This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Pie Crust Is Laughing At Me

greenbeanie

greenbeanie Enthusiast

This is our first gluten-free holiday season. We had Thanksgiving at our house, where we have an entirely gluten free kitchen, and everything but the pie crust was a success. I've tried various recipes, and they taste fine and even roll out fine, but when I try to transfer the crust to the pie plate it just falls to pieces every time. Last time I resorted to mashing the pieces together in the pie plate with my fingers, and that kind of works okay for the bottom, but it won't do for to top of an apple pie. Any suggestions? Will adding extra guar gum help? A higher proportion of tapioca flour? I've tried rolling the dough out on wax paper, chilling it longer before rolling, etc., and it still crumbles into a big mess when I pick it up.

My extended family has been very accommodating, and they're making the entire Christmas dinner gluten free (at someone else's house) so that my daughter and I can eat everything. I offered to bring several desserts, since that seems to be where the highest risk of cc is. It's easy enough to just make pumpkin custard and other baked goods without a crust, but apple pie is a favorite and I'd really like to make one that everyone can enjoy! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have resorted to pressing it in the pie plate. No one was the wiser. Topping? I make them as crumbles. I wish I had a good response.

Looking forward to a better solution....

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I have not been brave enough to try to make a crust from scratch yet so I'd love to read suggestions for doing so.

I used BRM pie crust for an apple pie at Thanksgiving. It was easy to work with and tasted pretty good. 

Adalaide Mentor

I'm not sure why it is doing that and have never had that problem, so sadly I can't offer a solution to fixing the crust. The only thing that sort of pops in my head is maybe it's the type of flour you're using? Some just won't do well for a pie crust.

I do have a solution though. Grab any old recipe book, I use my old Betty Crocker tome most of the time and use the recipe for apple crumb pie and just make the crumbs. (with gluten-free flour of course) I have actually never topped an apple pie with a crust in all my life, which is saying something because I've been helping make them since I was preschool aged. Whenever it was my choice, it got crumb topping.

IrishHeart Veteran

Fiddling with gums or starches will only change the recipe and alter the ratios, so that's not necessarily the answer, hon. Sorry.

I make killer apple pie, I admit it.  :D

The ONLY pie dough recipe that did not tear on me and makes a consistently flaky dough was this one

from the "No Gluten, No Problem!" people, the Bronskis:

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups of the  Artisan gluten-free Flour Mix  (below)

1 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold salted butter (I am OLD SCHOOL> I use LARD)

1 egg

1/3 cup cold water

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1. Mix together the flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry blender, two knives, or your hands until it resembles fine crumbs.

2. Mix together the egg, water, and vinegar. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredi­ents inside. Mix together by hand until a dough forms.

3. Divide the dough into two pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Note: If you are not using the dough right away, freeze it to use at a later time. It will keep frozen for 1 month.

4. Roll each piece of dough out between two pieces of plastic wrap, aiming for a circular piecrust that will fit your pie plate. Use one dough half to line a 9-inch pie plate (the other can be used for a top crust or a second pie).

5. To bake the crust without any filling, preheat the oven to 350°F.

6. Dock the dough with a fork and crimp the edges.

7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until light golden brown.

8. Or, use and bake the dough as per the particular pie recipe's instructions.

Single Batch Artisinal Mix(about 3 cups)

1 1/4 cups (156g) brown rice flour
3/4 cup (88g) sorghum flour
2/3 cup (90g) cornstarch
1/4 cup (37g) potato starch
1 tbsp + 1 tsp (14g) potato flour
1 tsp (3g) xanthan gum

HOPE THIS HELPS!!  xx IH

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You need silpat or wax paper. After rolling out, put wax paper on top and do some origami moves to fold it over then unfold it on top of the pie. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Drink tequila.

IrishHeart Veteran

Drink tequila.

:lol: That's a given while baking, isn't it?  Drinking?

I'm doing it right now.

My chocolate gingerbread looks good...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

You need silpat or wax paper. After rolling out, put wax paper on top and do some origami moves to fold it over then unfold it on top of the pie. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Drink tequila.

Ha! I think the tequila solution is the best (though I would be pouring vodka.....)

IrishHeart Veteran

Ha! I think the tequila solution is the best (though I would be pouring vodka.....)

come on over...help me bake...I've got vodka

IrishHeart Veteran

I know this is going off topic, but we can always use a giggle...while baking and having company for the holidays...

Christmas Cake

Ingredients: 
1 cup of water 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 cup of sugar 
1 tsp salt 
1 cup of brown sugar 
lemon juice 
4 large eggs 
lots of nuts 
1 bottle Vodka 
2 cups of dried fruit 

Sample the vodka to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the vodka again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. 

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the vodka is shtill OK. 

Try another cup .... just in case. Turn off the mixerer. 

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. 

Pick fruit up off floor. 

Mix on the turner. 

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a sdrewscriver. 

Sample the vodka to check for tonsisticity. 

Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares. 

Check the vodka. 

Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. 

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. 

Grease the oven and wee in the fridge. 

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. 

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the vodka 

Fall into bed. 

CHERRY MISTMAS

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Ha! Thanks, everyone. Irish Heart, I will try that crust recipe next time - with vodka!

IrishHeart Veteran

Ha! Thanks, everyone. Irish Heart, I will try that crust recipe next time - with vodka!

I think you'll like it G-beanie. Have a wonderful holiday! 

mamaw Community Regular

It  appears  you already got  some  great  answers...tips  and  booze,  what  else  is  it  that  you  need!!!!

I use  the  recipe  from Betty Hageman   &  it  works great... here  are  my few  tidbits that  may help.

make  sure   all ingredients  are cold.

After  you roll the  dough  , roll the  dough  up  around  the rolling  pin  & ease  it  onto  your pie  dish.

or  use  two  pieces  of  parchment, silpat  then  when its time to put  in pie plate  , pull off  top  sheet  place pie   dish  on  top &  invert  it  onto the  pie  dish.... if  you get  a  tiny  tear  just  press it  together....

For  two crusted  pies, roll out  dough  for  bottom. the top  crust  roll it out  then use  cute  shaped  cutters ie:  apple  cookie  cutter  for apple pie,  leaves  or  whatever  cutter  you like. place  them  cut-outs  overlapping  a  bit  around  pie... Circles  are  nice  & very easy.. brush tops  with  beaten egg....

hth   along  with the booze!!!

merry christmas

mamaw

cyclinglady Grand Master

Merry Christmas!

Hubby and I just finished playing Santa. Our family gathering was great. Now for some much needed rest! Morning comes fast on Christmas Day!

Adalaide Mentor

Merry Christmas everyone! ChristmasTreeEmoticon.webp

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Merry Christmas! And thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

mbrookes Community Regular

This may be cheating, but Pillsbury makes a gluten free pie crust that comes in a tub in the dairy section of Kroger. I don't know who else carries it. You just work it in your hands until it softens; then roll out between sheets of waxed paper. Follow their directions about transferring to the pie tin. My mince meat pie was beautiful!

mendylou Rookie

I tried this recipe in early Nov & I thought it turned out great.  It was my 1st time w/gluten free crust. I mad a pumpkin pie.  I changed a few thing & am listing exactly what I did.

1C all purpose flour (I used Bob's red mill)

1Tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp xanthum gum

1/4 tsp salt

6 Tbsp lard, cut into cubes

1 large egg

2 tsp lemon juice

Combine the flour,sugar, x gum,salt until crumbly like a coarse meal.  Add egg, lemon j until it holds together.

Shape dough into a ball and place btwn 2 pieces of wax paper. Flatten & roll to 1/4 in, remove one side of wax paper & invert into 9" pie pan, remove other sheet of wax paper, cut off excess, crimp edges, put in filling.  It worked great for a pumpkin pie.  as I said I made some changes in the original recipe 

Archived