34 replies to this topic

#31 besttoro

besttoro

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Additional info on pickled ginger: As I mentioned before, most pickled ginger (gari) used at Japanese/sushi restaurants in the U.S. is bought wholesale, pre-packaged in a bag. There are a few better/larger restaurants in bigger cities which make their own, but they are few and far in between.

These wholesale, pre-packaged foods contain "flavoring" or "amino acids", which restaurant employees wouldn't know to look at as wheat. It wouldn't list a source.

Upon some sleuthing in Japanese language, I came upon quite a few food manufacturers in Japan and China which manufacture glutamic acid/glutamate (one of the most common "flavoring" or "amino acids" used in Asian packaged foods; also one of the two components of MSG) from wheat.

You can view the discussion about umami, glutamate and MSG on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Kikunae_Ikeda
http://en.wikipedia....odium_glutamate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate

I understand glutamic acid is mostly OK if manufactured in the U.S., but if you are trying to be vigilant about being gluten-free, I recommend avoiding pickled ginger as well, since restaurant employees have no way of knowing.

If you want to know how to make your own pickled ginger, PM me and I can tell you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 ecoflora

ecoflora

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

OK, it sounds like the real wasabi is the best. My question is about S&B brand. It's obviously fake, but what about the xanthan gum in it? Xantan gum has several sources including wheat. I've tried looking on S&B's web site to find out the source of their xanthan gum is. I'm going to avoid using it until I get definitive answers. Any suggestions. Even prepared horseradish has xanthan gum. Anyone know about this ingredient? Thanks.

#33 beckimcleod

beckimcleod

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

OK, it sounds like the real wasabi is the best. My question is about S&B brand. It's obviously fake, but what about the xanthan gum in it? Xantan gum has several sources including wheat. I've tried looking on S&B's web site to find out the source of their xanthan gum is. I'm going to avoid using it until I get definitive answers. Any suggestions. Even prepared horseradish has xanthan gum. Anyone know about this ingredient? Thanks.

Xanthan gum is also used as a substitute for wheat gluten in gluten-free breads, pastas and other flour-based food products. Those who suffer from gluten allergies should look for xanthan gum as an ingredient on the label.

#34 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

Those who suffer from gluten allergies should look for xanthan gum as an ingredient on the label.

I realize this is posted under the sushi thread, but unless someone has a specific intolerance to xanthan gum, it is generally considered safe for the rest of us. Not sure what the connection is that you're trying to make.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#35 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

Is it hard to make rolls and such at home? I'm very much... afraid to eat out at this time, so i was thinking why not make my own.. And about the miso soup, is it hard to make homemade? I do so love it, but once again, i'm afraid to go out and eat it :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: