This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One Advantage Of Celiac, No Need To Shave Legs

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Does anyone else not have hair (anymore) on their arms and legs.  The functional medicine nurse said that my body didn't have the energy to get it done after so many years.  I don't mind not having to shave, or have the ugly hairs.  Still I wonder if my numbness could have something to do with this.

My father doesn't have any hair on his legs either.  He has some genetics for celiac, but isn't diagnosed.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I haven't had this happen, but your mention of numbness makes me think that maybe it's a circulation problem?

That could surely be a factor for me.  I had anemia and immature red blood cells.  The nurse told me that these are larger than mature red blood cells.  They don't fit through the tiniest blood vessels according to my nurse.  They break and don't carry oxygen well.

I have an issue with one of my eyes - it's a long back-story that I won't bore you with - but I take Ginko Biloba to improve circulation.  It helps get circulation to the smallest blood vessels - which is beneficial to the tiny capillaries in the eye and helps to improve retinal health.  I've also noticed that my feet and hands don't get as cold as easily as they used to.  You'd want to be careful with it though because it is a natural blood thinner - so you have to stop taking it at least a week before any surgery because it can increase your risk of bleeding the way any synthetic blood-thinner can.

I have an issue with one of my eyes - it's a long back-story that I won't bore you with - but I take Ginko Biloba to improve circulation.  It helps get circulation to the smallest blood vessels - which is beneficial to the tiny capillaries in the eye and helps to improve retinal health.  I've also noticed that my feet and hands don't get as cold as easily as they used to.  You'd want to be careful with it though because it is a natural blood thinner - so you have to stop taking it at least a week before any surgery because it can increase your risk of bleeding the way any synthetic blood-thinner can.

Edit/after thought:  You also want to make sure you're getting enough water.  Being dehydrated can make your blood thicker.

bartfull Rising Star

I used to have legs like a gorilla. Now I no longer have to shave them AT ALL.

Adalaide Mentor

I would love to not have to shave my legs anymore! Of course, not living where it's warm and it being winter I don't have to right now anyway and the only person who will know is my husband. We all know the consequence of him complaining so I hear nothing about it. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

This is usually a sign of a hormonal deficiency in younger people and is a part of the natural aging process in older people....over 75-80 years old.  Hormones can be very low in that age group but if you are younger, it's a sign there's a deficiency. It has very little to do with circulation.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If I take my one zillion vitamins I have lots of leg hair. If I don't, less leg hair.

Then again, I've never been short on leg hair....

bartfull Rising Star

I'm 59. Now that I've FINALLY found some vitamins I can take, maybe it'll grow back, but if it doesn't I won't mind.

This is usually a sign of a hormonal deficiency in younger people and is a part of the natural aging process in older people....over 75-80 years old.  Hormones can be very low in that age group but if you are younger, it's a sign there's a deficiency. It has very little to do with circulation.

I agree that hormone deficiencies can cause hair loss, but I also know that it can be a result of poor circulation.  Especially when numbness is another symptom.

Open Original Shared Link

• Numbness. When you stand or sit for a long time, blood circulation is interrupted. You will experience a tingling sensation and numbness in different parts of the body. When numbness occurs, it is essential that you seek medical assistance because it could lead to heart disease.
  • Dry Skin. Bad circulation also causes dry skin, hair loss and brittle nails. This is because these parts no longer receive essential nutrients in the rightful amounts for them to function normally

Hormone deficiency, yes, that is true of me.  I now know that I am low in progesterone.  My body steals it to use as cortisol the nurse told me.  I am not anywhere near 75-80.  My blood tested to have mature red blood cells now.  Getting enough nourishment thanks to my diet and supplements is a good thing!  I am thirsty, so I will have some coconut water!  This quenches my thirst better than water.

"NoGlutenCooties, The top one very much seemed to have other symptoms that apply to me.  The bottom link didn't seem to work.

D

"NoGlutenCooties, The top one very much seemed to have other symptoms that apply to me.  The bottom link didn't seem to work.

D

Hmmm... I just tried it and it worked for me.  I'll try again:  Open Original Shared Link

I know as soon as I hit "Post" it's going to get truncated.  It's on the "med-health.net" website.

Thanks, I got it to work now.  Maybe my computer or its operator is slow.

Gemini Experienced

I agree that hormone deficiencies can cause hair loss, but I also know that it can be a result of poor circulation.  Especially when numbness is another symptom.

• Numbness. When you stand or sit for a long time, blood circulation is interrupted. You will experience a tingling sensation and numbness in different parts of the body. When numbness occurs, it is essential that you seek medical assistance because it could lead to heart disease.
  • Dry Skin. Bad circulation also causes dry skin, hair loss and brittle nails. This is because these parts no longer receive essential nutrients in the rightful amounts for them to function normally

Your circulation would have to be next to non-existent to cause hair loss.  There are lots of people walking around less than optimal circulation and they are fine. Hair loss on the arms of any younger woman is not normal but it happens as we age.  Lots of older folks in their late 70's and on tell me that they no longer have hair growth on their legs AND they often sweat less or not at all.  That's why they suffer from heat exhaustion so quickly when there is a heat wave.....they can't cool their bodies as efficiently as younger people.

Archived