Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Parkrun Worldwide

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to start running (or improve of course). Here in the UK 'parkrun' is pretty big - it's a free, timed 5k run held in parks (surprisingly enough) on Saturday mornings. It occurred to me that it'd be a really good environment for anyone recovering from Coeliac and wanting to run/exercise in a really supportive environment. There are several people at each of my local runs who I know are dealing with various health issues and walk/run around the course, with the support of everyone involved :) They are held all over the world and I'd really recommend them to anyone interested in running :)

Ads by Google:

I always thought the color runs that are 5K's are fun to start out with, too. I live in the US but that sounds very cool!

Yeah they are similar I think :) There are definitely parkruns in the US too :) I just think they are great... There's a woman at my home run who suffers bouts of extreme M.E. and even if she's walk-shuffling around all the marshals stay out to support her. Heartwarming :)

My goal is to do a 5K.. Not bad for someone who could barely walk the length of my driveway at diagnosis. I was in terrible pain 24/7.

They said I had fibromyalgia, possible AS, possibly MS, damaged discs and nerve damage that might be irreversible.

One doc told me to get a "motorized scooter" to get around if I could not walk. ( I refused to believe that),

But this is not the case. It was OA and celiac causing all that muscle weakness and atrophy, bone pain and general fuss.

I did 2 years of PT and chiropractic and started gentle yoga to strengthen my core muscles. 

I began weight training 2-3 X a week in January and last week, I walked 2 miles in just 40 minutes.

I am so excited by this progress, I want to do cartwheels. Maybe I'l try that next! lol

I think the whole "exercise with a supportive group" idea is really fantastic!! Even if you just walk and get fresh air!

I am not sure I will ever be able to run, but I can walk.

Maybe I will start one up with the neighbors when we move into our new community in February. (waiting for our house to be finished

down here in Florida)  No excuses about the weather getting in the way of exercise down here. lol

So glad I read the board this morning. You planted a seed!  ;) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Ok, that was my understanding of it too after some reading, but the fact that the result was under "celiac reflex panel" is what confused me.    I do have some unspecified autoimmune activity going on in my body. My inflammation levels are very high, my complement testing has come back off, and nobody really knows why. A total high Iga isn't a surprise in this case if it doesn't actually hab anything to do with gluten. Going gluten free made my inflammation markers rise rather than go down, so I'm inclined to believe I'm mostly okay with gluten, aside from some digestive issues that I believe are simply from the wheat not being fermented. Sourdough causes me no issue,  but soft white bread destroys me for example. Anyways, It's all very confusing and I wish I knew what the heck was going on with my body. 
    • maybe check exactly which blood tests you had done as well if the dermatologist doesn't know much about celiac its possible they didn't run enough
    • i think chips would vary from place to place depending on the ingredients where you go
    • Hey Everyone! Been celiac for 6 years, and it's my first time on a forum.  I assume my story is the same as most of yours: I was really sick and skinny and bloated, got diagnosed with celiac, went gluten-free and felt amazing, then slowly, but surely, the symptoms and elevated antibodies returned, no matter how OCD I am about avoiding cc. Basically I have what they call Non-Responsive Celiac disease.  I'm wondering, is there something ELSE that I can do? Clearly the gluten-free diet isn't enough anymore. I know I'm not alone in this experience. And I know doctors don't have any advice besides the gluten-free diet (and the new celiac drug that is apparently in phase III)). But do you guys know of any other tricks?  I went on anti-anxiety SSRIs for a bit to help with my anxiety problems, and that really helped my celiac. But now that I've sort of developed a tolerance to my low dose, the symptoms have returned. Anyone else try this? Or low doses or steroids/anti-inflammatory drugs?  I'm really sick of feeling sick. I even tried the Fasano (Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet) for 3 months, but it didn't really work. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated! Or even the names of doctors who have helped you!  
    • 60% of celiacs with dh test negative on the celiac blood work. Fact. Many people with DH have no digestive symptoms and only about 40% of them have the positive blood tests (serology) for celiac disease.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member