19 replies to this topic

#16 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:02 AM

I thought I was doomed to a life of low energy levels and fuzzy brain because of celiac disease.  Nope, it was me doing it to me!!!  Since I've cleaned up my diet, I've finished off a wood refinishing project that had been in the garage for 5 years, rearranged the garage, finished off a quilt top, run circles around my husband and have lost 3.5 pounds (49.5 more to go).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is the most wonderful feeling when the same people who used to complain that I couldn't keep up with them now complain that they can't keep up with me.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bknutson

bknutson

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

Hey stef, where have you been?  I'd love to see you at any of your competitions.  I had a red belt in Tae Kwon Do for years, never could break my boards for my black belt.  I kinda miss it - it was great excersize and discipline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI you all, I want to ask a question. I have heard you all talk about depression and triedness. will you give me some details. you got some gluten and how long befor you got extremly tired or depressed.? Have you had major depression through the years that you have tied to this or tiredness. I am new so I an just learning. I was on anti depressants for years. prozac and all kinds. On anbien for sleep but still couldnt sleep. Got fat weight 190 lbs. now I am down to 138lbs but I was so sick and lost it so fast. I am just wondering where all this fits in. Thankyou for all of you helping me.

#18 Claire

Claire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

For what it's worth - my two cents.

Some of you have read my posts. Others have not so I will say up front that I am absolutely adamant on the gluten free issue.

Those who think they can have 'a little bit' are like the intrepid folks who gathered out at Three Mile Island (- Nuclear facility PA) a few years back when there was a leak there. They couldn't get nuked! After all - you couldn't see anything! Likewise if a small amount of gluten doesn't cause some overt symptom you must be okay. Right?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I know from my own personal experience that this is not true. I thought my problem was grains and yeast so I gave up everything that had flour in it - gave it up to the point that my distressing symptoms disappeared. After that I ate small amounts of flour containing products - but not a lot and not often.

Now after 15 years I have a neurological disorder that affects walking, balance, and causes essential tremors of both arms and hands. Gluten attacks and destroys brain cells!

I know now of course that gluten was the issue - not the grains. I am Gluten-free Casein-free now. The damage is done though and I would strongly urge anyone with celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity to get as far from this stuff as you can. It is, to you, a poison. Treat it with the respect any poison is due.

Remember in books and films when the goal is a calculated murder - they most always use poison - like arsenic - that can be given in small doses - but it ultimately kills.

Gluten attacks body cells - relentlessly. How many cells can you spare? Claire

#19 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:19 AM

HI  you all, I want to ask a question. I have heard you all talk about depression and triedness. will you give me some details. you got some gluten and how long befor you got extremly tired or depressed.? Have you had major depression through the years that you have tied to this or tiredness. I am new so I an just learning. I was on anti depressants for years. prozac and all kinds. On anbien for sleep but still couldnt sleep.  Got fat weight 190 lbs. now I am down to 138lbs but I was so sick and lost it so fast. I am just wondering where all this fits in. Thankyou for all of you helping me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You all? You all from the South? Just joking :lol: . When I get glutened, it depends on the amount and time since my last glutening. Usually within 12 to 24 hours I'd get that horrible fatigue where I felt like I was wading through molasses. And the depression would last at least 36 hours. But I've been on Zoloft for 5 years, which was 4 years after I developed celiac disease. Just this week, after finally eliminating gluten from my diet (all those pesky hidden sources :angry: ) I thought I'd try cutting back on the meds just to see how much of the depression was from being glutened and how much was intractable depression, otherwise known as dysthymia. And I got my answer - can't go off meds. But now I know. But when I get glutened, the depression is stronger than what Zoloft can handle so I just have to tough that out until it lifts and I can get back to my "normal" state, If that makes any sense :blink: The longer you go gluten-free, the more healing takes place and you will feel your energy come back and you mood lift somewhat (don't know if your depression is from celiac disease or other causes). But the thing is to be 100% gluten-free. Hope this helps
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#20 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:06 AM

You all?  You all from the South?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naw, in the South we say "y'all." ;)

I've certainly experienced the fatigue when eating a reactive food. I feel SO tired. Normal activity seems impossible. If I get still, I'll nod off. All I want to do is take a nap. It just about takes away my will to live... and I feel guilty because I'm not getting anything accomplished.

When I'm having digestive symptoms, I get really depressed, weak and listless. There's this feeling of not being able to cope with even the smallest problems. I get upset easily and feel almost panicky. I think, "I can't deal with this right now." All I want to do is crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: