30 replies to this topic

#1 Claire

Claire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

All those ads on TV for hair restoration products talk about the fact that hair loss is hereditary.

Well - so is Celiac. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out how many people - especially women who are losing their hair - also have Celiac Disease.

My grandmother lost her hair, My mother lost her hair. I am losing my hair. My celiac question remians to be answered.

Just a thought. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

I am going to see a new dermatologist about my hair loss tomorrow and was planning on bringing up that exact question. Not that there is a guarentee they can answer it, but I will let you know.

In my mind, I can think of multiple ways it'd be connected - hormonal imbalances from celiac disease (ex. thyroid issues), malabsorption, immune system attacking hair (called alopecia aerata sp?), genes contributing to both may be linked (inherited together) and/or influencing one another ...... I bet there's more.

Its a cruel fate. I wish that this aspect of celiac disease would get more airtime in the media/public. There are so many women out there that may be suffering needlessly.
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#3 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

My hair has thinned considerably. I also know someone who had alopecia for years....her hair grew back after she went on a no carb-high protein diet to lose weight. Interesting.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#4 bknutson

bknutson

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

My hair has thinned considerably.  I also know someone who had alopecia for years....her hair grew back after she went on a no carb-high protein diet to lose weight.  Interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

skarlet13 though you ate for 5 did you lose weight? And are you gaining it back? I am wondering if anyone gains it back after they get on the diet and start getting well. I dont want to gain my weight back I was fat anyway. I want to be well but not fat again. my hair is falling out too.

#5 cornbread

cornbread

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

One of my female cousin's had hair loss due to "stress" a few years ago... She was only in her 30's. It grew back, but it just backs up my feeling that my entire family is riddled with undiagnosed gluten intolerance.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:11 AM

All those ads on TV for hair restoration products talk about the fact that hair loss is hereditary.

Well - so is Celiac.  Wouldn't it be interesting to find out how many people  - especially women who are losing their hair - also have Celiac Disease.

My grandmother lost her hair,  My mother lost her hair.  I am losing my hair.  My celiac question remians to be answered.

Just a thought.  Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lost over half my hair volume, you could see my scalp, and my hair was rapidly turning snow white. Within 3 months gluten-free it was starting to grow back. It is now almost 3 years since diagnosis and my hair is so thick now I had to give up my natural bristle brush, it won't go through it anymore. Oh and what has grown back is brown, I have even found some hairs that are half and half, white on the bottom and brown up to the roots. My hair shafts have also thickened considerably, not just overall volume. My Mom's hair was very thin, she was very tiny, and I was told it just ran in the family, just like cancer does. Well that bunk stops here, it was celiac disease that runs in my family, not baldness, not emotional problems, not cancer. Celiac, and I did not show up on blood test, both kids did. I was married twice and kids have 2 different fathers, how uncommon could celiac be for both kids to show up on blood work when I don't? This tells me they also got the gene from their fathers, one Castillian Spanish and the other Scottish and Norwegian mix. Don't trust blood work, trust your body on the diet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:19 AM

I was starting to get some hair loss before I was diagnosed. The gluten-free diet cleared that up though :)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:36 AM

I talked to my derm this morning. Although his knowledge of celiac disease was limited, he said that he thinks celiac disease is linked to women's hair loss by Telogen Effluvium and celiac disease-related stress on the body. TE is a disruption in the hair cycle based on hormonal or nutritional problems and will cause a fluctuation in hair loss as well (with or without gluten, with or without celiac disease).

His overall recommendation was to get my gluten intake under control (which it hasn't been) and that it will take up to a year to notice the regrowth. He said he doesn't see me going bald in one year or ten years or decades, so that was good to hear.

Hope this info helps some of you.
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#9 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

Well that bunk stops here, it was celiac disease that runs in my family, not baldness, not emotional problems, not cancer. Celiac, and I did not show up on blood test, both kids did. I was married twice and kids have 2 different fathers, how uncommon could celiac be for both kids to show up on blood work when I don't? This tells me they also got the gene from their fathers, one Castillian Spanish and the other Scottish and Norwegian mix.  Don't trust blood work, trust your body on the diet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that 'bunk' line. I am sure you are right. I truly believe that the ads have it only half right. It is the genetic disease that causes the hair loss - not that the hair loss itself is genetic. Wonder when someone 'significant' will grasp this idea. Claire

#10 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:47 AM

I lost over half my hair volume, you could see my scalp, and my hair was rapidly turning snow white. Within 3 months gluten-free it was starting to grow back. It is now almost 3 years since diagnosis and my hair is so thick now I had to give up my natural bristle brush, it won't go through it anymore. Oh and what has grown back is brown, I have even found some hairs that are half and half, white on the bottom and brown up to the roots. My hair shafts have also thickened considerably, not just overall volume.  My Mom's hair was very thin, she was very tiny, and I was told it just ran in the family, just like cancer does. Well that bunk stops here, it was celiac disease that runs in my family, not baldness, not emotional problems, not cancer. Celiac, and I did not show up on blood test, both kids did. I was married twice and kids have 2 different fathers, how uncommon could celiac be for both kids to show up on blood work when I don't? This tells me they also got the gene from their fathers, one Castillian Spanish and the other Scottish and Norwegian mix.  Don't trust blood work, trust your body on the diet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Raven...is gluten the only thing you eliminated?
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#11 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

I used to always have really thick hair. Two years ago, just before getting my celiac diagnosis, my hair had started falling out. I ended up losing about 30% of it rather quickly. Now it grows much slower. Also, my hair is now very fine (almost like baby hair) and it is quite brittle.

#12 4getgluten

4getgluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

I too have always had very thick hair and never thought that I would have a hair loss problem. Then, I noticed it coming out in chunks about a year ago - the same time that my previously mild GI problems started to get really bad. Now that I've been gluten free for 8 months, my hair loss is much less. It actually seems to be growing back in the spots where it was thinning out. I have a friend whose sister is Celiac, and she experienced tremendous hair loss prior to her diagnosis. I definitely think it is related.
Karen
gluten-free since March 05

#13 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:29 AM

I too have always had very thick hair and never thought that I would have a hair loss problem.  Then, I noticed it coming out in chunks about a year ago - the same time that my previously mild GI problems started to get really bad.  Now that I've been gluten free for 8 months, my hair loss is much less.  It actually seems to be growing back in the spots where it was thinning out.  I have a friend whose sister is Celiac, and she experienced tremendous hair loss prior to her diagnosis.  I definitely think it is related.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Karen,
Did you lose your hair in patches?did you eliminate other thing than gluten?

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

Raven...is gluten the only thing you eliminated?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the first 6 months I also avoided any dairy other than yogert. I added dairy back then and now have no problems with it. My DH has been the hardest to fight, it seems to reactivate very easily, after reading 'Dangerous Grains' I have massively cut my rice intake :( , I find this harder to do than gluten elimination and haven't cut it totaly, I still consume it in small amounts in Tapioca bread and stuff like that but no longer eat 'whole' grain rice at dinner. It seems to have helped and the DH is now healing nicely. You may want to limit intake of rice for a while just to see if that helps. I also take mega vitamins for my hair and skin called Maxi-Hair by Country Life. I get them from my health food store but they also have a web site - www.country-life.com I think they helped a lot too because I had been undiagnosed for so long I had a lot of vitamin deficencies. Hope this helps.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 4getgluten

4getgluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

Karen,
Did you lose your hair in patches?did you eliminate other thing than gluten?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elisabet - I didn't noticed any patches except a little bit in front at my hairline, where it thinned out a lot. That area now seems to be filling back in w/ wispy baby fine hair. I didn't totally eliminate anything except gluten from my diet, but I did cut down on dairy - maybe 1-2 servings a day. I found if I eat too much dairy, I get a little GI discomfort - cramping mostly.
Karen
gluten-free since March 05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: