Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free Girl Scout Cookies - Horrible!

girl scout cookies girl scouts

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I'm kinda with you on that one Addy, I used to be a Girl Scout, definitely the best-seller.

I know I used to eat more than my share....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

I'm one of the few weird people in the world who don't like Girl Scout cookies - any of them - never did. But I was going to try the Gluten Free ones if I saw them... now I know not to bother. Thanks!

(Someone asked about their process and being aware of cross-contamination... the advertisement I saw had the "Certified Gluten Free" logo on it... which leads me to believe they must be doing it right... right?)

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#18 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

My wife always bought a bunch of cookies when her niece was in Girl Scouts. Luckily she's grown up now. Thin mints were my least favorite. Just never have liked hardly anything mint. I did like the Trefoils, Thanks-a-Lots, Samoas, and Tagalongs.

It's my understanding that the gluten-free ones are only to be offered in certain regions of the country, and only for table sales. 

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#19 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I have the new gluten-free chocolate chip Shortbread cookies. Our troop is selling them. I admit, the are not as good as my homemade chocolate chip cookies, but the are not bad for a commercially baked cookie. The bakery did use two gums which affect the texture a bit, but I suspect that they were trying to kids from pulverizing them.

I ate one and then found myself reaching for another. If they were horrible, I would have stopped at one. My Gluten eating daughter stressed that they were much better than the cinnamon diet cookies offered in the past.

The original poster has only been gluten-free for less than two months. Everyone has their own opinion, but let's face it, it takes a long time to forget what gluten containing foods taste like!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 sschevychevelle

sschevychevelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have the new gluten-free chocolate chip Shortbread cookies. Our troop is selling them. I admit, the are not as good as my homemade chocolate chip cookies, but the are not bad for a commercially baked cookie. The bakery did use two gums which affect the texture a bit, but I suspect that they were trying to kids from pulverizing them.

I ate one and then found myself reaching for another. If they were horrible, I would have stopped at one. My Gluten eating daughter stressed that they were much better than the cinnamon diet cookies offered in the past.

The original poster has only been gluten-free for less than two months. Everyone has their own opinion, but let's face it, it takes a long time to forget what gluten containing foods taste like!

Cyclinglady, you already posted a comment on the 1st page of this thread saying that I've only been gluten-free and it takes a long time to forget what gluten containing foods taste like.  My response to your first comment was that I actually have found a TON of delicious gluten-free cookies.  For example, Udi's snickerdoodles, although they are incredibly unhealthy (100+ calories per cookie) are actuallly the best snickerdoodles I've ever had.  I've even made a couple batches of gluten free cookies myself, using good recipes, that turned out really delicious.  So the issue is not that I am expecting so much from gluten-free cookies.  The issue was that MY experience with the girl scout cookie was that it was powdery, SUPER sweet, and tasted exactly like a candy cigarette. 

But again, I didn't write this post with the intent of attacking the girl scouts or hurting their sales.  I was just taken back by how bad of a job they did, especially considering that it seems very easy to make delicious gluten-free cookies, and I wanted to share my experience with others. 

As for your review of the cookie, someone mentioned that different regions bake the cookies differently, so maybe your region made a better gluten-free cookie, who knows.  My region's was very very BAD.

#21 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

Cyclinglady, you already posted a comment on the 1st page of this thread saying that I've only been gluten-free and it takes a long time to forget what gluten containing foods taste like.  My response to your first comment was that I actually have found a TON of delicious gluten-free cookies.  For example, Udi's snickerdoodles, although they are incredibly unhealthy (100+ calories per cookie) are actuallly the best snickerdoodles I've ever had.  I've even made a couple batches of gluten free cookies myself, using good recipes, that turned out really delicious.  So the issue is not that I am expecting so much from gluten-free cookies.  The issue was that MY experience with the girl scout cookie was that it was powdery, SUPER sweet, and tasted exactly like a candy cigarette. 

I think you guys both have valid input here, that is the great part of this forum :)  We are all Silly Yaks together.  I think cyclinglady may be correct in that they had to make them extra hard and stuff to make it through handling and such with the pouch packaging.

I personally never liked thin mints but I don't really like mint. I always liked the shortbread ones or "trefoils" I think they are called.   I think people don't buy girl scout cookies for the taste necessarily... I mean, how good can a shelf stable cookie be?  I used to LOVE pecan sandies as a kid, and one day a few years back I had a home made version from a bakery and I was like wow, pecan sandies taste like crap- where have these been all my life?!?!?!  I used to also be a fan of the famous amos chocolate chip cookies and those are about as hard and crusty as you can get.  But I would still eat the whole bag because they are all tiny and pop right into your mouth.  But they are no where in the same realm as fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.

BRB going to go dig in my chocolate stash now....

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

. But I really believe in the Girl Scout organization. It is not perfect, but no group is!

Me too! I was one for many years and I sold dozens of cookies.

I could eat a whole row of somoas in a heartbeat. :) 

I asked a group of them selling boxes outside the grocery store the other day f they had any G F ones. You would think I had asked

of they had any liver-flavored ones from the look I got. LOL The supervising Mom said 'Um,. no we just have the same flavors as always".

flavors...sigh...

I bought a few boxes anyway and gave them away to the guys working on our house.

Girl Scouts are a solid organization and they can use the support. IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Just as a counterpoint, in spite of what I read here I bought 2 bags of the gluten-free cookies from a local (NJ) troop, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Sure, you only get 20 cookies for $5, but I had to stop myself after 3 cookies.  I thought they tasted and felt like my memory of Pecan Sandies (with chocolate chips instead of nuts).  It has been 9 years, and I have pretty low expectations for gluten-free foods, but I have to say I would recommend these.  I'm going to buy more and hide them from myself for when I need a cookie fix and don't want to bake them myself.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#24 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Just as a counterpoint, in spite of what I read here I bought 2 bags of the gluten-free cookies from a local (NJ) troop, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Sure, you only get 20 cookies for $5, but I had to stop myself after 3 cookies.  I thought they tasted and felt like my memory of Pecan Sandies (with chocolate chips instead of nuts).  It has been 9 years, and I have pretty low expectations for gluten-free foods, but I have to say I would recommend these.  I'm going to buy more and hide them from myself for when I need a cookie fix and don't want to bake them myself.

I have some in my big freezer right now! It is supposed to keep me from gobbling them up, but I deserve a treat after polishing all my living and dining room furniture (my Mom is coming soon!)
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#25 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

UGH I want some!  Can't get them in my area :(

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#26 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

We can rag about any product, or situation here.  (As long as you aren't making a personal attack to a member/poster.) ;)

It really doesn't matter what the cookies taste like.  If a scout asks me to buy cookies, I buy cookies.  It is really nice to have the "For the Troupes" option.  Grab a box for a local packing party of care boxes for service men and women.  (My nephew did 3 tours and he loved getting care boxes!  It is a connection to home, "Girl Scout Cookie Time is a sign that spring is coming.)  I have just donated a few $ straight to the scout troupe that cuts out the "organization costs".

Michigan

#27 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I haven't checked yet to see if I'm in an area where we'll have them. And no matter how much I bitch and complain that they didn't do thin mints (and I won't stop either until I get them without making them myself) I'll still buy the cookies when I see them. I won't even stop to think about it. Just bam, done, cookies. I mean, it's Girl Scout cookies! Even if they suck I know a bunch of people at church I could pawn them off on and know where my money went so I won't feel bad. And samoas were my second favorite, I'd be nearly as happy to see those gluten free. I think just like everyone else, I'd plow through an entire row of whatever kind I was eating then be like uh... oops. :ph34r: :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#28 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Well, here's my two cents....  They're a cookie.  Sort of like the chips Ahoy (if I remember correctly!  ).  I rarely eat that processed stuff any more but bought them as they are Girl Scouts.  That said, hmm... they are ok.  A cookie.  And I will say even if they aren't the best and they aren't Thin Mints, well, at least the G.S. is making a try and so good for them!  I noticed that they even have vegan cookies so they are making an attempt to keep up with all of the changing food needs.  Kudos to Girl Scouts for making the effort and if they afre successful, as the years go by, perhaps they will improve.  Think back on some of the nasty G.F. offerings we had just a few years ago and look at what is available NOW!

#29 Lizzo

Lizzo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I don't usually eat processed foods, but I recently saw some really good things about the Girls Scouts that made me want to support them. So regardless of whether they are good or not, and regardless of the fact that they don't have thin mints (IMHO the ONLY way to eat minty chocolate)... I want to buy some!!! If anything, I'll just crumble my candy-cigarette-cookies on top of a sugar-free compote or something. Now I just need to find myself a girl scout....

#30 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Tried to buy them in San Diego...we are not one of the test markets...I'm told Riverside was the closest test market in SoCal.

The cookie mom I spoke with said she has had several requests for them so hopefully next year they'll carry them nationwide.

I think I may dash off an email to request gluten-free thin mints....I sent an email my first year gluten-free to request gluten-free cookies...guessing I'm not the only one ;)  shoulda been more specific.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: