This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pain With Meat

julie5914

julie5914 Contributor

I have just started the specific carb diet, and so I had a bunless hamburger for dinner with some carrots and tomatoes. I am in pain about the same as gluten. It feel like there is a rock in my pipes. I have related this pain to meat a while back, but I was thinking being gluten free would make me able to digest it again. Apparently there is still something wrong.

I don't think I can do the SCD without meat, and I definitely cannot do meat again. This hurts. It started hurting about 20 minutes after I ate it, and I was filled up fast by it, despite the fact I have only eaten fruit and veggies today. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with meat? I get with all types: beef, chicken, pork and sometimes seafood.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickofit Newbie
I have just started the specific carb diet, and so I had a bunless hamburger for dinner with some carrots and tomatoes. I am in pain about the same as gluten. It feel like there is a rock in my pipes. I have related this pain to meat a while back, but I was thinking being gluten free would make me able to digest it again. Apparently there is still something wrong.

I don't think I can do the SCD without meat, and I definitely cannot do meat again. This hurts. It started hurting about 20 minutes after I ate it, and I was filled up fast by it, despite the fact I have only eaten fruit and veggies today. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with meat? I get with all types: beef, chicken, pork and sometimes seafood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sickofit Newbie

Bless you for asking this question! Funny how we think we are the only one. I can no longer digest meat either. Bloated, can't poo-poo, fatigue, headache, etc. Also cannot digest carbs, sweat, cry, depression and all of the above. Have been doing gluten-free but probably not as careful as I read that I should be. Am starting to think that tummy and intestines are ruined and I will starve and die. Have to now do 4-day rotation diet too, food sensitivity to anything I eat often, garlic, a veggie, whatever. Have you had a blood test for food sensitivities? You might try fasting until tummy heals a little. The best I felt was when I did not eat for 5 days and then was able to digest some meat, but now all of it is back again. I also cannot do ruff raw veggies, am trying to stick to soft cooked things and soup and have to take fiber. Can't do juice, too many carbs without fiber. Fruit should be eaten alone with digestive problems and protein and carbs need to be separated too and you may need digestive enzymes. If you read the books 1 & 2 of Fit for Life it explains about how protein can rot in the stomach while the carbs are being digested. They don't believe anyone needs meat and I don't want to be a total vegetarian, but my tummy got so bad it was like it was full of alka-seltzer. I've had to read alot on the digestive system and thought I had candida for years. The book Deadly Grains saved my life, but I'm still so sick when I eat anything it doesn't feel like much of a life. For 20 years saw doc after doc to no avail, got too sick to work, now no health insurance and not enuf money to see a doc so have to read, read, read. Did borrow to see a naturopath and she gave me the blood test for the food sensitivities, but she was not aggressive enuf in treatment and I ran out of money. I've never seen a gastro. as docs always diagnosed me as chronic migraine and gp would send me to neurologists instead. Especially since when I ate sugar I would go into crying spells for days. When you are in your fifties and doing that they are sure you are nuts. Anyway, I will shutup now, had to vent, no one to talk too and I hide my symptoms out of guilt. I quess I feel guiltly as I am the one that is putting it into my mouth, sometimes I'm not careful and sometimes I just crave something sweet and then pay for it for days, and sometimes I have to test and try some meat or fish. I've gotten too skinny to fast for long anymore, and I get hungry (go figure). Actually the books that stopped my daily migraines were Dr. Crook's The Yeast Connection and all of his others. When I stopped eating sugar and carbs the migraines stopped but not the tummy problems so kept searching. An allergist gave me a skin test that showed a wheat allergy and that is how I started looking into gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. I have been sick all my life and believe not being able to digest gluten is what started all the rest of it. I believe my mom had celiac disease and she had lupus and died of breast cancer which is what Dangerous Grains says usually happens to undiagnosed celiacs, and I believe that to be true, even with some of this new conflicting studies. Anyway, again, try not eating meat and protein for a few days, see if things settle down then try small portions. Lots of people lose their ability to digest meat as they get older, not enuf stomach acid. My naturopath suggested 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar to drink first to prime the pumps, so to speak. Had to add some water and stevia but it did help. Oh, and I was given a test for candida and did not have it, also a test for celiac but had been doing gluten-free for over a year so it was negative. Does anyone think oatmeal products on the face are harmful? The person that asked about MSG (I'm also allergic to that) needs to look that up-anything that says natural flavers can have it, hydrolized veg. protein, canned tuna, the list is huge and it is very hidden in anything canned, packaged, etc. From, sickofit-I'm new-first time to read and to post. Glad you all are here.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well--I cant eat burger anymore--I stick to chicken breast and very white pork--sometimes tuna and salmon. I cant do gassy veggies--no broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc--no tomatoes in any shape--not processed or fresh. I stay away from greasy foods too. Beef is well known for causing stomach troubles--it just sits and rots in our tummies. Now stevia makes me ill, it bothers my tummy. I dont do much with sugar--dont even buy sugar itself. I use equal, nutrasweet, or splenda and yes--I have heard all the reports about it--I have used it for over 30 yrs. I have to be very careful with anything soy or corn--no processed corn, only fresh or frozen corn as a veggie. I wont try oatmeal, but I never could eat things made with oatmeal. I did eat it as a breakfast cereal, but never could handle it in meatloaf, cookies, etc. Oatmeal is not safe in the US. I have been gluten-free for over 4 yrs now--I do know what I am doing--I rarely get glutened, dont even remember the last time--I do have probs now and again with the soy/corn issue. Deb

LUAP Newbie

- i have avoid tomatoes 1 year in my diet.

i had symptoms when i was eating meat. a little searh shown me that tomatoes and other food high in msg (msg) combined with meat (arginine in meat) plus a bad intestinal flora was a good recipe for the gas NOx. in little quantities, NOx create bowel movement wich is good. In larger dose, it soars tissues in your gi tract wich is verrry bad. Folks taken by cronh disease often have problem with NOx.

Archived