This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Asprin Or Tylenol

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

My back has been killin me, I have just been trying to suffer thru it. But not working. Is there something over the counter I can take like Tylenol or Asprin that is Gluten and Corn free?? No use going to the Dr. he is on vaca and I cannot take high power pills anyway. But figured you guys would know. What does everyone take for pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Regular old Tylenol is gluten free. I just bought some when I had the flu two weeks ago. I am allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen which causes facial and tongue swelling. How is your swelling?

Thank you, Ohhh swelling comes and goes. I am sure it's nothing I am eating. i am going to the Dr. but he is out of town so I will wait till he comes back. I don't want to go to another Dr. My Dr. knows me. I had an appt with a dermatologist I thought well maby they can give me insight. But there was -40º day and they canceled , so my next appt. with them is March. Pfftt! SoI will make an appt with my Dr. When he gets back. Thanks for asking :) 

bartfull Rising Star

EVERYTHING has corn in it! I have to have my Tylenol made at a compounding pharmacy.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ugh, I forgot about your corn intolerance. I would check out the cost to have it compounded.

(As I sit here eating my corn Chex.... But I am not off the hook -- milk, nuts, garlic, eggs........)

Adalaide Mentor

I generally don't take pills for pain. Not because of an intolerance, but because I don't see the point when I'd have to be on them all day every day. When it gets bad I try to find alternatives before I go to pills. Just thought that maybe since you can't do corn (which Bart pointed out is in everything) you may want to explore alternative ways to treat. I use ice packs, heating pads, Bengay type things sometimes, hot showers, gentle stretching (don't do this if it hurts to do it!), maybe a little yoga, and these may sound stupid but really do help, meditation and mindfulness. You can also try foods that will make you release endorphins, I find a large glass of super chocolatey milk often helps me with certain types of pain. And (this may be a little controversial to post here but I'm going to say it anyway because it works) if nothing else is helping, orgasm is amazingly effective for pain relief.

LauraTX Rising Star

Adalaide I think thats a perfectly fine suggestion, actually.  Nothing better than making your own natural pain reliever chemicals.  In regards to the corn/gluten free, if you have a pharmacy in town that is an independent or compounding pharmacy, call and talk to the pharmacist and see if they have anything for you.  But I recall corn starch in a lot of medicine ingredient lists so I wish you the best of luck with that. 

Tylenol is generally better to take for acute pain, like a headache.  Aspirin is an NSAID, an anti-inflammatory drug, so anything caused by inflammation like a sore muscle, would be better off helped with aspirin.  Of course, you can try both for that specific pain and just use whatever works best :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Good tips!  Gentle stretching.  My hubby has back issues and he follows a stretching DVD and it helps him a lot.  Since I teach water aerobics (or swimming), I'd highly recommend it for healing and injury prevention (going slow and building up)!  

GFinDC Veteran

Plain old aspirin is what I'd choose.  Acetaminaphin is known to cause liver damage so I never take it.

bartfull Rising Star

Plain old aspirin is what I'd choose.  Acetaminaphin is known to cause liver damage so I never that it.

That WOULD be my first choice too if I weren't allergic to it. I try to be VERY careful with my Tylenol. Lately there have been several reports saying that just taking a little more Tylenol than the recommended daily dosage can cause liver damage. So I only take it when the pain is severe, and even then I only take one capsule (325 mg.) instead of the two that is the recommended dose. Then if that doesn't knock the pain back, I'll take another a couple of hours later. And I try to sleep as much as possible when I'm hurting. Sleep is the best medicine of all IMO.

GFinDC Veteran

I understand Barty.  I wonder if your compounding pharmacy could make corn free aspirin for you?  Seems like the could if they can do corn free Tylenol.  Anyway, I just wanted to throw that warning out there for people since it seems most times people ignore it.  Why I don't know.  It seems to me if people have a choice between a medicine that is known to cause liver damage and one that is not, its a really simple choice.  But I'm a male, and we have been accused in the past of oversimplying things.  This seems like one case where making it more complicated doesn't help tho.  Again, the male take,  not nessecarily the right way to think i know... :)

bartfull Rising Star

I have an actual allergy to aspirin. That means I can't take aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxin, even if they don't have corn in them. Can't even take willow bark. I get the intolerances from my mother's side of the family and the allergies from my father's side. Lucky me. <_<

GFinDC Veteran

Well those dirty rats (parents)!  :)  Well you got your musical ability form one or the other or both too Barty, so it's not all bad. :)  Bummer about the aspirin allergy tho.

bartfull Rising Star

Best parents in the world, and yes, they were both musical. And no matter what, that trumps any intolerances or allergies. :)

GFinDC Veteran

Amen! :)

I have had 1 back surgery, Yes the other methods do ease some of the pain. But I just needed something to get the rest of the pain. I did take Tylenol. It is muscle pain. I took Tylenol once in the morning once at night. Then 1 the next morning. So I took 3 and my back is much better. Thank you everyone. Tylenol may have corn in it but it didn't bother me. So all is good. 

bartfull Rising Star

Oh, that is GOOD! That means that, like me, you have gotten to the point you can handle corn STARCH. They say the protein is processed out of it but if I get glutened it puts me back to square one. Just go easy on the starch and don't do a ton of it, or for too many days in a row, and it will expand your diet tremendously. You can make gravy! You can eat Udi's! (AND their muffins!) Lot's of other things too. Congratulations!!!

TY bartful, I have been so careful and I just needed something to get that edge off. I thought well If one doesn't bother me. Maby I can take another. And the other one didn't bother me. So the next morning I thought .. hmmm one more and I will be fine. And it worked!! Back has been fine since. Doing yoga and stuff is fine. If I could get on  the floor!! I had a severe broken leg one time and I cannot get up and down off the floor. I do some stretches on the couch. But I think stress does my back in sometimes. 

frieze Community Regular

if you can afford it, modify a space in your home with grab bars/ramps whatever that would allow you to get down and back up again.  perhaps a consult with a PT would be in order?  don't want to damage shoulders!

frieze that would be a great idea but our house is small .... It is just not worth the clutter. I can do stretches on the couch, but thank you :) 

Archived