#1 Eheadings

Eheadings

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

How much gluten should be consumed prior to being screened for celiac disease?

It’s best to continue a normal, gluten-containing diet before being screened and diagnosed. If a gluten-free diet has been followed for more than a few weeks, then we recommend eating at least 1 serving of gluten (1/2 slice of bread or a cracker, for example) every day for 12 weeks prior to a blood test and 2 weeks prior to a biopsy. This is often referred to as a “gluten challenge” and should be done under the care of a medical professional.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 eers03

eers03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

The gluten challenge...  12 weeks...  Pretty sure mine was 12 years :-)  Having an official diagnosis is totally worth it if indeed you have celiac disease.  Good luck with things.

Diagnosis 11/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: