#1 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with celiac on October 1st of this year, and have been gluten free ever since. I've de-glutened my home, and have only eaten out 3 times since my diagnoses (I don't think I was cc'd but you never know).

Anyway, I have a terrible problem with itchy skin. It's not DH, as there is nothing wrong with the area of skin that suddenly itches. It can pop up anywhere (and does): mostly my arms, legs, wrists, chest, sides, pretty much wherever I have skin except my scalp.

It comes on completely randomly - my routine doesn't change. I work from home, so I'm here 90% of the time. It can strike if I'm home, asleep or awake, out and about, doesn't matter. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with my skin when it starts to itch - no redness, rash, bumps, scrapes, sores, lumps, discolorations, scales, flakes, lesions or infections. Nada!

Sometimes the itch may start light, like something brushed my skin. I'll unconsciously itch or rub it. Apparently, the itch gets really mad when I do that and then explodes into an extremely painful, prickly itchy sensation. It feels like millions of tiny pinches. I try as hard as I can not to scratch it, but if I don't, the painful prickles become so bad I involuntarily jerk whatever appendage is itching.

Once it was so bad and in so many places at once it woke me up and after trying slathering on thick moisturizer all over, I was forced to shower and scrub head to toe with a loofah.

I've tried anti itch creams, I use Cetaphil Moisturizer Cream, and I lotion up every time I get out of the shower. I tried icing the area. Sometimes I slap the area really hard for very temporary relief.  I only have Benedryl Allergy in my medicine cabinet, but have used that as a last resort.

This is driving me CRAZY!! I can't take it anymore. I've been gluten-free for 12 weeks now, it can't still be the gluten...can it?

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions or advice before I scratch myself down to the bone?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

A home humidifier. I don't know how old you are, but I noticed the itchiness starting when I was in my 40's. I never used to get that way when I was young. Then again, maybe it wasn't age, but celiac. I do know though that while it gets worse in winter, I still itch somewhat during the summer. And lotions don't really help. But keeping the humidity in my house (and my shop) at between 40 and 60 percent helps a lot.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Bartfull. I'm 43, but I've had this itchy weirdness for as long as I can remember. Any suggestions on the type of humidifier? I live in a rental, so I can't use a whole-house humidifier (like I would love to!) and don't know what else to look for.

Thanks!

#4 mendylou

mendylou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

The sensations you are feeling sounds like the ones I get before I get DH breakouts.  It gets terribly sensitive, burns, tingles, etc.  Within several days I have breakouts.  It has been terribly cold here in MN and heat being on all the time causes for excess dryness in the air.  My skin has been really dry and itchy lately.  Have you ever had the skin eruptions or the hive like bubbles on your skin?  I also having a hard time finding something to calm it since the sensation seems to come from the inside.  I do use bag balm, vanicream, Gold bond lotion, aloe gel but with limited satisfaction.  If I get warm, my condition worsens.  I don't know that this helps you, but I have shared some info

#5 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks  Mendylou, but I don't have any hives, bubbles or eruptions where it itches. It's just normal, pinkish skin, nothing visibly wrong with it, both before and after the itching starts. It seems to like the softer parts of skin (the inside of my forearm for example) but it's not really picky. It will show up anywhere.

This is why I'm confused and frustrated - there seems to be absolutely NOTHING wrong with my skin - so why is it so darn itchy? It's to the point where I'm afraid to scratch anything, even if it's from something obvious, like the tag on my shirt, it might trigger the Monster Itch!

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

I got mine at Ace Hardware but they look something like this: http://www.sears.com...=8&blockType=G8

I like them because you don't need to replace filters. I use distilled water because the water where I live is full of minerals which would plug up the unit and leave a white residue. If you put one in the bedroom and one in the living room or wherever you spend the most time, I'm sure it would help not only your skin, but your breathing too.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 GretaJane

GretaJane

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Get your iron levels checked! My son was itchy when he was anemic. Also cc makes him itchy. Zyrtec helps. Make sure any vitamins, supplements, or meds are gluten-free.

#8 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with celiac on October 1st of this year, and have been gluten free ever since. I've de-glutened my home, and have only eaten out 3 times since my diagnoses (I don't think I was cc'd but you never know).

Anyway, I have a terrible problem with itchy skin. It's not DH, as there is nothing wrong with the area of skin that suddenly itches. It can pop up anywhere (and does): mostly my arms, legs, wrists, chest, sides, pretty much wherever I have skin except my scalp.

It comes on completely randomly - my routine doesn't change. I work from home, so I'm here 90% of the time. It can strike if I'm home, asleep or awake, out and about, doesn't matter. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with my skin when it starts to itch - no redness, rash, bumps, scrapes, sores, lumps, discolorations, scales, flakes, lesions or infections. Nada!

Sometimes the itch may start light, like something brushed my skin. I'll unconsciously itch or rub it. Apparently, the itch gets really mad when I do that and then explodes into an extremely painful, prickly itchy sensation. It feels like millions of tiny pinches. I try as hard as I can not to scratch it, but if I don't, the painful prickles become so bad I involuntarily jerk whatever appendage is itching.

Once it was so bad and in so many places at once it woke me up and after trying slathering on thick moisturizer all over, I was forced to shower and scrub head to toe with a loofah.

I've tried anti itch creams, I use Cetaphil Moisturizer Cream, and I lotion up every time I get out of the shower. I tried icing the area. Sometimes I slap the area really hard for very temporary relief.  I only have Benedryl Allergy in my medicine cabinet, but have used that as a last resort.

This is driving me CRAZY!! I can't take it anymore. I've been gluten-free for 12 weeks now, it can't still be the gluten...can it?

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions or advice before I scratch myself down to the bone?

At last! I am NOT ALONE.  I have these exact symptoms you describe, tonalynn.  Drives me insane!!  no one understands or believes me.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in November 2011.  I have been 99% gluten free for 2 years.  1 year ago I had the itching, but it turned out that I now have a citrus allergy, so eliminating citrus made the itching go away.  But now the itching is back and it's making me crazy.  

I don't know whether to call a doctor, or which doctor to call!!!  Allergist? Gastroenterologist? GP?  will one doc refer me back to one of the others...... is it worth even trying to call a doctor in the first place!  What else am I allergic to now!  they are slowly taking all foods I love away from me,.....   I worry that I may have liver disease, but there is no problem detected with standard blood work.

It's so bad that I want to just go outside in the cold (it's about 4 degrees Fahrenheit here) because it feels like the cold would make the itching stop, but the cold hurts so much too......

Today I have not eaten anything so far.  I did take my morning supplements, which I have taken for years and all are gluten free.  I am pondering not eating anything today, but my stomach is growling, and I have no will power when it comes to sitting around and not eating.....   

Questions in my mind today:  is it sugar?  I consumed very little sugar yesterday and still itch.   Caffiene? maybe. I had coffee yesterday.  Now I am afraid to even drink tea.  I have had no citrus, that is for sure!  

I sympathize with you!  I understand completely, what you have described!  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!  and you are not crazy.

crazy, burning and itching, won't go away, no matter what, and there is not any kind of skin eruption or rash or anything to see..... not anemic, liver panel fine, no other blood work reveals anything wrong,........ this has been my life in the winter for so many years.

What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#9 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hi All-

A was wondering if anyone knows if Zyrtec OTC tabs are gluten free because they've taken them. The company hasn't tested them- only the gel tabs. My search brought up this post.  Those with unexplained itching should check out Irish Heart's post about MCAS, or read Dr. Jess' blog.  It's worth a looksee. 

http://www.thepatien...ndrome-madness/

I've been itching for what seems like weeks now.  Only antihistamines help.  I have hives, but I also itch for no good reason with no hives present no matter what I eat.  Hence the Zyrtec question...

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hmm, anti-histamines usually help with allergy symptoms.  I've heard coconut oil can help itching sometimes.  Might be worth a try.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Have you considered a yeast infection?  Do you crave sweets?   I itch when I detox yeast.  I think I was detoxing yeast when I smelled it on my skin.  It usually occurs in me after discontinuing an unsafe food which I had been eating a lot of.  I believe that the yeast can have a feast on undigested foods. 

D

#12 amandalesswheat

amandalesswheat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Hi all,

I have an allergy to wheat, which is different than celiac or gluten sensitivity. One of the symptoms is crazy itching. I don't get hives, but I feel itchy all over. Sometimes when exposed I will get tiny, almost unnoticeable bumps on my arms, I couldnt see them unless the lights hit a certain way but I guess they are hives but the itching is always there.  I had a shampoo with wheat in it and it would cause super itchy head, dandruff, and acne all down my back. You could get an allergy test done and find out what it causing it. I find the more I avoid an allergen which I get exposed the reaction is much worse than if I am kind of exposed all the time. So if you are have recently removed gluten and the itching started an allergy could be the cause. 

#13 brookevale

brookevale

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I have itching under the skin. I can't figure out the triggers. But, I do get worse if I take a probiotic, get dehydrated, drink coffee--even decaf, and chew Nicorette gum (which I've pretty much quit. It is so annoying. It's like a burning itching all over. I have neuropathy too so sometimes I wonder if it's a nerve reaction like paresthesia. 

~Brooke
After 14 years of pain in my right side and a year of vomiting, severe abdominal pain, starvation, feeding tubes, doctors telling me it's in my head, negative tests, I FINALLY was diagnosed with Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction August 2012.
Never Never Never Give Up!
Believe in yourself when you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you have a condition that has not been diagnosed--it's NOT in your head.
I came up positive for the celiac genetic marker in 2011, but negative for sprue and blood antibodies in 2011 and 2012.
One doctor says I have celiac, another says I don't. Huh?

#14 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Inside forearms sounds like eczema to me.  That said, my all over itchiness started to lessen after about 2 - 3 months gluten-free.  It recently came back, which I think may be due to a recent accidental glutening or to the very cold weather we're experiencing.  Also, before my dx, I think hormones played a part - are you perimenopausal?

If it focuses on area inside forearms near the visible vein, my guess would be gluten and it will go away soon.  However, if it's more generalized, especially in the crook of your elbow, my bet would be on eczema (another autoimmune disorder that can travel with Celiac), and I would start by NOT showering so much, and don 't use super-hot water.  And apply/re-apply often a cream like Cerave or Vanicream (I think that's the name).  If that doesn't help after a week or so, you may need a derm to check it out and prescribe a short-term steroid cream.

#15 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

Inside forearms sounds like eczema to me.  That said, my all over itchiness started to lessen after about 2 - 3 months gluten-free.  It recently came back, which I think may be due to a recent accidental glutening or to the very cold weather we're experiencing.  Also, before my dx, I think hormones played a part - are you perimenopausal?

If it focuses on area inside forearms near the visible vein, my guess would be gluten and it will go away soon.  However, if it's more generalized, especially in the crook of your elbow, my bet would be on eczema (another autoimmune disorder that can travel with Celiac), and I would start by NOT showering so much, and don 't use super-hot water.  And apply/re-apply often a cream like Cerave or Vanicream (I think that's the name).  If that doesn't help after a week or so, you may need a derm to check it out and prescribe a short-term steroid cream.

I would also get your liver and kidney function tested - in fact, it was this itching that led my dermatologist to recommend my GP run tests for liver and kidney function, and in the course of it my GP added Celiac to the testing panel, based on our conversation.  I credit this all with diagnosing my Celiac before it got really bad because I was only starting to get a variety of problems, all of which seemed, on surface, to be very disconnected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: