This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Attempting Gluten-Free

mommy2mande

mommy2mande Newbie

I am new to the forum and to a gluten-free lifestyle.  I have struggled over the past several years with acid reflux and digestive issues, however they seem to have gotten worse over the last year or so.  To the point where I get nauseau, bloating and an upset stomach EVERY time after I eat, along with bad reflux.  I tried during the summer to go gluten-free, had made if 4 days when I ate some Rice Krispy cereal and found that it had malt in it.  That's when I discovered that gluten was hidden in many things.  Needless to say I was extremely frustrated with myself and gave up.   :(  I have not been tested for Celiac or a gluten intolerance (if that's even possible).  I decided to try going gluten free again yesterday, and now have a question.  How long after taking gluten out can you notice a slight improvement.  The reason I'm asking is because Sunday we had pizza :(  I was so sick and knew almost immediately that I would regret that decision.  Then Sunday night I chose to eat Coach's Oats Oatmeal, it is not labeled gluten free but I was hoping and assuming since I'm still new to this adventure.  Anyway, yesterday morning had bad diarrhea and an upset stomach, however, I made sure that everything I ate yesterday was gluten free.  Something I noticed this morning is that last night I had no bloating, and no stomach ache, and as far as I knew no acid reflux.  I did have a little acid reflux yesterday around noon.  Is it possible that the gluten was causing the bloating, stomach ache and reflux symptoms and I could notice a difference that quickly?  I wouldn't think so, but just making sure it's not in my head. 

Also, I do have other symptoms of celiac according to what I've read, including, migraines, fatigue, bloating, bouts of diarrhea and or constipation, joint pain, as well as anemia in the past.

Thanks,

Kandi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Why not get tested before you go gluten free? If you have an actual diagnosis, you might find that helpful.

mommy2mande Newbie

Thanks for the response, I did think about that after I reading through some of the posts.  I have an email into my doc about getting the testing done.  Her concern in the summer was the cost of the testing and that some insurance doesn't cover it.  So if she orders the tests and I go later this week, will having gone one day without make any difference in the test?  Should I just go ahead and eat gluten for now until after the test?

After reading more of the posts on this forum I am so glad I found it!  Looking forward to getting a real answer and heading down a path to feeling much better!

Thanks,

Kandi

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for the response, I did think about that after I reading through some of the posts.  I have an email into my doc about getting the testing done.  Her concern in the summer was the cost of the testing and that some insurance doesn't cover it.  So if she orders the tests and I go later this week, will having gone one day without make any difference in the test?  Should I just go ahead and eat gluten for now until after the test?

After reading more of the posts on this forum I am so glad I found it!  Looking forward to getting a real answer and heading down a path to feeling much better!

Thanks,

Kandi

One day gluten free shouldn't make a difference.  If you have symptoms, I'm not sure why insurance wouldn't cover the tests.  As long as they are from legitimate labs and a "real" doctor.  I know insurance won't cover medically dubious tests tests from fringe places like Enterolabs or Cyrex.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Thanks,

Kandi

One day gluten-free won't matter at all for the bloodtest.  However, if the bloodtest comes back positive they will most likely want to confirm with an endoscopy.  Depending on how long it takes to get an appointment with a gastrointestinal doctor and then get the appointment for the endoscopy that length of time can impact the endoscopy and result in a false-negative biopsy.

Also just wanted to mention in regards to the oats... there is a lot of cross-contamination issues with oats and some Celiacs react to even certified gluten-free oats.

mommy2mande Newbie

Thanks for the responses!  I will continue gluten :( until after the testing.  I am really glad I found this group.  I have had friends from work cut gluten out just due to how it made them feel and they've tried to convince me to do the same, but I just feel like having a diagnosis that gluten is bad for me then maybe I'll have a stronger will power to do it.  Was it a tough transition for any of you?  I am thankful that I have them to ask questions to but really they are only available at work.  Being a part of this group I think will help, so much information.  Thank you to those who have started and maintained this site.  

I hate to sound negative since I don't have a diagnosis yet, but I just have a feeling… any of you felt the same about yourself?

Thanks,

Kandi-feeling nervous and anxious!

bartfull Rising Star

Another reason to get tested is that celiac runs in families. If you know you've got it it's really important to get your daughter tested too. Even if she tests negative at first, it can develop at any time so she should be tested periodically throughout her life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I hate to sound negative since I don't have a diagnosis yet, but I just have a feeling… any of you felt the same about yourself?

I think the anxiety and fear is fairly prevalent.  I have to be honest though - I was actually relieved when I first got the diagnosis - and I was asymptomatic so wasn't even looking forward to feeling better.  I was relieved at being diagnosed BEFORE I developed more serious conditions that come with much more invasive and extensive treatments and consequences.  Yes, it is a lifestyle change that can be intimidating at first.  But you could say that about a lot of things.  (You may feel anxiety and fear right before getting married or having your first child, but that doesn't mean it has to be a negative thing in the long run.)

Focus on the fact that you'll feel better.  You'll have your health back.  You know what they say... if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.  You'll also be able to get your kids tested and potentially save them from years of health problems and pain.  That's all good stuff!

Archived