This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gi Doc Ordered Another Ttg Test

moosemalibu

moosemalibu Collaborator

So I've only been gluten free since October 25th after my biopsy was performed. Will 6 weeks be a good indication of how I'm doing as far as antibodies go? I thought that antibodies could be elevated for quite some time (years even) after going gluten free...?

What's done is done. I already went and had my blood drawn for that plus a fasted lipid panel.

Jamie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Why don't you show your doctor information from celiac experts?

Open Original Shared Link

moosemalibu Collaborator

Why don't you show your doctor information from celiac experts?

Open Original Shared Link

Yeah.. that is what I thought.. Sigh. I get a totally new doctor in the new year with Obama Care discontinuing my old insurance so I get to find a whole new doctor to train (or not train.. maybe a good thing).

kareng Grand Master

Yeah.. that is what I thought.. Sigh. I get a totally new doctor in the new year with Obama Care discontinuing my old insurance so I get to find a whole new doctor to train (or not train.. maybe a good thing).

At least you will know not to get upset.

They discussed a study at ICDS, the point of the study isn't the interesting part right now. What was interesting is - they took Celiacs with negative TTGs. Fed them teeny tiny ( more than the 20 ppm though) amounts of gluten for 2 weeks. There TTGs didn't go positive. But 2 weeks later, after everyone went back to gluten-free food, the TTGs were positive. The point being - your TTG might rise for a while after you start eating gluten-free.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

KCG91 Enthusiast

Just from anecdotal experience - due to moving countries I got the results of my first blood test and went gluten-free for three weeks. I then had to eat gluten again for a week prior to another blood test. Both tests read the same despite the three weeks 'off'.

Going on the above and what I've seen elsewhere, that gluteny week might not have really affected my antibody levels at the time the blood was taken (GP had it half right then!) and presumably they didn't drop during the three weeks off? 

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure why he is ordering the test at this stage at all. Totally pointless.

It takes 6 months for major healing to occur, so what's his reasoning? 

Do not let this stress you out, okay--no matter what the test results say. They may still be elevated, but

that's not an indicator of anything (you are not messing up, you do not have refractory sprue, you do not have some other disease) You are just still healing, hon.

Makes no sense to me. (shaking my head) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Yay... another test to pay for that I did not need. Fantastic.

eers03 Explorer

I am one year out and my blood serum antibody markers plummeted from being gluten-free.  My TTG is still pretty elevated.  However, I am IGA Absent.  I was told that with IGA deficiency it can take longer than the average Celiac to have my tissue antibody markers begin to decline.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yay... another test to pay for that I did not need. Fantastic.

well, he may have his reasons, but I'd love to hear what they were. (I am curious that way) LOL

you know...that  why? why? why thing you and I share?

Ask him nicely to tell you? 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

*&#$ doctors... :angry:

moosemalibu Collaborator

well, he may have his reasons, but I'd love to hear what they were. (I am curious that way) LOL

you know...that  why? why? why thing you and I share?

Ask him nicely to tell you? 

Oh - I will ask him. Never fear. I'll report back when I get the call or email.

moosemalibu Collaborator

OK so I got my results back and a message from my doctor. He indicated that my titers were still elevated but had reduced from previous. He gave me access to the results. So... comparably they have reduced quite a bit. That at least is good to see. He said that he would like to re evaluate again in 2 months. I replied and sent him the link that Karen provided. He really has been a very good at listening and taking my concerns seriously. So I imagine if I didn't have to switch insurance he would have been a really good GI doc. He's a younger doctor so I feel like he may have been easier to talk to. Oh well.

So not a complete waste I guess. It actually makes me feel better to see them going down.

IrishHeart Veteran

Then, can I get a woot woot for missJamie yo?! woot woot!

moosemalibu Collaborator

Then, can I get a woot woot for missJamie yo?! woot woot!

Thanks Irish!! I am beyond happy to see some progress. :D

nvsmom Community Regular

Woot*Woot!   :D

Glad they are coming down already. :) I'm one whose tTG test took forever to come down. My last test was at about 15 month gluten-free and it finally had almost hit normal BUT I had started steroids so I'm sure that did something to the results.... The members on here helped me with my patience.  LOL

moosemalibu Collaborator

Woot*Woot!   :D

Glad they are coming down already. :) I'm one whose tTG test took forever to come down. My last test was at about 15 month gluten-free and it finally had almost hit normal BUT I had started steroids so I'm sure that did something to the results.... The members on here helped me with my patience.  LOL

Must be a recurring theme to start out with zero patience! LOL Here's to your numbers coming down and staying down real soon!

:) 

Archived