Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Xanthan Gum

2 posts in this topic

Ugh!  Another intolerance identified!  This time it is xanthan gum.  I have have used xantham gum for years in baking for my gluten-free husband.  Now that I have been diagnosed, my own consumption rate of it has increased (as I heal, I've been feeling better and have been inspired to bake).  

I confess that I eat a lot.  When cookies come out of the oven, I've been known to eat at least 10 of them within an hour!  I am a pig, even though I know moderation is best! B)  So, knowing that I won't change that lifelong behavior (and don't want to), I switched to guar gum and I have been fine. Then I made tacos two weeks ago and used gluten-free taco sauce.  I got my stabbing stomach pains within a few minutes so I ran back into the kitchen and read the taco sauce label.  Yep, it contained xanthan gum! (Oh, my gluten-free husband does not even have any issues, so I know that I'm not getting "glutened".)

Does anyone else have issues with xanthan gum?  This new intolerance really puts a damper on purchasing processes gluten-free foods which are handy to consume when you are traveling!

Ads by Google:

Oh, so sorry to hear that!  :(   In baking it is not strictly necessary to use it but I understand what you are saying about your limitations in purchasing products that are convenient for travel.  Dumb intolerances!  :angry:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Yes like a protein powder. I visit a local store there is so many brands and on every brand have write gluten free.that's way I confused which one is best any suggestions ! 
    • Do you mean something like a protein powder you could mix up?  A lot of them in the US seem to be gluten free.  Maybe just go to your local store and read all the labels?
    • Yeah I ended up allergic to corn, olives, sesame, whey, and peanuts and intolerant to dairy, soy, yeast, enzyme issues with breaking down meats, and egg yolks, along with extreme bloat with any kind of carbs/sugars in moderate amounts. And very adverse reactions to certain artificial sweeteners. So your not alone in all the other issues cropping up, it happens as our bodies adjust.  I eat a bunch of stir frys with veggies, egg whites, plenty of  avocados, and toasted and raw forms of almonds, coconut, cashews, walnuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sancha inchi seeds, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds in all forms including making them into butters, spreads, and incorporating them into sauces.   Most meals are forms of soups, omelettes, and stir frys. I do the seeds and nuts on rotation same with my veggies and snack on fruits in small amounts along with some homemade baked goods I make for markets. I do suggest a rotation of foods, my dietician said I need to rotate my foods to prevent more issues, making sure I am off one one for at least 7-14 days at a time completely. I find changing up the spices and rotating my cuisine base works well. I also make puddings, and protein shakes along with nut/seed milks, and different bases and extract flavorings to get my random cravings Taken care of. Guess take what you can from this and and see how it can help you,    As to the tinging, I ended up with both B vitamin and magnesium deficiency issues, the magnesium one caused a fire like tingling in my arms, legs and back, along with muscle pain. Ended up on a doctors best powder form of it so I can dose it out right, and found epsom salt bathes helped.  
    • GLUTEN-FREE CERTIFICATION · FOOD SERVICES ... Celiac disease is an inherited condition, meaning that genetics do play a role. The chances ... View the full article
    • Hi, I've gained so much knowledge on this forum over the past few months, which I am so thankful for. I can see how much hell people are going through with this disease and it's so lovely to see how much support and advice people give to others on here. I'd like a little bit of reassurance and advice myself from anyone that can help. I've been gluten free for six months. Two weeks after going gluten free I realised I also had a problem with corn so cut out processed food. Over the following weeks and months I continually had problems with food; fruit, dairy, a lot of vegetables, nuts, soya....it's basically dwindled down to just eating potatoes (not white potatoes), cucumber, lettuce, small amounts of red onion, spring onion, sprouts and beetroot. There may be more things I could be okay with but to be honest I'm too scared to try.  Is this all normal? Am I an extreme case? I've been taking some digestive enzymes and probiotics for about six weeks, my acid reflux has dramatically decreased but I always have a lot of loud noises going on in my guts, I'm guessing this is the probiotics working.  I've lost nearly 3st in weight since this started - which I'm not complaining about as I was overweight due to thyroid problems. I've had loads of blood tests done recently, all organs are working 'great' according to my doctor, the only thing they've picked up on is ketones, I seem to be having a glucose problem, which might explain my exhaustion and weight loss. I also have permanent numbness and sometimes tingling in one of my legs and sometimes hands and one shoulder, I thought it could have vitamin B12 deficiency but that's okay according to blood tests. I would be greatful for any replies. Thanks for reading.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    EllianaEthan