Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free Girl Scout Cookies - Horrible!

girl scout cookies girl scouts

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

My sister somehow found them in Arlington, Mass. (must be near one of the test markets)  and gave them to my G F mom. She said "they're good with tea". :)

They made her happy. She did not elaborate on how good, but if they passed her test, they must be pretty good. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Been meaning to post this ....  while nothing matches Thin Mints... these Brownies come very close to the Thin Mint flavor -- certainly helped me thru a few post dx Girl Scout Cookie seasons :)

http://www.bettycroc...96-2e8164634f35

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#33 stereofidelic89

stereofidelic89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

I currently reside in Georgia for grad-school, where troops do not carry the gluten-free cookie. So, I went on e-bay, all curious and wide-eyed, and ordered a box for $6.99. 

The cookies arrived in an unfamiliar zip-top package, different to the typical packaging of Girl Scout Cookies.

The cover photo is misleading. I didn't expect a crumbly, messy, crumb covered cookie that tasted like imitation cookie dough often used in ice cream products. 

I have a difficult time believing that a team actually spent 'time' on this cookie, because my memory of the once delicious girls scout cookies (thin mins, samoas, patties) has gone to shit. 

I would be happy to recommend many, many, MANY other brands of cookies that do it well gluten-free.

However, this is a big leap for Girl Scout Cookies, and the goal was to make a statement, that Girl Scouts should consider allergen friendly options, and i'm happy they did. Bravo, Girl Scouts, you're half-way there. Now fix my cookie please ;)

#34 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Last week I finally saw some Girl Scouts out and hadn't checked online to see if we were a test area, I figured I would just ask if they had them when I saw girls selling them. So I walked up and asked, and one of the moms looked at me like I had two heads, a tail, and was going to kidnap and eat their children. I walked off in a huff. Jerks.

So I checked online and my mom is in a test area. I think I'll just make her mail me a box. HAH!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#35 sschevychevelle

sschevychevelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

THANK YOU stereofidelic89 for backing me up on this.  After a barrage of responses talking about how great the cookies were and someone repeatedly saying that I'm just expecting too much of gluten free cookies because I'm newly gluten free, it's good to hear there is someone else out there who is not lying to protect their daughter's cookie sales or just has broken taste buds.  

This was me after reading others' comments about how good the cookies were: 

I'm guessing someone will probably respond now and say that you must have gotten a fake bag of gluten-free girl scout cookies, but in reading your comment, I assure you those are them.  Extremely fine and crumbly, tastes fake and incredibly sweet.  

But again, I'm not trying to make a statement against the girl scouts, they are an awesome organization.  I'm just disappointed in their cookie, since everything else they make is so delicious AND since it doesn't seem that difficult to make a good gluten free cookie (Udi's, Pamela's, etc.)  

I currently reside in Georgia for grad-school, where troops do not carry the gluten-free cookie. So, I went on e-bay, all curious and wide-eyed, and ordered a box for $6.99. 

The cookies arrived in an unfamiliar zip-top package, different to the typical packaging of Girl Scout Cookies.

The cover photo is misleading. I didn't expect a crumbly, messy, crumb covered cookie that tasted like imitation cookie dough often used in ice cream products. 

I have a difficult time believing that a team actually spent 'time' on this cookie, because my memory of the once delicious girls scout cookies (thin mins, samoas, patties) has gone to shit. 

I would be happy to recommend many, many, MANY other brands of cookies that do it well gluten-free.

However, this is a big leap for Girl Scout Cookies, and the goal was to make a statement, that Girl Scouts should consider allergen friendly options, and i'm happy they did. Bravo, Girl Scouts, you're half-way there. Now fix my cookie please ;)

#36 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

THANK YOU stereofidelic89 for backing me up on this.  After a barrage of responses talking about how great the cookies were and someone repeatedly saying that I'm just expecting too much of gluten free cookies because I'm newly gluten free, it's good to hear there is someone else out there who is not lying to protect their daughter's cookie sales or just has broken taste buds.  

This was me after reading others' comments about how good the cookies were: 

I'm guessing someone will probably respond now and say that you must have gotten a fake bag of gluten-free girl scout cookies, but in reading your comment, I assure you those are them.  Extremely fine and crumbly, tastes fake and incredibly sweet.  

But again, I'm not trying to make a statement against the girl scouts, they are an awesome organization.  I'm just disappointed in their cookie, since everything else they make is so delicious AND since it doesn't seem that difficult to make a good gluten free cookie (Udi's, Pamela's, etc.)  

This description sounds a lot like some cookies I picked up at my local store that they were carrying for Passover. The brand is Gefen, and I grabbed them because I tend to feel better when I eat entirely grain free, and they were relatively low sugar. They look a whole lot like Famous Amos cookies, although thicker, and they taste JUST like you describe the Girl Scout cookies. I wonder if the Girl Scout recipe is tapioca and potato starch based, as well. And I was also really dissappointed because I've had other starch-based products that were super tasty, the Absolutely Gluten Free crackers are amazing. So, who knows....

Edited to add: I just looked at the pictures of them on the ABC Bakers website, and boy do they

LOOK the same! Weird.

Edited by JNBunnie1, 21 March 2014 - 04:55 PM.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#37 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

whoa.! ...hold on a sec.... :) no one is "lying " on here "to protect their daughter's cookie sales" or has "broken taste buds". 

You have your opinion and others have theirs.  This is a forum and that's how it works. People can express an opinion without  the need for anyone being rude in response. 

And that's my opinion. :)  

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#38 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

I found a picture of the packaging. They do look like a zip top type bag

http://bakingbites.c...cookie-in-2014/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: