5 replies to this topic

#1 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

My youngest daughter suffers from the most severe celiac disease of all of us (me and my other 2 daughters). After more than a year of seeing many different doctors (investigating things like refractive celiac, interstitial cystitis, and other things) this child finally found exactly 5 foods that she could safely eat and ate them for more than a year: white rice, apples, plain chicken (no spices whatsoever), cauliflower, and eggs. She lost about 40 lbs. but was finally able to start bringing one food at a time back into her diet. She can now eat a lot more but has many sensitivities still... things like certain nightshades, some oxalate foods, dairy, etc).

She went to an old favorite haunt in Portland, OR, on Christmas day/evening because they were having a karaoke contest and she'd won one there a few years ago. She had to sing 3 songs and the audience were the final judges.

She told me she had two (very mild) drinks and a soda and a water. She sang her first song and while she was waiting her turn to sing her second one, she made it to the bathroom to throw up all the liquid in her stomach. She sang her second song and while waiting for the third had to run to the bathroom and barf again. She sang the third song... won $100 and left to go home praying the whole way that she wouldn't throw up in the car. She made it home, threw up in the parking lot, and spent the better part of the night w/ a waste basket next to her bed. The ONLY thing she can think might have caused her sickness was the possibility of cross contamination with bar drink dispensers or maybe the bartenders having beer on their hands while they dispensed her drinks! Yikes!!

When she told me this whole story... she was laughing about her Christmas miracle... that she won $100 and didn't throw up in public!!

Ya gotta laugh!!

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yep, you do have to laugh.  Congratulations, she deserved more than winning the contest!

D

#3 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm sure she has put a lot of practice and dedication to her singing... but it is nice to see talent overcome obstacles!  Congratulate her for all of us here on the forum. :D

She had that competition in the bag.  (barf bag)  just trying to be punny

Michigan

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

I used to tend bar. The mugs and glasses where I worked were cleaned in a three-part sink. The first one was filled with water and a cleaning solution, and it had motorized brushes that we were supposed to run both inside and on the outside of the glasses. (I'm not explaining this well. Sorry.) The second sink was clear water for rinsing. The third sink had a "sanitizing solution" in it.

The thing is, when it was busy, the mugs and glasses didn't really get the full treatment. One quick stab of the rotating brush on the inside, then a quick rinse. And after a short time, that first sink was full of water, soap, AND beer.

I'm not saying that's what caused the CC, but it might be. Maybe she can bring her own glass next time?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

You may have hit the nail on the head, bartful! I know exactly what you're talking about w/ the bar sinks.

The poor kid is such an expert thrower-upper... which sounds like a good thing but is SOOO not!

luvs2eat

#6 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

I meant to add... she's an awesome singer. She used to frequent this karaoke place a lot and has sent me several mp3's of her singing and was able to put 2 of her singing on video onto youtube for her proud mama. She recently answered an ad in the paper and is the singer in a cover band. She's not quitting her day job (as a fitness and physical/occupational therapy gym trainer for special needs kids) but she's having the time of her life!

luvs2eat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: