#1 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Hi all,

Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to start running (or improve of course). Here in the UK 'parkrun' is pretty big - it's a free, timed 5k run held in parks (surprisingly enough) on Saturday mornings. It occurred to me that it'd be a really good environment for anyone recovering from Coeliac and wanting to run/exercise in a really supportive environment. There are several people at each of my local runs who I know are dealing with various health issues and walk/run around the course, with the support of everyone involved :) They are held all over the world and I'd really recommend them to anyone interested in running :)

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I always thought the color runs that are 5K's are fun to start out with, too. I live in the US but that sounds very cool!

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yeah they are similar I think :) There are definitely parkruns in the US too :) I just think they are great... There's a woman at my home run who suffers bouts of extreme M.E. and even if she's walk-shuffling around all the marshals stay out to support her. Heartwarming :)

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

My goal is to do a 5K.. Not bad for someone who could barely walk the length of my driveway at diagnosis. I was in terrible pain 24/7.

They said I had fibromyalgia, possible AS, possibly MS, damaged discs and nerve damage that might be irreversible.

One doc told me to get a "motorized scooter" to get around if I could not walk. ( I refused to believe that),

But this is not the case. It was OA and celiac causing all that muscle weakness and atrophy, bone pain and general fuss.

I did 2 years of PT and chiropractic and started gentle yoga to strengthen my core muscles. 

I began weight training 2-3 X a week in January and last week, I walked 2 miles in just 40 minutes.

I am so excited by this progress, I want to do cartwheels. Maybe I'l try that next! lol

I think the whole "exercise with a supportive group" idea is really fantastic!! Even if you just walk and get fresh air!

I am not sure I will ever be able to run, but I can walk.

Maybe I will start one up with the neighbors when we move into our new community in February. (waiting for our house to be finished

down here in Florida)  No excuses about the weather getting in the way of exercise down here. lol

So glad I read the board this morning. You planted a seed!  ;) 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: