This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Envelope Glue

NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

So last night I'm filliing out all of my Christmas cards and as I was about to lick the first envelope... I paused.  Since my diagnosis I pause pretty much every time I'm about to put something in my mouth.  So I Googled it... does envelope glue have gluten in it?  I didn't find any seemingly "expert" sources, but it seems that the general consensus is that envelope adhesive is made from corn starch, not gluten.  However, a couple people mentioned that they thought some paper has wheat pulp in it... but no evidence that you could actually get glutened from the envelope.

I've resigned myself to using a sponge from now on just to be safe.

And lets face it... envelope glue is nasty business anyhow.

But I wanted to mention this for those of you who also have a corn issue.  Just in case.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Another Celiac myth. Around here somewhere is a letter from the Envelope Association.  Most glue is synthetic these days.

I hate licking them and use a little bit of paper towel.

IrishHeart Veteran

I licked 45 Christmas card envelopes and I am fine. :) The only thing that happened was I got thirsty and drank a vodka and seltzer with lemon to quench my thirst.

"Tonya Muse, senior vice president of the Envelope Manufacturers Association, states that adhesives used on envelopes do not contain gluten.

There are actually only a few envelope glue manufacturers in the US. National Starch & Chemical, a New Jersey company, is one of the largest adhesive suppliers in the world. A company spokesperson says it makes its glue from corn, which is gluten free.

As for postage stamps, the US Postal Service points out that 98 to 99 percent of the stamps it now sells are pressure adhesive stamps. You peel them off a paper backing and press them onto your mail. No licking required for anyone, including celiacs. Even if you happen to get a stamp that needs to be licked, the adhesive on it is gluten free, says Roy Betts, a spokesman for the US Postal Service."

Open Original Shared Link

and from the Univ. of Chicago Celiac Disease Center:

Does envelope adhesive contain gluten?

From the Open Original Shared Link, “Is there gluten in envelope adhesives?

Remoistenable adhesives are derived from corn starch and do not contain wheat or rye gluten.”

Envelope glue is SAFE for celiacs.

bartfull Rising Star

Last week I went to the post office to get a money order to buy a guitar. I had the envelope already addressed and stamped so all I had to do was drop the money order in it and stick it in the mail. I looked around for a sponge like they used to have at post offices and there was none. A lady in line asked what was wrong. I told her I was "allergic to corn" and that the envelope glue was made from it.

She licked it for me. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Last week I went to the post office to get a money order to buy a guitar. I had the envelope already addressed and stamped so all I had to do was drop the money order in it and stick it in the mail. I looked around for a sponge like they used to have at post offices and there was none. A lady in line asked what was wrong. I told her I was "allergic to corn" and that the envelope glue was made from it.

now, that is truly a good samaritan.  ;)

Another Celiac myth. Around here somewhere is a letter from the Envelope Association.  Most glue is synthetic these days.

I hate licking them and use a little bit of paper towel.

Do you mean the corn starch is a myth too? 

That's awesome... brave woman... but that's awesome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Do you mean the corn starch is a myth too?

Sounds like they do use a little corn starch. But, that isn't the myth you were repeating or asking about. They don't contain gluten.

cm

1desperateladysaved Proficient

So, this finally settles why I reacted to envelope licking.  I have more of a problem with corn than wheat!

D

Sounds like they do use a little corn starch. But, that isn't the myth you were repeating or asking about. They don't contain gluten.

Oh good... I came to the same conclusion.  No gluten.  As I said, I was just sharing this for those on here who have an issue with corn.

notme Experienced

i quit licking envelopes years ago.  gagg.  no gluten or corn reason, it's just gross.  if i have one i need to seal, i hit it with a wet kleenex or make somebody else lick it.  if i buy envelopes, i buy the peel n seal ones. 

everybody knows stamp & envelope glue is made from horse hooves <not true but that's probably why i quit licking them.  grrrrossss...... they walk around in horse poo....

IrishHeart Veteran

everybody knows stamp & envelope glue is made from horse hooves <not true but that's probably why i quit licking them.  grrrrossss...... they walk around in horse poo....

Oh horse pucks....My Grams used to say  "you have to eat a peck o' dirt before you die"...meh.... what's a  little horse poo flavored glue?  :lol:

quit spreading false glue rumors < "Gluemors" (get it?) you little wise apple. :lol: now, go to your corner  and eat chex.

notme Experienced

Oh horse pucks....My Grams used to say  "you have to eat a peck o' dirt before you die"...meh.... what's a  little horse poo flavored glue?  :lol:

quit spreading false glue rumors < "Gluemors" (get it?) you little wise apple. :lol: now, go to your corner  and eat chex.

it was more distressing thinking of all those horses walking around without hooves.........

(ok!  ok!  i'll behave!  :P )

IrishHeart Veteran

it was more distressing thinking of all those horses walking around without hooves.........

(ok!  ok!  i'll behave!  :P )

gah...now I'll be having nightmares about hoof-less horses.   Don't tattle ....you are unable to behave.  :P it makes you adorable.

• 2 years later...
Galixie Contributor

I realize this is an old thread, but it's relevant to me at the moment because I did become ill yesterday and the only thing out of the ordinary I can point to is the fact that I licked an envelope. I wanted to think it was somehow coincidence because one envelope surely would not have enough of anything in it to make me ill, yet there was truly nothing else I could blame it on. Can I just say that I hate the way I can never know for sure if something may or may not have made me sick? Grr.

kareng Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Galixie said:

I realize this is an old thread, but it's relevant to me at the moment because I did become ill yesterday and the only thing out of the ordinary I can point to is the fact that I licked an envelope. I wanted to think it was somehow coincidence because one envelope surely would not have enough of anything in it to make me ill, yet there was truly nothing else I could blame it on. Can I just say that I hate the way I can never know for sure if something may or may not have made me sick? Grr.

I saw a show about all the gross stuff that walks and licks and lays eggs in glue on paper - like boxes and envelopes.  The manufacturers all say that they do not use wheat in the glue, it  costs more.  The only envelopes that have to be wet, are the cheaper ones, so I would guess they go with the cheaper glue.

squirmingitch Veteran

Open Original Shared Link

Excerpted from the above:

Glue (primarily found on stamps and envelopes)

Why it’s on worry lists: This is a good question. Possibly because if you mix wheat flour with water, you get a kind of primitive glue.

Why you don’t have to worry: The U.S. Postal Service and the association that represents envelope makers say their glue does not contain harmful gluten.  In fact, there are only a few envelope glue makers in the U.S. and the largest one makes its adhesive from corn. More than 98 percent of all stamps sold by the U.S. Postal Service are self adhesive and do not require licking. The other 2 percent do not contain gluten in the glue.

Why that’s a good thing: Now that you know there is no gluten in glue, you can stop wasting time worrying about it and ignore any and all newspaper stories, blogs, etc. that perpetrate this myth.

bartfull Rising Star

Yes, think about it. Would you go into a public place and lick a doorknob? Of course not. So why would you lick an envelope that who knows how many people (and other things) have touched? A tiny corner of a paper towel, dampened and run across the surface of the glue will seal your envelope and help you avoid germs.

Galixie Contributor

I normally don't lick envelopes (because I don't like the taste and texture of the glue), but I was in a situation where I needed to get an envelope in the mail and I didn't have any other way to seal it. I don't think I've ever gotten sick from licking an envelope before, so this was a surprise. I'm thoroughly stumped on what could have caused illness. Thankfully I'm doing much better today. :)

bartfull Rising Star

When I have no other way to seal an envelope, even if my hands are dirty I can spit on my finger and then run that over the glue.

Glad you're feeling better. :)

Archived