38 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

As for the hostility of others, I sometimes wonder if it is because they know they need to change their diet but don't want to, so they become resentful of those of us who do.

I agree with your thoughts entirely, CQ.

In my experience, this is true of many things besides the G F diet, too.

People often scoff at those who go against the norm or those who change things in their lives to make them better.

And people often ridicule things they do not really understand 

Debbie downers exist everywhere.

Deep down, they wish they had the stones to affect such changes too.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

People often scoff at those who go against the norm or those who change things in their lives to make them better.

And people often ridicule things they do not really understand 

Yep - they are definitely everywhere.  I call it the gang mentality.  If you dare to suggest that there might be a better way to live, you get jumped.  The ironic thing is that we aren't trying to get them to change their lifestyle - just to get out of way from bettering our own.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#33 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

My words to live by:

I can't control what happens (or what others say). I can only control how I react.

A short line to the wait person assuring them that your condition is serious is smart. I have never had a problem after that explanation. If a relative or close friend is rude, looking them in the eye and saying, "It hurts me when you say that" will usually work wonders. If it is a random person, I have no problem staring at them like they have two heads and then walking away.

#34 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Someone told a story in another thread about finding that the new Pillsbury refrigerated gluten

free stuff in the grocery store was out of date, so she pointed it out to the pair of stockboys

just down the aisle. One of them replied something like "Well I think people who eat gluten free

are annoying anyway". She replied to him, "Well, I have a medical condition, which means that

when I eat gluten I get very, very sick. So.... I just don't have anything nice to say to you about

that."

I LOVE THAT! "I just don't have anything nice to say to you about that." I've been waiting for an

opportunity to use that line and haven't had one yet.....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#35 Glittersmith

Glittersmith

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

I have spent the last few minutes laughing my head off and saving some great comebacks for next time.   You lot are all so cleaver!!!

#36 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I have spent the last few minutes laughing my head off and saving some great comebacks for next time.   You lot are all so cleaver!!!

That's what happens when you are no longer a gluten head........the zingy comebacks just flow!  :lol:

#37 terryjwood

terryjwood

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

I would love to say to a hater, "you know, I was like you once. I loved bread, beer and cake. Then one day, 'bam!' I had celiac disease. It could happen to you. Think about that."

Some folks have given me a hard time about my need for gluten-free food.  I just tell them the truth: "Until I was 50, I could eat anything.  I wasn't allergic to anything.  Then overnight I became gluten intolerant.  One day I was fine and the next day I had this illness.  If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.  It could happen to you.  It could happen today!  You'll never see it coming."

Frankly I saw more of this during the great recession.  I see far less of it now.  There seemed to be some resentment towards anyone with a "special need" as if my gluten intolerance had damaged the economy! :-)

#38 terryjwood

terryjwood

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

I have to talk about my disease because I am usually at a gathering where we are eating. So it comes up. I have never had anyone say anything negative. I have heard the "ohhh I feel so sorry for you" and like someone stated "I would just die if I couldn't eat bread" LOL I just say well It is a diet that is not my choice to make, I have got to follow it or be sick for the rest of my life. But really I have not had any negativity . I find people are more curious than ever about it. I also have had someone say "I should follow that diet." lol  I am waiting to find a person that is negative because I will probably let them have it with both barrels.

I've posted on my Facebook page a lot of information about Celiac disease and gluten intolerance.  I've had a number of my friends contact me because they've noticed they have some of the symptoms.  (I give them my doctors' names and suggest they see them!)

When they ask about my not being able to eat bread, I let them know that I eat a lot of bread!  I tell them about the gluten free bread I bake at home with Jules Shepard's flour and how my home made bread is so much better than any store bought bread!  That usually surprises people. 

I tell them that while I eat differently than they do, there's almost nothing I can't make gluten free. I eat really well these days.  I miss nothing about my old gluten filled diet and I enjoy having my health back!

Edited by terryjwood, 23 January 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#39 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I've posted on my Facebook page a lot of information about Celiac disease and gluten intolerance.  I've had a number of my friends contact me because they've noticed they have some of the symptoms.  (I give them my doctors' names and suggest they see them!)

When they ask about my not being able to eat bread, I let them know that I eat a lot of bread!  I tell them about the gluten free bread I bake at home with Jules Shepard's flour and how my home made bread is so much better than any store bought bread!  That usually surprises people. 

I tell them that while I eat differently than they do, there's almost nothing I can't make gluten free. I eat really well these days.  I missing nothing about my old gluten filled diet and I enjoy having my health back!

Yep, the old saying "Health is Everything" is so true!   Glad you are feeling better!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: