Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Trouble Sleeping After Going gluten-free?

8 posts in this topic

This topic came up somewhere else I had posted. Did anyone notice that their child started having trouble sleeping after you went gluten-free? If so, how long did it last? Our son has been waking up much earlier since we went gluten-free and we're into our 4th week. It's not a good thing either as his behavior is reflecting it.

Ads by Google:

My daughter started sleeping much less, but for her it was a good thing. She was sleeping more soundly and abruptly stopped napping, whereas she'd been taking 3-hour naps for months before. I think she'd been feeling so yucky and exhausted after eating lunch that she basically just collapsed in bed and tried to sleep off the gluten. She'd still wake up grumpy after 2-3 hours. Now she rarely naps and also sleeps less at night, but she seems much more rested. That sounds different than how it's affecting your son, though.

Some folks go through withdrawals for the first few weeks. Hopefully, your son will start sleeping better soon!

Yes this also happened with my daughter. Unfortunately it hasn't improved and it's been 6 months. 

We're there too.  I really do miss those three hour naps, though...

Insomnia comes with low B12 levels, oddly since you are also tired all the time.

I suffered insomnia really bad before I went gluten free. It resolved after about a month of gluten free. 

our daughter had a really hard time going to sleep after she went gluten-free.  it was so crazy to see but she would stay up super late (in her bed) and pop out of bed bright and early.  before she was gluten-free she could sleep in until 10-11am.  it lasted for about a month or so then it balanced out nicely.  good luck!