Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Parkrun Worldwide

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to start running (or improve of course). Here in the UK 'parkrun' is pretty big - it's a free, timed 5k run held in parks (surprisingly enough) on Saturday mornings. It occurred to me that it'd be a really good environment for anyone recovering from Coeliac and wanting to run/exercise in a really supportive environment. There are several people at each of my local runs who I know are dealing with various health issues and walk/run around the course, with the support of everyone involved :) They are held all over the world and I'd really recommend them to anyone interested in running :)

Ads by Google:

I always thought the color runs that are 5K's are fun to start out with, too. I live in the US but that sounds very cool!

Yeah they are similar I think :) There are definitely parkruns in the US too :) I just think they are great... There's a woman at my home run who suffers bouts of extreme M.E. and even if she's walk-shuffling around all the marshals stay out to support her. Heartwarming :)

My goal is to do a 5K.. Not bad for someone who could barely walk the length of my driveway at diagnosis. I was in terrible pain 24/7.

They said I had fibromyalgia, possible AS, possibly MS, damaged discs and nerve damage that might be irreversible.

One doc told me to get a "motorized scooter" to get around if I could not walk. ( I refused to believe that),

But this is not the case. It was OA and celiac causing all that muscle weakness and atrophy, bone pain and general fuss.

I did 2 years of PT and chiropractic and started gentle yoga to strengthen my core muscles. 

I began weight training 2-3 X a week in January and last week, I walked 2 miles in just 40 minutes.

I am so excited by this progress, I want to do cartwheels. Maybe I'l try that next! lol

I think the whole "exercise with a supportive group" idea is really fantastic!! Even if you just walk and get fresh air!

I am not sure I will ever be able to run, but I can walk.

Maybe I will start one up with the neighbors when we move into our new community in February. (waiting for our house to be finished

down here in Florida)  No excuses about the weather getting in the way of exercise down here. lol

So glad I read the board this morning. You planted a seed!  ;)