Formulations/ingredients change. That's how people get in trouble...... just picking up what they've always used. Your mantra should be:

You are so right!! Because they will change the recipe!! You see I am kinda a newbie!! But yes!! I should know!! Thanks for the reminder!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#13 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

You are so right!! Because they will change the recipe!! You see I am kinda a newbie!! But yes!! I should know!! Thanks for the reminder!! 

Sure thing! I have to remind myself sometimes. I put something in the cart & then say OOPS!, pull it back out & read the label. On that, we have a lifetime of habit to change.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#14 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Sure thing! I have to remind myself sometimes. I put something in the cart & then say OOPS!, pull it back out & read the label. On that, we have a lifetime of habit to change.

Yes again!! Your right!! A life time of habit to change!! I do sometimes buy stuff at the store. I come home and read the label! Ughh stupid me!! But at least I read it before I cook it! Yes everyone has got to read every label every time! It is in your best interest always!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#15 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

I feel so lazy sometimes with all the label reading that I just don't eat. I've hardly eaten at all this week and only had three "real" meals. Other than that I just eat crackers and grab a slice of cheese or a handful of almonds. 

I keep losing weight and my goal is EAT and maybe prepare meals on Sunday that I can just grab during the week. Did any of you run into this in the beginning? I'm headed to the recipes forum to read. 

Whether or not it was my beloved iron skillet, I'm going to re-season them all this afternoon just to be on the safe side! I am amazed at how much better I'm feeling, so I'm going to take every precaution. I can actually stay awake past eight PM!!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: