This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strange Occurrences With Bowel Movements After Going gluten-free?

JennaQ

JennaQ Rookie

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong board. I looked several times but I couldn't quite figure out where to place it. Mods - If it is in the wrong place, please move it and I apologise!

Anyway, to the root of the matter.

I am gluten sensitive and have been completely gluten-free for about three weeks now. I have always had bowel issues (sometimes what I call "razor poops"), but the majority of the time everything is a-okay.

Here is an image of the Open Original Shared Link, because if you do not know about it, you won't understand my next sentence.  ;)

479px-Bristol_stool_chart.svg.png

Sorry for the super-details!! But we all do it  :P

Anyway, since I have gone completely gluten-free, I have noticed that my poop is ALWAYS either a 1, 6, or 7. It is never 2-5, and I never have that normal "snake" shape. Ever. And even when it is a 6 or a 7 (or a combo) I still get that constipated feeling.

I also have had a bit more gas pains lately (though not an increase in flatulence).

Why is this? My diet really hasn't changed so much, and the things that I was eating that had gluten I merely changed to gluten-free alternatives. It used to be that I would have the full spectrum of the chart.

I know that bowel movements can tell a lot about a person's health, and since it started when I started going gluten-free, that I should ask. Thanks!! ^_^

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Welcome to the forum!  Are you gluten sensitive or are you Celiac?  If it is Celiac, then you have villi damage and being that it has only been 3 weeks, your body is still healing and cleaning out.  Probiotics and digestive enzymes can be very helpful.

Also, whether you are gluten sensitive or Celiac, take a look at the gluten-free alternatives that you've added to your diet.  If you're eating a lot of processed food, it isn't necessarily healthy just because it is gluten-free.  Many gluten-free foods are actually less healthy than their gluten equivalent because they have so many additives and crap in them to get them to be an acceptable texture, get them to hold together, not taste like sawdust, etc.  Some folks find they have sensitivities to xanthum gum, for example.  It is highly recommended that when you first go gluten-free that you stick to whole food and avoid the processed crap as much as possible.

(And no worries about the poo details!  We have discussions about poo on here all the time!  :) )

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I believe that changes are actually a good sign that your diet is making a difference.  I did notice changes in mine after going gluten free.

D

kareng Grand Master

Even if you subbed gluten-free for gluteny, you are likely still getting a different amount of fiber and maybe a few ingredients you never ate much of before. For example, most gluten-free bread doesn't contain as much fiber as many gluten breads. gluten-free bread can have more " gums" than regular bread. Sometimes, it's just a matter of sorting this out or getting used to the new foods.

Also, if you have celiac, it can take months to heal and normalize. Your gut bacteria, good and bad, needs time and maybe some help, to normalize.

Unfortunately, there isn't a pill we can take for patience! When I invent one, I'll be very rich...... Or maybe not..... I will suddenly have the patience to wait for the money? Maybe we should invent a bionic robotic GI tract? :)

eers03 Explorer

Hi!  Welcome to the forum.  Have you been tested for Celiac Disease or do you just feel like you do better when you stay away from it?  You said you aren't having a flatulence issue--that's a good thing.  Early in my celiac disease diagnosis and gluten-free diet my movements were much like you described.  Over the course of months I started getting into the 2-5 range that you mentioned.  They do take on a thinner look like you mentioned.

I had total villous atrophy so my body is putting in work on the healing process.

I think the other thing to watch for is if you have a mucus like substance floating around after your BM.  It took some time for my body to correct that as well but it did.

Good luck.  Have you ever had an EGD or colonoscopy?

• 3 years later...
MaSuper Newbie

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac in Oct. of 2016. I think I do ok and then BAM! It hits me like a ton of bricks, from not knowing there is wheat in the off brand of Crystal Light, to not knowing what it was. I am on vacation and already having BM problems again. I am super careful but didn't realize the scope I was using wasn't gluten free. Now my bowels are all messed up. I even have green poo, that's new ?Any ways. I'm sick of being sick. What will help me???

Ennis-TX Grand Master

First off, this is a really old thread you commented on, your should have started a new one. Second I never thought of scope being a issue....I always used colgate for mouthwash anyway since it is labeled gluten-free but I would assume scope is gluten-free also.....hmm.  Anyway as to the other stuff, you have to be careful with many powdered drink mixes, seasonings, sauce mixes etc. Wheat is common in cheaper ones, same with some malt flavorings in some. Though bit more rare as of late you better off using more higher end mixes, etc. or natural sources for stuff. I personally only use the gluten-free labeled Stir drink enhancers, and the ones from Sweet Drops (they make cola and root beer ones you can add to carbonated water for sugar free no BS soda)

Being a celiac in the world is like walking a mind field you have to learn what to look out for and after a year your get your set brands you stick to, patterns your trust, and become a master at reading labels.  You will still have a mistake every now and then or get random CC but you learn to deal with it and move on.

A few things to help try herbal teas, gas X, peptobismal, and Imodium MD (avoid generics lol) I find the green pure Anise (not star Anise) from Spicely Organics is gluten-free and helps with gas it is a natural herbal spice. You can also buy turmeric, ginger, etc from that company in bulk 1lb bags on amazon at decent pricing that can be great for mixing a bit in teas, protein shakes, and cooking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived