16 replies to this topic

#1 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Do you have swelling? I have had joint pain for almost two years now, but I've never had any swelling. My joint pain is severe at times and although they get warm, they never swell.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

While I DO have arthritis in my spine, the joint pain in my fingers and shoulders and knees and hips was caused by nightshades. I was intolerant to potatoes for a long time (psoriasis flares), so when I finally got them back I went on a potato binge. After a couple of weeks the joint pain came on strong, and remembering that folks here have said that nightshades could cause that pain, I gave them up and within a couple of days the pain was gone.

I've been eating a few potato chips lately and so far so good. Nightshades are cumulative. If I go easy and take breaks of a few days, it looks like I can eat them without pain.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

While I DO have arthritis in my spine, the joint pain in my fingers and shoulders and knees and hips was caused by nightshades. I was intolerant to potatoes for a long time (psoriasis flares), so when I finally got them back I went on a potato binge. After a couple of weeks the joint pain came on strong, and remembering that folks here have said that nightshades could cause that pain, I gave them up and within a couple of days the pain was gone.

I've been eating a few potato chips lately and so far so good. Nightshades are cumulative. If I go easy and take breaks of a few days, it looks like I can eat them without pain.

So you do not have swelling with the pain?

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Nope. No swelling, just pain and stiffness.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Nope. No swelling, just pain and stiffness.

Thanks.

#6 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have had severe joint pain over the years but I have never had swelling with it.

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#7 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

I have had horrendous joint pain for years. During my gluten challenge I swelled up so much all over, I couldn't even wear my wedding rings! I'm improving a bit now that I have been gluten free.

#8 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

The first time I experienced a joint pain flare-up I had swelling, heat and redness. It scared me to death. i went from normal to not being able to use scissors within a week. I remember the relief when it finally passed a month later...

Ever since then, I do not get swelling or redness, and if I do it's very very minor. The pain is often the same and usually symmetrical on both sides of my body. Fingers, hands, shoulders, hips and elbows are usually the parts affected.

Frequency of attacks has lessened since going gluten-free. I had my last big attack from 3-6 months gluten-free, and I seem to be finishing a mild attack now - I'm taking hydrocortisol now so perhaps that lessened the intensity? No swelling at allthis past time, nor the last 3 month attack (from what I remember).

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I believe I just told you this in a PM exchange, but I will restate it here for other readers who may have the same question:

I do not have red swollen joints like in RA.  I have OA and osteoarthtiris does not cause red swelling in joints like RA does, but my knees are pretty big and my hands have obvious knobs on them (much to my dismay) .

Inflammation does not have to be "obvious". We all have inflammation but we may not "swell up"

There are tests that indicate a level of inflammation in the body--Sed Rate, C-reactive protein, for example. .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I had some terrible joint pain. Occasionally, I still do. I found that regular yoga helped sooooooo much.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

I believe I just told you this in a PM exchange, but I will restate it here for other readers who may have the same question:

I do not have red swollen joints like in RA.  I have OA and osteoarthtiris does not cause red swelling in joints like RA does, but my knees are pretty big and my hands have obvious knobs on them (much to my dismay) .

Inflammation does not have to be "obvious". We all have inflammation but we may not "swell up"

There are tests that indicate a level of inflammation in the body--Sed Rate, C-reactive protein, for example. .

Yeah Irish, I started this thread before I pm'd you. ;)

#12 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

I had some terrible joint pain. Occasionally, I still do. I found that regular yoga helped sooooooo much.

This so good to hear. I just purchased a beginners yoga video and want to see if it helps. 

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#13 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

I had awful SI joint paint for twenty years, with no swelling. My skin in the area felt hot to the touch. I had six cortisone shots over several years, and also tried physical therapy and yoga, and those things hardly helped at all. The worst pain seemed to correspond to when the lymph nodes in my groin were swollen (which happened often for unknown reasons). My CRP and Sed Rate were normal, but my monocytes were moderately elevated most of the time (also for unknown reasons). I do not have a celiac diagnosis but had dozens of symptoms for decades, and after six months gluten free the joint pain is much better, though not gone completely.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

I agree.

Yoga, walking, weight-bearing exercise of any kind, lifting weights, swimming, riding a bike....any kind of movement...these all effectively keep the horrible pain I once had down  to "non-screaming level".  :D I also highly recommend massage. The muscles around those joints are all tighter than heck and have trigger points in them (hyper-irritable knots) and need to be worked out.

I had awful SI joint paint for twenty years, with no swelling. My skin in the area felt hot to the touch. I had six cortisone shots over several years, and also tried physical therapy and yoga, and those things hardly helped at all. The worst pain seemed to correspond to when the lymph nodes in my groin were swollen (which happened often for unknown reasons). My CRP and Sed Rate were normal, but my monocytes were moderately elevated most of the time (also for unknown reasons). I do not have a celiac diagnosis but had dozens of symptoms for decades, and after six months gluten free the joint pain is much better, though not gone completely.

The SI joint pain is quite possibly the worst. I also had this, with pelvic floor dysfunction. I had physical therapy....lots and lots, including

visiting a very special PT who works on the pelvic floor. 

I'll spare you all the gory details, but it was not fun.

Before I was gluten-free, I tried everything to stop that pain, including the shots. No help.

Wrecked my gut using NSAIDs prescribed by rheumatologists. Never helped the pain level.

I take nothing now.

The point is....off gluten, healing, moving, therapeutic measures...calcium/mag/D and some collagen supplements for bones and connective tissues repair and I move better than I did when I was 35 (which was 20 years ago)

Hang in there, everybody!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I get joint pain with swelling.  On diagnosis the swelling was so bad that I had stopped wearing any rings.  I had to keep putting them on smaller fingers and I gave up.  After the gluten free diet my finger joints went back to regular size and I was able to wear the same rings on the correct fingers again.  When I get into a bad period of glutening they swell up again, and I actually had to cut one of the rings off one time as I couldn't get it off otherwise and it was cutting off my circulation.  I'm back to normal now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: