This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suspect Some Kind Of Gluten Intolerance

Richard-b

Richard-b Newbie

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I'm considering getting some kind of test for gluten intolerance. I seem to have quite a few symptoms which suggest I have gluten intolerance. 

There is one thing I'd like to ask you all, though. Whenever I immediately swallow something containing gluten, the sensation I feel is of the food feeling almost stuck in my throat, as if it is struggling to "go down". However, when I eat things which are gluten-free the sensation is completely different, as if the food goes straight down when I swallow. Has anybody had similar sensations when swallowing food containing gluten?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I know the feeling.  I think I have trouble when I don't tolerate what I am eating.  BUT am not sure about if gluten ever caused me this trouble and why it happens.

D.

ke1996 Newbie

I have the same thing happen, it's like the food won't go down. I quit gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar and processed foods 5 months ago. Recently nocturnal diarrhea has returned and I have lost about 25 pounds over the last few months. My gastrenterologist tested me a few months ago but was not positive for celiac, but he feels I am gluten intolerant. My concern is I am not ingesting gluten period... But there was a cancer marker in my bloodwork back a few months ago. All scoping of my intestines and stomach were clear. So every night I wear depends to bed, it's hell.

Thursdaysangel77 Newbie

Hello all, I am new to the board and don't post much but I really wanted to reply to this thread. Any of you with "food getting stuck in your throat" symptoms been checked out for EE? Eosinophilic Esophagitis? According to NIH.gov it is also an autoimmune disorder, like Celiac Disease and other AI's - only different. EE effects the throat and esophagus. My sister was diagnosed with EE a few years back and I can tell you that she experienced things getting "stuck" in her throat, especially dry things like bread or meat but NOT all foods. It seemed very selective and kind of random if you ask me. From the outside looking in, it appeared that she had issues when she would eat, she would drink water and try to get the food substance down. As the EE progressed and got worse over time, she had increasing difficulty trying to get the food to go down and subsequently wound up throwing up what she couldn't get to go down later in the course of the EE - but still before getting diagnosed. I am not sure whether or not throwing up is part of EE or if my sister also had a bad combination of EE and a sensitive gag reflex or something. In either case it is diagnosed via Endoscopy or more recently they are also developing a gene panel test for it too. I wish you all good luck in finding out what the issue is and my description is not all-inclusive, nor is it a 100% accurate representation or description of EE. Merely just a suggestion for you guys to look into EE, research it, google it, ask your doctors about it if it seems to fit, etc. I am sure there are many facets and intricacies of the illness that I did not mention, I personally have never studied it, I just have a sister with it.

~ Thursday

Richard-b Newbie

Hello all, I am new to the board and don't post much but I really wanted to reply to this thread. Any of you with "food getting stuck in your throat" symptoms been checked out for EE? Eosinophilic Esophagitis? According to NIH.gov it is also an autoimmune disorder, like Celiac Disease and other AI's - only different. EE effects the throat and esophagus. My sister was diagnosed with EE a few years back and I can tell you that she experienced things getting "stuck" in her throat, especially dry things like bread or meat but NOT all foods. It seemed very selective and kind of random if you ask me. From the outside looking in, it appeared that she had issues when she would eat, she would drink water and try to get the food substance down. As the EE progressed and got worse over time, she had increasing difficulty trying to get the food to go down and subsequently wound up throwing up what she couldn't get to go down later in the course of the EE - but still before getting diagnosed. I am not sure whether or not throwing up is part of EE or if my sister also had a bad combination of EE and a sensitive gag reflex or something. In either case it is diagnosed via Endoscopy or more recently they are also developing a gene panel test for it too. I wish you all good luck in finding out what the issue is and my description is not all-inclusive, nor is it a 100% accurate representation or description of EE. Merely just a suggestion for you guys to look into EE, research it, google it, ask your doctors about it if it seems to fit, etc. I am sure there are many facets and intricacies of the illness that I did not mention, I personally have never studied it, I just have a sister with it.

~ Thursday

Thank you very much for this! Very nice of you to show such concern. I will look into it. How is your sister now? 

Richard-b Newbie

~ Thursday

I know the feeling.  I think I have trouble when I don't tolerate what I am eating.  BUT am not sure about if gluten ever caused me this trouble and why it happens.

D.

Thanks for the reply

Richard-b Newbie

I have the same thing happen, it's like the food won't go down. I quit gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar and processed foods 5 months ago. Recently nocturnal diarrhea has returned and I have lost about 25 pounds over the last few months. My gastrenterologist tested me a few months ago but was not positive for celiac, but he feels I am gluten intolerant. My concern is I am not ingesting gluten period... But there was a cancer marker in my bloodwork back a few months ago. All scoping of my intestines and stomach were clear. So every night I wear depends to bed, it's hell.

Thank you for your reply. I really do feel for you and I send my best wishes to you. I suppose the only thing I can say is to try and stay positive and believe that things will get better :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived