21 replies to this topic

#16 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

I'm going to echo Nikki2777 on this - I have been trying to find out why I have elevated liver enzymes, and in the process of researching it found that itchy skin is often associated with liver problems. Please go see a doctor and explain, and request liver enzyme "liver function" tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 foam

foam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Take the Zyrtec, it's safe and it works

#18 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks all, for the suggestions and the feedback. I had a full allergy panel done last summer, the only things that came up are gluten and almonds. I've since cut out both, (I also have the double gene for celiac).

I will ask my doctor about liver function when I see her at the end of the month, but my gut feeling is that it's not liver-related.

Just to clarify, the itchiness does not occur in the same place twice in a row, or all the time. Last week is was on one of my shins. There was nothing wrong with the skin when it started to itch, but there was by the time I got done with it! I had scratched so much the skin was bright red and I broke a lot of capillaries under the skin.

Two nights ago it was my left thigh, front and back. Actually, three areas there: right above my left knee, on the inside of my left thigh about 3/4 up, and right under where my butt ends and the back of my left thigh begins. The best way I can describe the feeling is like being poked by a needle...from the inside. Just those three spots. The itch didn't spread, but they did take turns hurting.

I spent about an hour alternating putting on Gold Bond Rapid Relief Itch Cream, itching, slapping the itch and finally took a Benedryl. While I was waiting for that to start working, I tried freezing the area with an ice pack. Picture me standing in my kitchen at 2:30 in the morning, holding a big ice pack on the front of my thigh, but it wasn't big enough for all 3 areas, so I had to hold a bag of frozen corn to the back of my thigh!

After about 20 minutes, my skin was numb enough that the itching wasn't hurting and causing my muscles to involuntarily jerk. I was finally able to sleep. That area hasn't itched since.

It's getting to the point I'm afraid to scratch anything below my neck! Sometimes I can scratch something that's tickling and it goes away. Most of the time, I've set off a chain reaction. It's not just a winter thing - it's year round.

After 4 months of being gluten/almond free, if it was either of those causing the itch, don't you think it would have stopped by now? As for the person who asked if it might be yeast related and if I was craving sweets - I'm not sure if it's yeast or not, good question. As for sugar, I'm ALWAYS craving that! ;-)

#19 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

As an update to this thread, I saw my naturopath today. I just happened to be having one of my itching episodes on my left forearm right before the appointment started, so she was able to see that the skin was undamaged or different in anyway.

She explained it's because I'm having issues with my liver. She palpated my liver and said it was a bit enlarged, probably irritated from the gallstone problems I've had over the weekend. She mentioned that itchy skin is one of the first signs that something is going on with your liver.

She recommended a cod liver oil heat pack where my liver is for 20 minutes, several times a day. I'm going to give it a try tonight. If the answer to my itchy skin is to make my liver happy - I'm all for it! :-)

#20 Fenrir

Fenrir

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I would also get your liver and kidney function tested - in fact, it was this itching that led my dermatologist to recommend my GP run tests for liver and kidney function, and in the course of it my GP added Celiac to the testing panel, based on our conversation.  I credit this all with diagnosing my Celiac before it got really bad because I was only starting to get a variety of problems, all of which seemed, on surface, to be very disconnected.

Little late here but Liver Function tests are probably a good thing to check. People who have liver issues, permanent or temp, tend to have itchy skin.

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

Celiac Antibodies within Normal range(Gluten free diet)= 10/23/2014

#21 cmon

cmon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

I just posted a question for recommendations for dermatologist/dr in Denver area due to rash head to toe and ITCHY. Forgot to mention - have eaten gluten-free for 6 months? (strict & started for thyroid). And skin biopsy was done, but came back negative (was it done incorrectly?) and currently see endo, md, etc due to Hashimotos to regulate thyroid (5 + yrs). Is this itchy red rash due to Thyroid or food reaction? Do other grain sensitivities cause dermatitis hepaformis, or only gluten? As of now, eating totally grain, egg, dairy free (started week ago,and no change so far). Thanks

#22 waynesworld

waynesworld

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thanks all, for the suggestions and the feedback. I had a full allergy panel done last summer, the only things that came up are gluten and almonds. I've since cut out both, (I also have the double gene for celiac).

I will ask my doctor about liver function when I see her at the end of the month, but my gut feeling is that it's not liver-related.

Just to clarify, the itchiness does not occur in the same place twice in a row, or all the time. Last week is was on one of my shins. There was nothing wrong with the skin when it started to itch, but there was by the time I got done with it! I had scratched so much the skin was bright red and I broke a lot of capillaries under the skin.

Two nights ago it was my left thigh, front and back. Actually, three areas there: right above my left knee, on the inside of my left thigh about 3/4 up, and right under where my butt ends and the back of my left thigh begins. The best way I can describe the feeling is like being poked by a needle...from the inside. Just those three spots. The itch didn't spread, but they did take turns hurting.

I spent about an hour alternating putting on Gold Bond Rapid Relief Itch Cream, itching, slapping the itch and finally took a Benedryl. While I was waiting for that to start working, I tried freezing the area with an ice pack. Picture me standing in my kitchen at 2:30 in the morning, holding a big ice pack on the front of my thigh, but it wasn't big enough for all 3 areas, so I had to hold a bag of frozen corn to the back of my thigh!

After about 20 minutes, my skin was numb enough that the itching wasn't hurting and causing my muscles to involuntarily jerk. I was finally able to sleep. That area hasn't itched since.

It's getting to the point I'm afraid to scratch anything below my neck! Sometimes I can scratch something that's tickling and it goes away. Most of the time, I've set off a chain reaction. It's not just a winter thing - it's year round.

After 4 months of being gluten/almond free, if it was either of those causing the itch, don't you think it would have stopped by now? As for the person who asked if it might be yeast related and if I was craving sweets - I'm not sure if it's yeast or not, good question. As for sugar, I'm ALWAYS craving that! ;-)

Hi Tonalyn, Im new here.

I am 38 and was confrimed celiac disease at 34. Interesting to read your post. Over the last few years I have slowly been peicing together certain symtoms. For me personally- If I get trace amounts of gluten I get itchy beyond belief-like make myself bleed itchy. This lasts around three months!! Then as long as I'm careful it will go away completly-not a scratch. If I get a good dose of gluten...we all know the story there. But this is how I know Ive had a small amount and its usaully from an additives etc. Oh and I have had the most terrible nightmares as long as I can remember-They completly dissapear when I'm gluten-free...

Kind regards

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: