16 replies to this topic

#1 JenM

JenM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

There will be an episode of Mystery Diagnosis on The Learning Channel dealing with Celiac this week. (I think it's Thursday, but I'm not sure.)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][COLOR=blue]
"A joyful heart is good medicine."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kevsmom

kevsmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

Mystery Diagnosis - Like Mother, Like Son will air on Discovery Health Channel on October 28 at 8:00 p.m. and October 30 at 5:00 p.m. It is about a child discovered to have Celiac Disease.
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

Discovery health channel--is that different from the regular Discovery Channel?

#4 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

Discovery health channel--is that different from the regular Discovery Channel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, unfortunately. Sometimes they will put things on the regular Discovery or TLC from the health channel to promote the health channel, but not on a regular basis. It costs way too much for me to extend my cable to include the health channel, darn it. But a friend at work saw that program already and told me about it (and this was after I had a fiasco at a seminar where the meal was provided, banquet style). He said that the mother had celiac disease, didn't realize that her boy had it too, as he was asymptomatic. But he did have learning/memory problems. It was because of that that he was dx with celiac disease. My friend said that she was feeding him healthy foods, but starving him at the same time because of the malabsorption issues. At least ONE person in my office has a better understanding of what I can experience if glutened.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#5 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

My boss saw it, told me all about it. It was cool, I think she understands it alot more now. She's been cool about it but has been hinting that I've been kinda hypochodriacing a little. I flipped out at someone cause they were eating a sandwich and just walked up and put thier hand in the bag of Cheetos I was munching on, I just gave him the cheetos. She thought I was overreacting, and now she's like "wow, its really hardcore and they think lots of people have it" So its getting out there, slowly.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#6 jrom987

jrom987

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

Thank you! I just set my TiVo to record that. :D

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

Yep, unfortunately.  Sometimes they will put things on the regular Discovery or TLC from the health channel to promote the health channel, but not on a regular basis.  It costs way too much for me to extend my cable to include the health channel, darn it.  But a friend at work saw that program already and told me about it (and this was after I had a fiasco at a seminar where the meal was provided, banquet style).  He said that the mother had celiac disease, didn't realize that her boy had it too, as he was asymptomatic.  But he did have learning/memory problems.  It was because of that that he was dx with celiac disease.  My friend said that she was feeding him healthy foods, but starving him at the same time because of the malabsorption issues.  At least ONE person in my office has a better understanding of what I can experience if glutened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aww...darn.

#8 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:32 PM

I just watched that! I should've recorded it! Those catatonic seizure like episodes the kid had are like the ones I had as a child... they tested me for epilepsy and dx it as "non specific seizure disorder" Wild...

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:34 AM

Those catatonic seizure like episodes the kid had are like the ones I had as a child... they tested me for epilepsy and dx it as "non specific seizure disorder" Wild...

I couldn't watch it unfortunately. But I'm starting to get interested. What's that? Catatonic seizure like episodes...? testing for epilepsy...? I didn't know, that was possible. Waaay long ago in germany I once had a blood test and my doctor told me, that I have to be careful not to get an epileptic attack??? (not sure what you call this in english???) What's this? And how could he find out with a normal blood test??? Weird...
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#10 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

it's hard to describe... in my case I had periods where I would "zone out" where I was aware of everything going on around me but I couldn't respond at all, and outward appearances looked like I was daydreaming or just not paying attention... but I also had episodes where I would involuntarily jerk all over for a few seconds and forget everything I was saying right before it happened.

Neurological disorders are now being recognized as being connected to celiac and gluten intolerance, the boy on the show didn't have any digestive symptoms, only neurological ones.

#11 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:19 AM

and outward appearances looked like I was daydreaming or just not paying attention...

Sounds like me, but I never actually "zoned" out!
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#12 cornbread

cornbread

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Neurological disorders are now being recognized as being connected to celiac and gluten intolerance, the boy on the show didn't have any digestive symptoms, only neurological ones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great that they chose to showcase smoeone with neurological symptoms. I find it hard for people to comprehend (believe) how much gluten effects my brain. I think you say food intolerance and people just figure if you eat too much of that food you'll have to run to the bathroom. FOr me it's nothing like that. It's good that they are shattereing the celiac myth of it just being a GI problem.

#13 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

I had few gut issues, it was all weight, mental and fatigue issues. The brain fog would get so bad I was like a zombie sometimes.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#14 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

Did this show ever air again?

#15 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:41 AM

If you go to the Discovery Health Channel website, offshoot of Discovery Channel, they offer you a chance to find out when a show will re aired; and enter in the title of it and they'll email you when it's on next time.

D.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: