This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Did It!

MChase

MChase Apprentice

I went out with friends for the first time since being gluten-free.  I've only been gluten-free for 10 weeks.  It was my 40th birthday on Friday and my friend's 40th on Saturday.  She invited my husband and I out to celebrate our birthdays (she picked the restaurant).  I checked out their menu online (they had a gluten-free menu).  Once we were seated at the restaurant (before drinks were ordered), I made sure to ask about their gluten free menu (I also asked if anyone else needed an allergy menu).  She and her husband ordered an appetizer that was definitely not gluten-free and when her husband kept insisting I try it.  I kept telling him that "although it looks delicious and wished I could I, I cannot eat it".  He kept persisting.  So, I ended up saying "are you going to hold my hair while I'm puking all night?" Another guest said "eww, let's not talk about that while eating"...  I said "well, if I have any gluten, I will be in the bathroom all night and will be sick for a long time from it".  He didn't ask again.  When it came to order our dinner, I asked the waiter lots of questions  about their gluten free menu, including the exact ingredients of the sauce that they use.  I did apologize to the waiter for asking lots of questions but let him know it was necessary.  He was very friendly.  

There were some small convos about outgrowing allergies (tried to briefly explain this is not an allergy), how easy it really must be to do gluten-free because there are so many packaged gluten-free products now (explained that yes there are, but they are very expensive and with other food allergies and intolerances I am best to stick with non-packaged foods and make everything homemade). I also let them know that it is all or nothing (ie cutting out some gluten doesn't work for those with Celiac or gluten intolerance).

Then it was dessert time.  I was so full from my salmon, jasmine rice and spaghetti squash that I declined dessert.  But that didn't stop them from insisting that I took a bite of theirs just to taste it.  So, I just politely told them again, "It looks so delicious, but I don't want to ruin our night by getting sick".  We were heading to a bar afterwards to meet up some more friends.

So all in all... I DID IT!!!  I went to my first outing with friends since going gluten-free.  Yes, I felt a bit "picky" but I stood my ground (politely) and didn't get sick!!!  I even had a few drinks at the bar (gluten-free of course).  This is the first time in my life that I have gone out and not been some degree of sick.  

Yay me!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

:D

GF Lover Rising Star

Congratulations  :D  :D 

kareng Grand Master

I went out with friends for the first time since being gluten-free.  I've only been gluten-free for 10 weeks.  It was my 40th birthday on Friday and my friend's 40th on Saturday.  She invited my husband and I out to celebrate our birthdays (she picked the restaurant).  I checked out their menu online (they had a gluten-free menu).  Once we were seated at the restaurant (before drinks were ordered), I made sure to ask about their gluten free menu (I also asked if anyone else needed an allergy menu).  She and her husband ordered an appetizer that was definitely not gluten-free and when her husband kept insisting I try it.  I kept telling him that "although it looks delicious and wished I could I, I cannot eat it".  He kept persisting.  So, I ended up saying "are you going to hold my hair while I'm puking all night?" Another guest said "eww, let's not talk about that while eating"...  I said "well, if I have any gluten, I will be in the bathroom all night and will be sick for a long time from it".  He didn't ask again.  When it came to order our dinner, I asked the waiter lots of questions  about their gluten free menu, including the exact ingredients of the sauce that they use.  I did apologize to the waiter for asking lots of questions but let him know it was necessary.  He was very friendly.  

There were some small convos about outgrowing allergies (tried to briefly explain this is not an allergy), how easy it really must be to do gluten-free because there are so many packaged gluten-free products now (explained that yes there are, but they are very expensive and with other food allergies and intolerances I am best to stick with non-packaged foods and make everything homemade). I also let them know that it is all or nothing (ie cutting out some gluten doesn't work for those with Celiac or gluten intolerance).

Then it was dessert time.  I was so full from my salmon, jasmine rice and spaghetti squash that I declined dessert.  But that didn't stop them from insisting that I took a bite of theirs just to taste it.  So, I just politely told them again, "It looks so delicious, but I don't want to ruin our night by getting sick".  We were heading to a bar afterwards to meet up some more friends.

So all in all... I DID IT!!!  I went to my first outing with friends since going gluten-free.  Yes, I felt a bit "picky" but I stood my ground (politely) and didn't get sick!!!  I even had a few drinks at the bar (gluten-free of course).  This is the first time in my life that I have gone out and not been some degree of sick.  

Yay me!  

Yeah!

Sounds like Bonefish grill?  We like that place.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Congratulations!  And Happy Birthday!!  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Happy birthday, congrats and now that you have told them--in detail WHY you can't have it--I do hope they stop asking

and pushing food on you. Nothing says BuzzKill  like them being persistent and you having to say it over and over and over.

And 40 is the new 30 ....because once you go gluten-free...you age backwards! True story.  ;)

notme Experienced

congratulations to you!  and happy b-day (ya look great btdubs :)  )

people need to get over what we are or are not eating!!  <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MGR Apprentice

Many congratulations to you from the other side of the pond too!!

eers03 Explorer

That's huge!  Happy birthday.

MChase Apprentice

Yeah!

Sounds like Bonefish grill?  We like that place.

Yes, it was Bonefish Grill.  I have never been there before.  The food was delcious.

MChase Apprentice

Thanks guys.  It was a success.  I was so worried about going out for the first time.  I was worried not being able to "stand my ground".  But since this is not a diet, but a must for health reasons, I had no choice.  At first, I felt a little bad, but got over it quickly.  Why do we think we need to feel bad about making sure we do not ingest "poison"?  And in my mind, that is how I liken gluten to.  It is poison and why would I want to ingest poison just to make someone else feel good about themselves?  As I have read elsewhere, if I was allergic to peanuts, would they insist that I try their PB&J?  Or if I was allergic to bees, would they insist that I start a bee colony? 

I just felt great that I put myself and my health first.  I was in control.  I am in control of what goes in my body.  It is a huge weight lifted now that the first gathering is out of the way.  Next, I have to conquer going to an upcoming banquet.  I am in the process of contacting everyone about my "dietary needs".  I contacted the head of the banquet, they referred me to the head caterer, which in turn told me that I cannot request any changes or a special plate , but have to contact the head of the banquet who must then contact the head caterer. (Not sure why we gotta go in circles, but hoping we can get it sorted out).  

And thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!

MChase Apprentice

congratulations to you!  and happy b-day (ya look great btdubs :)  )

people need to get over what we are or are not eating!!  <_<

Thank you

Adalaide Mentor

Happy Birthday! It's the best time of year for the birthday isn't it? (I would know ^_^)

It feels good to get that first time under your belt successfully. Gratz on that. Once you manage that it feels like the world opens up and feels less restrictive. Yay for you!

love2travel Mentor

This is a big deal. You did a wonderful job remaining firm. Celiac can actually help one to become assertive when necessary which can be a good thing. Happy birthday to you!

Archived