30 replies to this topic

#16 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Wow, thank you again to everyone for your replies! I have recently been looking into the "Specific Carbohydrates Diet", (it's said to be good for people with any auto immune disorder, ranging from Ulcerative colitis to celiac disease) and I am hoping that helps with all of my symptoms. I cut out soda/all drinks apart from water (mostly) a long time ago, but I have noticed that my candidiasis noticeably flares up after I eat chocolate/sugar. I ordered SCD approved probiotics, digestive enzymes, and a multivitamin, so I really hope this all helps.

I think I'm going to look into the other intolerances - might as well. Is there a blood test for corn intolerance? Is there just a standardized test for all food intolerances? I never actually got tested for the lactose intolerance - I just figured it out myself when products with a lot of lactose were upsetting my stomach (milk, icecream, etc) and I found the lactaid pills helped. I did notice the bloating got down after I started taking Culturelle and cut back on rice...so could it be a rice intolerance, or does rice just make everyone bloat? I was eating far more rice products than corn, because I preferred the taste.

This is exhausting! 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I dreamed of doing an (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) test, but my doctor didn't offer it.  However, I had a good experience using Genova Food Intolerance testing.  They tested 60 foods and I had problems with 49.  When I cut these foods out of my diet, my mind cleared.  These tests are not yet qualified for insurance companies in the states yet.  The rotational diet that came with it further helped me to realize which foods were a problem as I added foods back in.  In order to eliminate so many things from my diet, I added in some more unusual meats, fruits, and vegetables nearly as many as I could find.

D

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

An elimination diet is a good way to find your other food intolerances.  There are blood tests for allergies but not many good tests for food intolerances.  So an elimination diet is the best bet.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

Well, it looks like I'm on the right track then! The diet I am currently trying now is a no grain diet...so corn and rice will both be eliminated until I heal completely (assuming the diet works) and then I can introduce them back in slowly, one at a time.

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#20 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Well, it looks like I'm on the right track then! The diet I am currently trying now is a no grain diet...so corn and rice will both be eliminated until I heal completely (assuming the diet works) and then I can introduce them back in slowly, one at a time.

That is an excellent idea! :) Hope you feel better soon...

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#21 coffngrl

coffngrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I know some people experience major bloating after eating foods with gluten in them...but I have been bloated almost non stop, even after cutting gluten out of my diet. 

My stomach is huge, I have no idea why the bloating won't go down. I am pretty careful, even going so far as to eliminate hand sanitizers and shampoos with gluten in them. I read that digestive supplements and probiotics as well as drinking more water can help the bloat go down. Does anyone else have any other tips? For awhile I couldn't drink much water...it was making me sick..but now I am gradually able to drink more water again, thankfully. Can anyone recommend good probiotics/digestive enzymes that actually work for bloating? It seems like there's always something wrong. I know my stomach is far too big for my size...it looks like I'm pregnant.. please help? :(

I also have gall stones, not sure if that matters...

I would highly recommend a visit to your gynecologist, ask for an ultrasound. It might be your celiac, but bloating is also a symptom of ovarian cysts and cancer. Not to be alarmist, but the symptoms of ovarian cancer are so close to celiac, and are subtle, so if you are this uncomfortable it's definitely worth checking into.

Otherwise, my nutritionist recommended eliminating all FODMAPS to help symptoms: that includes all fructose (apples in particular make my guts go crazy), fructans, oligosaccharides etc. That means no gluten, of course, no dairy (even lactaid milk and using lactaid pills lets a LOT of lactose through), no gassy beans like pinto, black beans, etc. no cabbage. There are lots of lists out there on the internet.

The FODMAPS diet absolutely fixed my symptoms, resulting in my Christmas miracle. But then I started adding things back and am struggling again. Guess I need some more time with it.

#22 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Let me know how the SCD goes!  I looked into that a while back in the middle of a desperate night, but I just couldn't commit because the two guys are such "salesmen".  I was wary of the commercial aspect of it.  But the foods that bother me the least at this point are the foods they say to start with- so maybe they know what they're doing :)  

There are many different forms of elimination diets and rotational diets out there.  I think it's a matter of picking your poison and finding which one sounds easiest to you.  People have improved on many different "plans" and often swear by them.

#23 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

There is a book about the SCD diet.  "Breaking the Vicious Cycle."  It is written by Elaine Gottschall B.A. M.S.c.  Their is a website associated with it that tells the legal foods.  I got a used copy online for a couple of dollars.  This type of diet has been helpful to me.

D

#24 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

The elimination diet really is the best choice for you right now. Your still so early into it and there is sooo much to learn. Cutting out any processed foods and hard to digest foods are a good idea. Once your systems heals you maybe able to tolerate things that bother you now. In the beginning I had a hard time with beans, corn, dairy, chocolate, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, nuts, greens.... pretty much I could eat rice and some veggies and most fruits, but now I can eat almost all of those, I still don't do dairy I don't tolerate it well the only dairy I consume is whatever might be in a candy bar. Anyways, it's a learning process and it's different for everyone. Good Luck!

Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#25 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thanks again everyone for your advice! So far so good on the diet - but it hasn't been too long. It's really hard to stick with it, but the results will be worth it, assuming it works.

My experience on the diet so far:

The candidiasis seems to be clearing up really nicely already, in addition to using the creams I was given to use before. I am not yet using any antifungals, but I am planning on doing an apple cider vinegar cleanse soon. I also plan to start incorporating coconut oil into my diet.

The rosacea seems to be clearing up better too - at times my face looks lighter than it ever has, and I don't notice as much flushing.  Some days I wake up and my face is really broken out, but just using some Neutrogena acne wash and aczone clears it up within a few hours.

The tinea versicolor is gone from what I can tell, but I think that faded away before I started this diet.

Visibly I don't see much of a change in the bloating/stomach area (which is scary) but my pants do fit looser. Since I am lactose intolerant, I did cut back on dairy A LOT, but I still eat cheddar and provolone cheese (both are SCD approved). I'm going to see if completely eliminating dairy helps my skin/bloating.

The sebhorreic dermatitis is doing much better as well...but I still have an issue with the back of my hairline, which of course is what causes the flakes. Ugh. I didn't know that lactaid pills still let a lot of lactose through, that is discouraging. I think I need to give dairy a rest for awhile :(

I made an appointment to visit with a Naturopath that my friend recommended me to see -  I am hoping he will give me some more ideas to really make sure I heal properly!

Thanks again everyone! 

#26 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

Good Luck let us know how it all goes! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#27 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

I know some people experience major bloating after eating foods with gluten in them...but I have been bloated almost non stop, even after cutting gluten out of my diet. 

My stomach is huge, I have no idea why the bloating won't go down. I am pretty careful, even going so far as to eliminate hand sanitizers and shampoos with gluten in them. I read that digestive supplements and probiotics as well as drinking more water can help the bloat go down. Does anyone else have any other tips? For awhile I couldn't drink much water...it was making me sick..but now I am gradually able to drink more water again, thankfully. Can anyone recommend good probiotics/digestive enzymes that actually work for bloating? It seems like there's always something wrong. I know my stomach is far too big for my size...it looks like I'm pregnant.. please help? :(

I also have gall stones, not sure if that matters...

I am a little under a year and a half gluten free now. Only recently have I discovered horrible bloating, gas and pain after eating large amounts of dairy. I seem to be ok with a yogurt here and there, a little cheese and half and half in my coffee. But if I eat a bowl of ice cream, or gluten-free Mac and Cheese, gluten-free pizza....I get very bloated. 

last night, I had ice cream and I was so bloated, gassy and sick to my stomach that I just went right to bed. Every so often I try to eat it, with the same results. I guess I should just give up. I was actually ok going Gluten Free, it was very non-eventful and I don't have cravings. But cutting Dairy hurts. 

#28 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

There are non-dairy ice creams available at your health food store. One of them is made with coconut "cream". I've never tried it but a friend of mine has and she loved it. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#29 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:12 AM

There are non-dairy ice creams available at your health food store. One of them is made with coconut "cream". I've never tried it but a friend of mine has and she loved it. :)

I think the coconut ice cream brand is called "So Delicious".  There are also gelato's and ices available as an alternative to dairy based stuff.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#30 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hi all!

The non dairy ice cream "So Delicious" (made with coconut milk - though they have a soy variety as well) IS very good! I got off the SCD diet when frustrated with it - but I have gone lactose free and mostly dairy free, apart from my almond cheese (no lactose, but has casein) I noticed that yeast seems to trigger GI symptoms..(bloating, "the big D") AND it seemed to make my skin issues worse...so I am off yeast as well. 

The bloating comes and goes. :( I never noticed my stomach so big as it was when my primary care doctor told me to try Gas-x for the bloat. It MADE me gassy, (which I took as a good sign, I thought it was kind of cleansing all of the gas out?) and then when I looked in the mirror I wanted to cry. My stomach was HUGE. HUGGGEE. Needless to say, I never touched those pills again. 

I think my bloating has to do with the lactose intolerance, the yeast issue, and I also just found out I have abdominal hernia (per my naturopathic doctor) but he says there are non surgical methods to treat that. I bet that is a good source of why I am bloated. (I'm very 'tender' and sore when the doctors push down on my stomach, and it feels kind of hard) So I'm guessing that once the hernia is corrected, the bloating will get better. I am not as consistently bloated as I once was, which is a good sign! I've also been advised to try digestive enzymes called Vitalzyme..anyone have luck with these? They claim to help digest gluten (and also casein)...not that I would ever intentionally eat gluten, but I wonder if it helps with CC issues? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: