30 replies to this topic

#1 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I know some people experience major bloating after eating foods with gluten in them...but I have been bloated almost non stop, even after cutting gluten out of my diet. 

My stomach is huge, I have no idea why the bloating won't go down. I am pretty careful, even going so far as to eliminate hand sanitizers and shampoos with gluten in them. I read that digestive supplements and probiotics as well as drinking more water can help the bloat go down. Does anyone else have any other tips? For awhile I couldn't drink much water...it was making me sick..but now I am gradually able to drink more water again, thankfully. Can anyone recommend good probiotics/digestive enzymes that actually work for bloating? It seems like there's always something wrong. I know my stomach is far too big for my size...it looks like I'm pregnant.. please help? :(

I also have gall stones, not sure if that matters...

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I can relate to being asked when the baby is due, when it is not!  :mellow: I remember the days when my tummy never went down anymore.  Mine appears to finally be subsiding, I don't know that I discovered a brilliant cure.

I am 18 months gluten free and have found many food intolerances and used supplements for support and healing.   I am using Restore Probiotic, and believe it is doing more than the others I have tried before , I am also using Genuine NZIMES Dr. Howell's Original Formula Extra Strength for enzymes.  They appear to be working for me, but perhaps when I started using them, it was just time to debloat?! 

I also am finding the SCD diet (special Carbohydrate Diet) a very delicious and satisfying diet.  It is specially for people with celiac that are trying to heal.  It tries to have you not eat foods that are hard to digest.

How long did you have symptoms and how long have you lived gluten free?

Best wishes for your healing, Hang in there.

D

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

I think Diane hit it when she said other intolerance's , after going Gluten free I found I had a corn intolerance and it made me bloat and gassy .... So you may want to do a food diary. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

How long have you been gluten-free? If it hasn't been very long, you could still just be bloated/inflamed.

If it has been a while, like the others said above, consider other food intolerances. I have discovered I can't do dairy. I do bloat from dairy, but only in my stomach (with gluten, it's my entire body - face, wrists, etc.).

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#5 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think Diane hit it when she said other intolerance's , after going Gluten free I found I had a corn intolerance and it made me bloat and gassy .... So you may want to do a food diary. 

Oh yeah. The corn bloat. I sure don't miss it!

I also find that MSM helps reduce inflammation.

Best,

D

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

What is MSM? I have never heard of that before. Always something huh?

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Thank you for the replies! I definitely don't think I have a corn intolerance. I guess it's possible, but I've never noticed a reaction with it, and I've been eating it more now since my diagnosis. I am lactose intolerant and I still eat dairy - but far less than I used to, and I take lactaid pills. 

1desperatelady - I have been gluten free for five months now. When did I start seeing symptoms...well, I've been on/off sick for half of my life (13 years now). All of my symptoms were random and seemingly unrelated, but they were all related to the celiac disease. I might try the enzymes you recommended. I was looking into Digest Gold digestive enzymes, but now that they've added "ATPro" to their forumla, I've seen a few negative reviews. Ugh it's like we just can't win. 

WestCoastgirl - what would you consider 'awhile'? I was diagnosed five months ago, so I gave up gluten about five months ago..and it's been a process. I'm working through getting rid of all body/hair products that have gluten in them, too. I don't think five months is that long, so hopefully it's like you said...I'm just still inflamed. :(

I just purchased Culturelle probiotics, so I'm hoping that helps too. :( 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:20 AM

Hi Waitinindreams,

Bacteria feeds on carbs and sugars.   Things like rice or sugary drinks are big fun meals for bacteria.  So it can help to avoid those things.  I like Naturemade products myself.  If you stick to meat and cooked veggies for a while it may help.  Peppermint tea can help get gas out of the stomach, but you shouldn't drink it every day IMHO.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

WaitinginDreams-

I didn't think I had other intolerances either.  But I definitely do!  I went on for a year of being gluten-free without figuring it out. Can't seem to digest corn.  Also, a fair amount of dairy gives me problems with C and a lot of dairy results in D- yikes.  

I was horribly bloated while I spend 5 weeks in a study abroad program in Germany.  Although I only had 2 cases of CC glutening that were mild, I could barely wear the pants I had with me on some days.  It was ridiculous!  Germany has lots of corn products instead of rice.  A couple corn cakes every morning resulted in wondering what I was going to wear the next day (Hmmm, how about a nice moo-moo?!?)  I have not been bloated in months and life is soooo much better.

Explore the possibility of other foods that may be bothering you- it's worth it.  Apparently, corn is hard to digest as well as beans.  So with our weakened systems, it makes sense that we can't tolerate them in large quantities, at least for now.  It's the same reason you are likely lactose intolerance.  Your little villi have been flattened and aren't producing enough enzymes.  I had no other symptoms besides bloating and constipation.  Don't let the word "intolerance" mislead you.  It is not the same as "gluten intolerance" and all the wonderful things that come with that label for so many.

#10 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for the replies! I definitely don't think I have a corn intolerance. I guess it's possible, but I've never noticed a reaction with it, and I've been eating it more now since my diagnosis. I am lactose intolerant and I still eat dairy - but far less than I used to, and I take lactaid pills. 

1desperatelady - I have been gluten free for five months now. When did I start seeing symptoms...well, I've been on/off sick for half of my life (13 years now). All of my symptoms were random and seemingly unrelated, but they were all related to the celiac disease. I might try the enzymes you recommended. I was looking into Digest Gold digestive enzymes, but now that they've added "ATPro" to their forumla, I've seen a few negative reviews. Ugh it's like we just can't win. 

WestCoastgirl - what would you consider 'awhile'? I was diagnosed five months ago, so I gave up gluten about five months ago..and it's been a process. I'm working through getting rid of all body/hair products that have gluten in them, too. I don't think five months is that long, so hopefully it's like you said...I'm just still inflamed. :(

I just purchased Culturelle probiotics, so I'm hoping that helps too. :(

You may have just not givin your gluten-free diet enuf time. And you know Corn is in just about everything. They add corn to alot of gluten-free stuff. Also canned goods, soda , not saying thats your problem just suggesting. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#11 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

I think that there are other food intolerances that are "hidden" by the Celiac or the gluten intolerance.  Like your body is working so hard to combat itself, in the case of Celiac disease, that it kind of fails to alert you to other problems.  For example, I never had an issues with citrus, then suddenly, after a year of being gluten free I was (and am) allergic to citrus!  I cannot have any citrus at all because the symptoms are like torture --burning, itching --no rash or eruptions, just terrible, terrible burning itching! 

I am starting to have sensitivities to other things now (2 years gluten free).....  I really cannot help believing that my body, fighting the celiac symptoms, was "masking" other intolerances, allergies, and issues.

And:  A food diary is an excellent idea!!  I kept a food diary for 7 years and it helped me to figure out a lot of things!!

What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#12 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

And actually If you have Celiac or are intolerant to Gluten, when 1st going on Gluten free Diet alot of people have problems with Dairy products. All to do with your Villi .... 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#13 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi Waitinindreams,

Bacteria feeds on carbs and sugars.   Things like rice or sugary drinks are big fun meals for bacteria.  So it can help to avoid those things.  I like Naturemade products myself.  If you stick to meat and cooked veggies for a while it may help.  Peppermint tea can help get gas out of the stomach, but you shouldn't drink it every day IMHO.

Why should one not drink peppermint tea everyday, GFinDC? I'm just curious. I have never heard that before. 

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Why should one not drink peppermint tea everyday, GFinDC? I'm just curious. I have never heard that before. 

Hi Belle Vie,

I think of peppermint tea as almost a medicine.  It has an affect on the stomach muscles, relaxing them.  Drinking it everyday means your body is always being affected like that.  The affect may not be as strong after a while, but probably won't stop completely.  Your body may become acclimated to it.  Then when you really want it to help you with a problem, it may not work as well as it could.  I used to drink peppermint tea all the time, it was my favorite tea.  I stopped it for a while, for no particular reason that I recall, and noticed my bowels were more active and stronger.  So maybe that was just me, but I believe it can affect our digestion process.  I still drink it sometimes, but not everyday.

The main benefit of peppermint tea in my opinion is to get gas out of the stomach.  I want to reserve it for that use when needed, so I don't drink it everyday.  Not that I have a big problem with stomach gas anymore, but it used to be an issue and cause a lot of pain for me.  I hope that makes some sense to you. :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#15 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yes, and thank you for explaining. I can certainly see that being the case! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: