1 reply to this topic

#1 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ugh!  Another intolerance identified!  This time it is xanthan gum.  I have have used xantham gum for years in baking for my gluten-free husband.  Now that I have been diagnosed, my own consumption rate of it has increased (as I heal, I've been feeling better and have been inspired to bake).  

I confess that I eat a lot.  When cookies come out of the oven, I've been known to eat at least 10 of them within an hour!  I am a pig, even though I know moderation is best! B)  So, knowing that I won't change that lifelong behavior (and don't want to), I switched to guar gum and I have been fine. Then I made tacos two weeks ago and used gluten-free taco sauce.  I got my stabbing stomach pains within a few minutes so I ran back into the kitchen and read the taco sauce label.  Yep, it contained xanthan gum! (Oh, my gluten-free husband does not even have any issues, so I know that I'm not getting "glutened".)

Does anyone else have issues with xanthan gum?  This new intolerance really puts a damper on purchasing processes gluten-free foods which are handy to consume when you are traveling!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Oh, so sorry to hear that!  :(   In baking it is not strictly necessary to use it but I understand what you are saying about your limitations in purchasing products that are convenient for travel.  Dumb intolerances!  :angry:

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: