Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glucola Drink

5 posts in this topic

Trutol 50, orange

It may be disgusting, but it is gluten-free!

It's made with corn.

1 800 556-7575

(I still refused it and gave the doc finger prick readings from a personal blood glucose unit instead.)

Connie

~29 weeks!!

Ads by Google:

Oh come on Connie!!! That is one of the rights of passage of pregnancy...!!!! Will she survive the awful dreadful oranglicious gluccola??? HEHEHEH

ahhh but is that stuff they make you drink before the epidural gluten free??? YEACK!!!! :P

Yeah, I know.... I woosed out :wacko:

But, the end result was the same...Gestational Diabetes.

Bye, Bye Midwife....Hello hospital! :angry:

Connie

Oh, no, Connie! I'm so sorry to hear that! :( I hope your delivery goes smoothly, when the time comes! Just out of curiosity, are all of your blood sugar readings high, or are some of them low? I have a pregnant friend (who I think may actually have celiac disease) who has had wildly varying blood sugar readings, along with a host of difficulties. Her doctor didn't diagnose gestational diabetes, though, because she had some extremely low readings that the doctor thought were inconsistent with diabetes. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks!

Hmmm....some of my readings are low also (60). Especially 2-3 hours after I eat--depending on what I eat (protien). Carbs and sugars make the whole set of reading higher, and mostly protiens make the readings lower.

I've only just been diagnosed, and haven't had my 2 week follow-up visit yet.

Here is some info I found (but I can't recall the site address):

"How is the test performed?

Here's how some of the tests may be done to check blood glucose levels:

A fasting blood glucose test is the preferred method to diagnose diabetes and rule out other conditions. This test is done after a person has had nothing to eat or drink except water for at least 8 hours. This is often called fasting. It is generally started overnight so the test can be done in the morning. Normal fasting plasma glucose levels are less than 110 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter). Fasting plasma glucose levels of more than 126 mg/dL on two or more tests done on different days usually indicate diabetes. Levels between 110 and 126 indicate a condition known as pre-diabetes. An HbA1c, also known as glycosylated hemoglobin, measures the average blood glucose over the past 3 months. It is a good measure of long-term blood glucose control. This test is generally done only in people who have diabetes. It is used to assess how well their therapy is working.

An oral glucose tolerance test requires a person to drink a premeasured amount of a glucose drink. Then two hours later, a blood glucose measurement is done. Healthy glucose levels with this test are less than 140 mg/dL. If the blood glucose is greater than 200 mg/dL, then another test is done on a different day to confirm whether the person has diabetes or not. Usually the fasting blood glucose test or the random glucose test is done.

A random blood glucose test is done shortly after a person has eaten or had something to drink. A level of 200 mg/dL or higher may indicate diabetes. Usually if a level is above 200 mg/dL, a fasting glucose test or oral glucose tolerance test is done to confirm the diagnosis of diabetes.

A self-monitoring of blood glucose, also called SMBG or home blood glucose monitoring, lets a person monitor blood glucose at home. This is done only by people who have diabetes. A record of daily blood glucose readings can be kept to follow changes in glucose levels throughout the day. This can be useful to the doctor in deciding if changes need to be made to the person's diabetes treatment plan."

So, my doctor wants my morning fasting readings between 70-100, but they are often 100+.

I've been watching my carb and sugar intake, and my readings were okay(and I thought I was over it or something), but then I had a small bowl of vanilla ice cream--the same amount and kind I usually eat--and I got super dizzy, sick feeling..... Well, my blood sugar rose to 222!! That has NEVER happened to me before! (I normally have low blood sugar, and could live on just sugar!) That was a definate "red flag". I guess as long as I stick to the plan we'll be okay.

It all seems inconsistant to me right now. I need to learn more about it, too.

Good luck to your friend!

Connie