29 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze422

Blaze422

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

As my rashes are slowly going away ( diet and dapsone ) one of the reasons I am pretty sure I have DH is that itching increases with salty foods.
I understand that gluten will cause antibody production and the longer I stay off gluten, then less reactive ..(ie..less antinbodiy prduction) will result from accidental ingestion of gluten.
Does iodine cause a "relapse" in the healing process... Or is it only temporary increase in itchiness?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

For me, it made the rash flare. It didn't increase gluten antibodies, but it made the rash angry...

Iodine was like water on a grease fire.

Not all salt is iodized. If you are interested in testing iodine I'd try something direct - like a bite of seaweed. Or, a bit of iodized salt in a dish.

Or, research the salty foods that make you itch and find out if they're iodized. Probably the best, first choice.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

Same here as Prickly only my problem with iodine lasted longer than Prickly's experience. I had to go low iodine for literally well over a year. I would keep testing it along the way & had to keep backing off of it. But since Sept., have been eating it to my heart's content & have no problems. I have not yet added back seafood or iodized salt but everything else is back on the table.

And I am very happy to say that 2 years & 1 month strict gluten-free; I have not itched in 4 or 5 days now & all my places are healing rapidly & no new ones have appeared. YAY! 

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Same here as Prickly only my problem with iodine lasted longer than Prickly's experience. I had to go low iodine for literally well over a year. I would keep testing it along the way & had to keep backing off of it. But since Sept., have been eating it to my heart's content & have no problems. I have not yet added back seafood or iodized salt but everything else is back on the table.

And I am very happy to say that 2 years & 1 month strict gluten-free; I have not itched in 4 or 5 days now & all my places are healing rapidly & no new ones have appeared. YAY! 

:o WOW.  Squirmy, that is wonderful to hear  :D  My first smile of the Day  :lol:

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

Excellent news!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thanks to both of you! Guess who is smiling also? :P Hubs has good news too in that he hasn't had any itchies in about 10 days --- all his skin is all healed up & you can't even tell he ever had anything. He's a happy camper!!!!

Not to steal your thread Blaze......just letting you & everyone know that perseverance DOES pay off & there is an end to this for all of us. It may take a lot longer for some but there IS an end.

And last but not least....... either hubs or I or both could have flares yet but one day there has to be a point where there are no flares. For now we are just enjoying the present & it's present to us. :lol:

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 Blaze422

Blaze422

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Congrats for sure!
Squirmy....when you say you would test iodine...can you explain what you mean...what you did?
Also, do you season with non-iodized salt...my understanding is it taste essentially the same.

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

When I say I tested iodine, I would eat high iodine foods --- cheese is my Achilles heel & so I would eat cheese a couple times a day for a few days & maybe have some yogurt too. Each time I tried; I would get a flare up in a couple days so I would go off the iodine rich foods again. I finally got to a point where I did not test it for 4 or 5 months b/c I was tired of the disappointment. And then in Sept. I began testing again & all was good so I added more iodine like milk, egg yolks, butter, etc... & I have had no problems. I find zero taste difference between iodized table salt & non iodized table salt & yes, that's what I season with.

BTW, when I got iodine caused flares, if I quit the iodine foods, the flare would back off in 3 days time. But we are all different so your timeline may be shorter or longer. My hubs took 10 days to come down from iodine induced flares & he tried it twice & refused to try it again for close to a year.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'd have a typical two week flare. Meaning it flared up and went down within two weeks.

Seaweed, asparagus and potatoes got me.

Geez, the seaweed....

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#10 Blaze422

Blaze422

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Ok...not to over analyze it...but why stop now?..
Are you both saying the flare up would result in both increasing itchiness and ALSO spreading/increased reddening of the rash?

I realize everyone is different, but I'm wondering if iodine will cause a relapse of the healing/ a new area of rash,/ a darker hue to the rash....or merely a temporary worsening of the itch.

Thanks for your patience!

#11 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

No problem Blaze! Ask any questions you want. I realized after I posted that I may not have made everything as clear as I could have. Okay, for me & also for my hubs this is how the iodine would affect us:

We would get many new blisters or lesions. We knew it was iodine b/c there were so many MORE suddenly popping up rather than "the usual".

Places that had been healing would backslide & reflare resulting in increased reddening, raised & itching & some would re new blistering

Places that were almost healed up would get red, raised & increased itching or renewed itching

I'm suspecting you're also wondering or asking why at some point the iodine doesn't have the maddening flare effect anymore. I can't really answer that. Maybe Prickly can. I can only surmise that the antibodies in our skin become less powerful as individuals & that's when the iodine does not have the same effect on the rash along with a lessening of the sheer # of antibodies????? Oh yes, I did have a time or 2 where I missed that carrageenan (seaweed) was in something & that was the very devil to pay!!!!!!! 

And if you're asking why would we go back to iodine rich foods...... we all NEED iodine as I'm sure you know so we try to go back on it asap PLUS we ALL need our calcium which comes mainly from dairy so we don't want to deprive our bodies any longer than we have to. Why didn't I take calcium supplements (non dairy ones that is)? I tried but my gut just couldn't handle them. For years & years before I discovered I had celiac I tried every single calcium supplement on the market & could not tolerate any of them. Indigestion big time, gerd, you name it. Now it all makes sense b/c it was the villi not able to handle the lactose. But when I went gluten-free then I knew to get non diary supplements. Still my gut was not in any shape to process such a hard mineral???? We celiacs have some weird stuff go on with foods, supplements so I didn't question it too deeply --- I just know I don't do well with calcium supplements of any kind. Same thing for me & B supplements --- they don't like me. I can EAT calcium rich foods now & have no problem & EAT high B foods & have no problem. I just think of it like this --- my body likes to get my vitamins & minerals from the foods I eat & personally, I think that's the best way for all of us to get what we need. I realize sometimes we have to supplement (if we can) but when we don't have to & can get it from food then we should.

I tried calcium supplements for so many years prior to celiac discovery b/c I am/was a prime candidate for osteoporosis. Petite, thin, smoker, going into early menopause, Caucasian. Now I'm post menopause & celiac so add those in & I really need my calcium!!!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I had been clear almost 2 months, then went iodine crazy at thanksgiving the first year (about 5 months gluten-free, 2 months LI). New breakout. Not as bad, but bad enough to not eat leftovers and go LI for a week. Again.

Iodine makes the gluten antibodies angry - makes the rash flare. I don't know the scientific interaction. Gluten antibodies cause dh, iodine can make dh flare.

Not everyone reacts to iodine. But if you do, watch it! Yes, it can turn healed skin into blisters, it can make a small rash big.

Iodine deficiency used to be an issue in this country (hence iodine fortified salt). Deficiency causes goiter, etc. your thyroid needs a certain level of iodine to maintain function. I have Hashimotos so low iodine long term/permanently wasn't a good idea.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#13 Blaze422

Blaze422

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Good stuff...thanks.
I'm thinking almond milk is safe and a good source for calcium.

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

If you're going to avoid iodine then read the ingredients. Almond Breeze has carrageenan (seaweed) which is one of the biggies that usually gets those of us who need to steer clear of iodine. You'll find many of those nut milks contain carrageenan.

http://almondbreeze....vid=329&pid=330

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#15 Blaze422

Blaze422

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Silk pure almond milk..no carrageenan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: