2 replies to this topic

Eheadings

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,589 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

How much gluten should be consumed prior to being screened for celiac disease?

It’s best to continue a normal, gluten-containing diet before being screened and diagnosed. If a gluten-free diet has been followed for more than a few weeks, then we recommend eating at least 1 serving of gluten (1/2 slice of bread or a cracker, for example) every day for 12 weeks prior to a blood test and 2 weeks prior to a biopsy. This is often referred to as a “gluten challenge” and should be done under the care of a medical professional.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

eers03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

The gluten challenge...  12 weeks...  Pretty sure mine was 12 years :-)  Having an official diagnosis is totally worth it if indeed you have celiac disease.  Good luck with things.

Diagnosis 11/2012

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gluten free, new, testing, celiac, doctor, blood work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: