This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Eyes Shake When I Go Over Bumps In The Car.

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I have noticed something with my vision recently.  If I look at my electronic clock while using my electric toothbrush, my eyes shake with the vibrations.  My husband's eyes do not do this.  I also noticed that lights appear to flicker up and down as I ride down the highway at night seeing the lights on large green signs.  Yesterday, I heard the eyes have a layer of fat for shock absorption.  Hmmm

So, does anyone think their eyes are bouncing like this?  I am thinking I will discuss this with an eye doctor and my physician now that I realized it.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have noticed something with my vision recently.  If I look at my electronic clock while using my electric toothbrush, my eyes shake with the vibrations.  My husband's eyes do not do this.  I also noticed that lights appear to flicker up and down as I ride down the highway at night seeing the lights on large green signs.  Yesterday, I heard the eyes have a layer of fat for shock absorption.  Hmmm

So, does anyone think their eyes are bouncing like this?  I am thinking I will discuss this with an eye doctor and my physician now that I realized it.

D

Might want to get that checked out:

Open Original Shared Link

"The most common cause of acquired nystagmus is certain drugs or medication. Phenytoin (Dilantin) - an antiseizure medication, excessive alcohol, or any sedating medicine can impair the labyrinth's function.

Other causes include:

Head injury from motor vehicle accidents

Inner ear disorders such as labyrinthitis or Meniere's disease

Stroke

Thiamine or vitamin B12 deficiency

Any disease of the brain (such as multiple sclerosis or brain tumors) can cause nystagmus if the areas controlling eye movements are damaged."

I thought my eyes were hazel.  I had noticed for years orange stars around my pupil.  Today I looked in the mirror and my irises were without the orange stars.  The over-all color seemed silvery, maybe even bluish.

Anyone noticed such a thing?   I went around asking my family members what color my eyes are.

kareng Grand Master

Sorry to tell you, we are just getting older. :(

"Eye color also can change with age. This happens in 10 to 15 percent of the Caucasian population (people who generally have lighter eye colors).

For instance, my once very brown eyes are now hazel, a combination of brown and green. However, some hazel eyes actually get darker with age."

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

I merged these two topics together so all the info about your eye problems will be available for readers on one thread.

I found a picture that looked like the "orange stars" that I had.   Open Original Shared Link eye_diseases__pictures_slideshow/article htm  My eyes had looked like the picture for "uveitis" which is said to occur in diseases that cause inflammation.  I can't show the eye doctor my eyes now for him to see it.  The eyes have changed. 

kareng Grand Master

I found a picture that looked like the "orange stars" that I had.  I am still having trouble with links.  I will try to come back with it.  Open Original Shared Link eye_diseases__pictures_slideshow/article htm

Looks like it's talking about colds and flu.

Look...if you are really seeing some sudden and drastic changes in your eyes, this isn't the best place to get your info. You seem to feel they are serious. You really should get to the eye doctor immediately. Besides it being an eye issue, eye changes can be related to other, some very serious, health concerns.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

I agree with Karen.  Changes in eye color do occur in up to 15% of the White population.  

See here: Open Original Shared Link

"Most individuals achieve stable eye color by 6 years of age. However, a subpopulation of 10% to 15% of white subjects have changes in eye color throughout adolescence and adulthood in the eye color range that can be expected to reflect changes in iridial melanin content or distribution. These data also suggest that such changes in eye color, or the propensity to such changes, may be genetically determined."  

Chemical and Hormonal Issues may also cause eye color to change.

I also agree that if you are having these issues all of a sudden you should see an eye Doctor.  We really can't help with issues that are not Celiac connected as our knowledge base centers on that.

Good luck,

Colleen

Is there some way to rename it then?  Eye oddities or something?

GF Lover Rising Star

Is there some way to rename it then?  Eye oddities or something?

Diana.  You sound like you are concerned with the topic name but not concerned enough to see a Doctor?  These eye issues are not related to Celiac and would be better dealt with by your Functional Doctor or an Eye Doctor.  There is no thread for "oddities" since this is a Celiac/NCGI Forum.

Let us know what the Doctor says if you want.

Colleen

Thanks, I shared it with my caregivers (I doubt they were surprised) and I decided besides to see an eye doctor about it. I've been working on sorting out insurance benefits with a new company.  I don't really expect time as much of a factor since I noticed things quite a while back, but didn't think much of it until now. It isn't a problem, or even much of an hindrance just an odd thing .  I feel nearly positive this is connected to celiac, but maybe I have MS besides.  My knowing for sure whether I have MS or brain injuries isn't likely to change my treatment plan.  That is my opinion, and I don't know much yet.  It may change.   After 30+ years of celiac, I can expect some of these things.  So glad for the clear mind, energy, and strength to be coming back.

I guess ya all didn't read the book, How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor.  The Dr. Mendleson  (I think that is the right name) (a pediatrition of 30 years) said not use a doctor as your first defense as they tend to intervene too strongly.  He said to ask your family and friends first.  Often times what worked for one with the experience will work for them.  I still thinking people on the forum often do have the better answers than the doctors do.  But IF Nobody has anything to say about it than perhaps nobody else here has been through it.  That would tend to have one believe that it isn't linked to celiac.  BUT THAT is why I asked.

D

D

Pegleg84 Collaborator

A nystagmus (bouncing eyes) can be a neurological problem, which could possibly be related to celiac, i suppose (don't quote me on that), but it is something you should ask your optometrist about when you see them next. If it's happening all the time, it could definitely be a problem, especially if it's affecting your ability to drive/night vision, etc. Eye issues are not something to play around with. If it's something that happens if you get glutened, that's one thing, but if it's all the time, that could be serious. Get it checked out.

notme Experienced

duct tape.  fix ya right up ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

.  I feel nearly positive this is connected to celiac, but maybe I have MS besides.  My knowing for sure whether I have MS or brain injuries isn't likely to change my treatment plan.  That is my

opinion, and I don't know much yet.  It may change.   After 30+ years of celiac, I can expect some of these things.  

Diana,

If you do indeed have a brain injury or MS, there absolutely IS a different treatment protocol. 

And you should find out if it is either of those so you can be treated properly..

Sometimes, we get symptoms or conditions that other people without celiac also get.

I am not trying to be difficult here, but not everything (eyes shaking, hair loss on your legs, etc.) is a celiac-related condition.

sometimes, it is old age

sometimes it is menopause

sometimes it is "idiopathic"... independent of anything else.

and sometimes, it happens without a connection to celiac

I nearly broke my ankle, It had nothing to do with celiac.( I am klutz) I had horrid ligament tears.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE A SERIOUS NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER  like MS...then, please, do see a neuro.

We are not doctors on here. We can only  give opinions.

Here's mine : please, go see a Neurologist and tell her about your symptoms because if it IS a clinical manifestation of something 

important, OTHER THAN CELIAC, you should be taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought this up with the new MD (Dr. Wheatley of all names)  I saw the other day.   She listened to my description and said that it was "Tired Brain."  The brain fails to put the pieces of the pictures together!  She did not feel it was anything to worry about.  I happens seldom and is not getting worse over time.  My main celiac symptoms were foggy brain and fatigue, so I would not be surprised if it is related too celiac.  Nothing made my brain more tired than celiac.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  I posted on another forum and 3 people said they had almost right away!  Everyone try an electric toothbrush and look at an electric clock and see if the numbers jump around with the vibrations!'

Also, I am planning to make further inquiries when I visit my Functional Medicine Nurse.  I already mentioned it to her.  No reply, so I take it she is not surprised or worried.

D

Archived