6 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

So, my MIL and I have been having some issues lately.  Mainly it's because I don't live my life exactly the way she thinks I should and don't agree with everything she says :D But we did have a nice Christmas holiday together.  I did have to share this funny story though.

We went to Christmas Eve service at her church.  She lives in a small town and everyone at church knows everyone else.  They were serving communion at the service.  At my home church, I am in charge of serving the gluten free communion to the 4 of us who are gluten intolerant.  But I knew they wouldn't have gluten free communion at her church, so I just sat in my seat during the communion.  When she came back from getting her bread and juice, she said to me, "You should have gone up there.  If you didn't want communion you could have let the pastor know and he would have just blessed you.  Now everyone probably thinks you are an atheist since you didn't go up there."  I responded, "Well, God knows I'm not an atheist."

So which is worse, being a Celiac who can't take communion or having everyone at church think I am an Atheist?  I thought it was pretty funny.  I could care less what everyone else thought about my not going up to communion.  This is one of the reasons we clash.  She lives in a small town and is very much about keeping up appearances with everyone.  I could care less what everyone thinks of me.

It was also funny that Christmas dinner was pretty much a Celiac's nightmare.  She saved out some ham and cheese grits for me.  Everything else was filled with gluten - ham and biscuits, sausage balls, pigs in a blanket, sweet roll, cookies, rum cake.  There was not a vegetable to be found and everything had gluten in it. 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

It's a MIL's job to create issues.  :lol: Mine was extra-special  good at it. God rest her soul.

I hope you brought yourself some extra food. 

As for what "people may think about you not receiving communion" well, this makes me laugh out loud.

This is the main thing about pretentious pious people that both amuses and annoys me...they can be judgmental and the 

"judge not,  lest ye be judged! " rule and "kindness to our fellow brethren" always seems to escape them.

I gave my Mom a pyx so she carries her own G F wafer to church--and it can travel with her, too.

Her RCC does not provide them for the faithful few who are G F. A 500 -count box costs very little, but nope. Not going to do it for them. Yet, my mother gives liberally to the basket every week. 

I have a problem with hypocrisy, as you can probably tell.  :lol:

You could always get a pyx and bring your own wafer and stun the crowd with your "special-ness" next year.  ;) If I were in your shoes, I'd do it just for the sheer pleasure it would bring me to see my MIL's face as it would probably be struck with awe. ..... (but that's just IMHO)  LOL.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

If you were an Atheist why would you be at Mass?  LOL

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

true, but some people go so their relatives will stop harping on it. LOL

(not in CQ's case, of course)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, that's I wanted to tell her.  If I was an atheist I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, next year I'll definitely bring my own.  It didn't occur to me that there would be communion.  We're Methodists, so we don't always do communion on Christmas Eve.  But I buy the gluten-free communion for our church and can grab one next year for sure.  I can't wait to see the look on her face.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, that's I wanted to tell her.  If I was an atheist I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, next year I'll definitely bring my own.  It didn't occur to me that there would be communion.  We're Methodists, so we don't always do communion on Christmas Eve.  But I buy the gluten-free communion for our church and can grab one next year for sure.  I can't wait to see the look on her face.

That's the spirit!  :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

I am an atheist and I have gone to church.  Even Mass.  I used to go with my MIL.  I did not take communion but at her church I could not!  Some churches do not let you take it if you are not a member.

I did take my daughter to church once at her request.  This particular church passed little glasses of grape juice and bits of bread.  Gluten is not an issue for me but dairy and eggs are and bread is notorious for having dairy in it.  Some has eggs.  So no way was I going to eat it.  I also did not want to drink the juice because I am diabetic.  I had hoped to be able to take just a small sip of the juice but unlike the church where I went as a kid, they did not send the tray back around for the empties.  We had to put it in a holder in front of us.  So I did drink it and put it there.  I just kept the bread squeezed between my fingers until we were done.  Then raced to the bathroom to dispose of it and washed my hands.

Daughter was mortified at what I did but...  I wasn't expecting communion.  This wasn't a church I was familiar with.  My old chuch only did it once a month.  Apparently this one did it weekly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: