Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free Hamburger Bun Idea- Think Outside The Bun!

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

So, I read an article linking to this original post:

http://dudefoods.com...french-fry-bun/

And I thought, holy crap!  That looks delicious and (minus the gross food glue dunno whats in that)  gluten free.  Think of the possibilities... Like those baked cheesy bacon potato skin thingies used as a hamburger bun.  Mmmmm.  Or two twice baked potatoes used as a hamburger holding device.  

I think next time I go to Chik Fil A and they aren't busy, I am going to ask them to do something for me.  You know those addicting waffle fries and you sometimes get one that is the size of the carton... I am going to ask them to find me two of those in the bag of frozen ones, so I can make a chicken and french fry sandwich.  The manager and a few staff members at the one near me recognize me as "celiac girl".  Oh, I am totally putting that ranch dipping sauce on it.  Who cares what the mess is.  Does Chik Fil A sell bacon for their sandwiches?  It would make an excellent addition and hold in the sauce.

Now I really want to get a waffle fry cutter, go buy some giant round hamburger shaped potatoes, and make myself a waffle fry bun hamburger.

I have been really hungry today... can you guys tell?  Half my town including us had no power all day so I sat around reading stuff on my cell phone until it died.  I couldn't wait to come post this.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

:wub:

Just showed one of my sons -- he will be trying something like this very soon...I'm thinking I may need to do a sweet potato version at some point as well!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Maybe you could make one with hash brown cut potatoes?  Use a little egg & rice flour for the glue?  Like a latke?  Or left over mashed potatoes with the egg and the flour?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I actually fry my hash browns as a patty until they're crisp. That's brilliant, I could just do two small ones. I had been thinking I could get a mandoline (I keep hounding my husband for one but he says $100 is too much to spend on a single kitchen gadget <_<) and just do the giant waffle fry thing. The hash browns could get me by until I can talk him into my "gadget."

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I like Karen's idea of using egg to hold the fries together.  Probably other things we could sue too ifn some of us put out noodles together.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

I actually fry my hash browns as a patty until they're crisp. That's brilliant, I could just do two small ones. I had been thinking I could get a mandoline (I keep hounding my husband for one but he says $100 is too much to spend on a single kitchen gadget <_<) and just do the giant waffle fry thing. The hash browns could get me by until I can talk him into my "gadget."

You can tell your husband that although it is an expensive gadget, it is essential! I have one and use it nearly every day- it is wonderful for cutting veggies for salads, soups, potatoes for Spanish omelettes, etc. it it my most used kitchen implement, and also the most dangerous one as one can cut oneself very badly- At home we have a rule where nobody is allowed to speak to me whilst I am using it!! Also make sure you buy a good one as not all of them work as well.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Oh, I already have mine picked out! I have for years now. <_< For a long time the biggest issue was that my ataxia was so bad that I probably would have taken off the end of a finger. Now though, I think I'll be fine. I also realize it is something I'll use at least 4 or 5 times a week if not every day. But when it comes to parting my man with his wallet... :rolleyes: He's lucky I don't whine for the $300 I want, he's getting off light at $100.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

Spend the $ on a good, quality mandolins with a stable base and NEVER use your fingers to hold the item you're slicing.

Yeah. Sliced the tip of my finger off cause I'm an idiot. They glued it back (wanted to stitch it but I said nasty mean things). Took years for the nerves to feel semi normal.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Spend the $ on a good, quality mandolins with a stable base and NEVER use your fingers to hold the item you're slicing.

Yeah. Sliced the tip of my finger off cause I'm an idiot. They glued it back (wanted to stitch it but I said nasty mean things). Took years for the nerves to feel semi normal.

I once worked third shift in a grocery store with an older gentleman and it was just the two of us for the whole store. We were expected to cashier and man the deli. I watched him slice off the tip of his finger in the deli one night, so I know the danger. I also worked in a steakhouse once and we used those giant things to cube whole heads of lettuce at once and used the safety gloves for that so the worst you would do is shatter every bone in your hand, not also cube your hand (and subsequently waste the restaurant's money by ruining the lettuce with your blood :lol:).

I've waffled between getting one of those gloves for safety, because I'm a Lucy. And not because of the loss of dexterity. They're really cheap though, $10-20 I think for one and you only need one for the hand you're cutting with.

Oh, and while the one I picked is only $100(ish) it seems to be quality and the reviews are good so I'm totally set on it.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

As soon as I saw this post, last night for dinner, we had grilled burgers and I used waffle fries for my bun.  I thought this was a brilliant idea and it tasted great too.  I just got some frozen waffle fries and cut the burger in half and ate it as 2 mini burgers, with cheese, bacon and ranch dressing - it was delicious!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I once worked third shift in a grocery store with an older gentleman and it was just the two of us for the whole store. We were expected to cashier and man the deli. I watched him slice off the tip of his finger in the deli one night, so I know the danger. I also worked in a steakhouse once and we used those giant things to cube whole heads of lettuce at once and used the safety gloves for that so the worst you would do is shatter every bone in your hand, not also cube your hand (and subsequently waste the restaurant's money by ruining the lettuce with your blood :lol:).

I've waffled between getting one of those gloves for safety, because I'm a Lucy. And not because of the loss of dexterity. They're really cheap though, $10-20 I think for one and you only need one for the hand you're cutting with.

Oh, and while the one I picked is only $100(ish) it seems to be quality and the reviews are good so I'm totally set on it.

I mentioned another mandoline once and my husband yelled at me in public. Told everyone in the store I chopped the tip of my finger off and ruined his golf game.

He had told me, at first sight, that I'd chop my finger off and I told him I wouldn't, if course....

I'm worse than Lucy...I'm a Stooge.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I don't have a mandoline, but I have a mandolin. And I have never cut my finger on it. :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I don't have a mandoline, but I have a mandolin. And I have never cut my finger on it. :lol:

You are the smart one. Stick to that one.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#14 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

As soon as I saw this post, last night for dinner, we had grilled burgers and I used waffle fries for my bun.  I thought this was a brilliant idea and it tasted great too.  I just got some frozen waffle fries and cut the burger in half and ate it as 2 mini burgers, with cheese, bacon and ranch dressing - it was delicious!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Oooooohhhh mini burgers!!! Genius!  

When I bought my mandoline slicer recently (doesn't do waffle fries though, dangit!) my husband made me pinky swear I would always use the included food guard before letting me get it off the shelf.  I am very accident prone and I think me having that scares him, lol.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Ah, let's just live dangerously, let's wave our mandolines around!! In our house it has acquired a personality of its own and we call her Gwendoline! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: