This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Supplements

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Hi- I just had followup tests and all my food sensitivities have diminished dramatically since going gluten-free and also taking digestive enzymes and intestinal health supplements. My thyroid panel looked ok and negative for Hasimoto's, but my T3 thyroid is low and my adrenals are under performing so my doc put me on some supplements to treat that.  Thing is the supplements make me very bloated and gassy.  One supplement that has been a life saver is activated charcoal. i take it with foods i know will cause gas (even dairy if its in a dish) and it really helps.  If i take activated charcoal with these new supplements or maybe 20 min before i take the supplements it should help with the gas but could it possibly affect the efficacy of ingredients in the supplements?  would appreciate any input.  

Also my Vit D has been low for a while so I am now taking 10,000 IU daily - doc feels that could also be contributing to my dysbiosis and GI problems.

thanks

Jason

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Wow!  That seems like a lot of Vitamin D!  I'm deficient too, but only take 2,000 i.u./day.  I would cut back on the Vit. D.  It will build back slowly.  Remember, Rome wasn't build in a day! 

I'm always leary about exceeding "normal" standards on supplements without a doctor's approval or supervision.  

The charcoal from what I have read and what my doctor said, that it can interfere with absorbing good nutrients.  It's to be used only sparingly.   If you are getting lots of gas, then you shouldn't be eating foods or taking supplements that cause it.  Gas can be a symptom that something is wrong.  Listen to your body.

You were diagnosed with many food intolerances and unfortunately, they don't always go away (I feel for you there since I'm allergic to milk, and intolerant to garlic/onions, eggs, mushrooms, nuts and now Xanthan Gum.)  My food allergies and intolerances have been with me years and years before my celiac disease diagnosis with the exception of the Xanthan Gum and they haven't dimished since going gluten free.  

Finally, when my doc (MD) prescribed supplements, we always took baby steps when I was introduced to them.  For example, take one pill every other day, and then daily and then increase to two a day.  Stopping or cutting back down when symptoms develop.  He also recommended stopping all supplements for a period of a month to give my body a rest.  Also, I'd always split a multi- for better absorption.  

Hope this helps!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

From what I've read about activated charcoal it binds everything...which is why some people use it after a glutening to relieve symptoms. I doubt it's a good idea to take it on a regular basis if you already have nutrient absorption issues.

I understand you're trying to relieve distress, but from what I've read, charcoal probably isn't a long term solution.

jasonD2 Experienced

Well my food sensitivities have greatly diminished - probably do to healing my gut and taking digestive enzymes and HCL with all my meals.  I use the charcoal when im in situations where i dont want to be bloated (i.e. date, social, etc).  Problem now is i have supplements i need to take but they are very bloating and im not sure what else to do.  As for Vit D- it is non toxic and you can take 50,000 IU's a day - im just ramping up since im insufficient and my doc said 10,000 a day is fine.  i will drop to 5000 in the summer when im out in the sun more 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Isn't it 50,000 i.u. per week for about 8 weeks?  I'm not a doctor, but your current dosage seems excessive.

frieze Community Regular

Vit D, suggested 1000 IU for every unit of 10 you want to raise it....10000 is probably a little heavy, but shouldn't be problematic.  Take that routinely, myself.  you make that much with healthy skin exposure to the sun.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Vit D, suggested 1000 IU for every unit of 10 you want to raise it....10000 is probably a little heavy, but shouldn't be problematic.  Take that routinely, myself.  you make that much with healthy skin exposure to the sun.

My bad!  I mis-read and thought Jason was taking 50,000 per day which I really did think was excessive.  Thanks for the clarification.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jasonD2 Experienced

The RDA is 2000 IU a day but you can in theory go up to 100, 000 IU a day without any ill effects.  My doc and i discussed this at length. it just depends what the intent is. Vit D can be megadosed for therapeutic reasons or just to get back to a level of sufficiency 

Archived