This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Velvet Cupcakes

moosemalibu

moosemalibu Collaborator

Well I found the recipe for the red velvet cupcakes from the Premium Gold website. I just pulled the first batch out of the oven and they smell so freaking good! 

Open Original Shared Link

I'm being super lazy and using the cream cheese betty crocker frosting. I typically make my own because I prefer mine to be less sweet but sometimes you gotta go for the shortcuts.

I find that I have to find specific recipes for the flour blends I buy because for whatever reason I am not good at adapting recipes, even ones that are already gluten free, to a different flour I have on hand. I understand the xantham gum principles but for whatever reason it never works out for me.

I'll be back to let you know how they taste!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KCG91 Enthusiast

Oooh exciting! I miss red velvet cupcakes :( Fingers crossed they pass the taste test :)

Adalaide Mentor

Thats my favorite flour blend! And cupcakes are my favorite thing! And red velvet are my favorite kind! So right now you're my favorite person!

Lalalala making cupcakes this week! :D :D :D :D :D :D

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thats my favorite flour blend! And cupcakes are my favorite thing! And red velvet are my favorite kind! So right now you're my favorite person!

Lalalala making cupcakes this week! :D :D :D :D :D :D

YAY!!! That is soooooo comforting to hear!! I love red velvet cupcakes, too! If you like the flour and use it for baking then I know I'm in luck! I'm about to infiltrate your recipe stash for more cupcake recipes with this flour! I found it at Home Goods for 6.99 for a 2lb bag! I see it on Amazon so that is where I will get it if I can't find it again locally.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Oooh exciting! I miss red velvet cupcakes :( Fingers crossed they pass the taste test :)

I'll eat one in your honor. I'm sorry if you haven't been able to eat one since gluten free, right? This is my first red velvet since being gluten free!

KCG91 Enthusiast

I'll eat one in your honor. I'm sorry if you haven't been able to eat one since gluten free, right? This is my first red velvet since being gluten free!

Nope, none for months! My supermarket stacks them next to the gluten-free section for some reason... evil! Recently I've been telling myself that there's nothing I *can't* eat because if I wanted it badly enough I'd learn to make it myself. So far this has extended to proper chips, cake type things and extremely rich coconut and mango curries. Healthy gluten free eating phase officially over. 

Adalaide Mentor

YAY!!! That is soooooo comforting to hear!! I love red velvet cupcakes, too! If you like the flour and use it for baking then I know I'm in luck! I'm about to infiltrate your recipe stash for more cupcake recipes with this flour! I found it at Home Goods for 6.99 for a 2lb bag! I see it on Amazon so that is where I will get it if I can't find it again locally.

Make cupcakes? I'm a spoiled brat. I buy cupcakes from gluten free bakeries. For me cupcakes are usually a special treat and when I feel entitled to a special treat I don't feel like I should have to make it myself.  B) I usually make other things, mostly bread these days to be perfectly honest. Bread of all sorts, but not sandwich bread. I buy that crap. I've just been having a crappy week and I don't have money to blow on the number of cupcakes I feel like stuffing in my face right now, so making them seems far more sensible. (unless you ask my hips, and no one is asking those fatties)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Make cupcakes? I'm a spoiled brat. I buy cupcakes from gluten free bakeries. For me cupcakes are usually a special treat and when I feel entitled to a special treat I don't feel like I should have to make it myself.  B) I usually make other things, mostly bread these days to be perfectly honest. Bread of all sorts, but not sandwich bread. I buy that crap. I've just been having a crappy week and I don't have money to blow on the number of cupcakes I feel like stuffing in my face right now, so making them seems far more sensible. (unless you ask my hips, and no one is asking those fatties)

What?! My nearest bakery is about 40 miles/minutes away. I wish I had the luxury... because the place I go to, Pushkin's in Sacramento, are really really good!

I have never tried to make bread... I'm not  a huge bread eater, never have been. 

And you should never ask your hips for advice, they never lie. :P

moosemalibu Collaborator

The cupcakes were a complete success! They were moist, not crumbly and had the same mouth feel as a glutiny cupcake. I will definitely keep the recipe and use it again! I took it to a chocolate party at my sisters house and everyone there loved them! And the recipe makes 30.... just sayin!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Get them into the freezer Rastas they have a short shelf life! Glad they came out great. So happy for you!

moosemalibu Collaborator

Get them into the freezer Rastas they have a short shelf life! Glad they came out great. So happy for you!

Thank you! I put the leftovers in the freezer just now. That will also prevent me from eating them all at once! lol

MGR Apprentice

Thanks for the recipe, I will try making them as soon as I can!! I am not generally one for cakes, etc - but cup-cakes, that's a completely different issue!! and I also miss them....

cyclinglady Grand Master

Thie iPad has a mind do it's own! Rastas? Where did that eve come from? Most likely my screen typing skills no doubt. Should be "because"!!!!!!

MGR Apprentice

Thie iPad has a mind do it's own! Rastas? Where did that eve come from? Most likely my screen typing skills no doubt. Should be "because"!!!!!!

No, it's the mysteries of predictive text.... Also if you type in different languages and forget to change the keyboard... Absolute chaos ensues.... But it's quite funny! We should never lose our sense of humor!

KCG91 Enthusiast

Thought you'd just given moose a new nickname. My predictive text once changed 'I see you... Muhaha' to 'I see you... Mugabe' :|

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thanks for the recipe, I will try making them as soon as I can!! I am not generally one for cakes, etc - but cup-cakes, that's a completely different issue!! and I also miss them....

It is so worth the effort. Also instead of the sour cream I used greek yogurt because that is what I had on hand - totally worked. :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thought you'd just given moose a new nickname. My predictive text once changed 'I see you... Muhaha' to 'I see you... Mugabe' :|

LMAO I was kinda like WTH? But I figured it out!! hahaha I hate predictive text and I have an iPad too.. drives me nuts!!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree!  It's so much easier typing on my laptop (like I'm doing now)!  I confess the convenience of the ipad is really nice!  Maybe I should spring for a wireless keyboard for my ipad -- but it's got to be laptop-sized and not one of those tiny keyboards.

Sorry, the for confusion!  

moosemalibu Collaborator

I agree!  It's so much easier typing on my laptop (like I'm doing now)!  I confess the convenience of the ipad is really nice!  Maybe I should spring for a wireless keyboard for my ipad -- but it's got to be laptop-sized and not one of those tiny keyboards.

Sorry, the for confusion!  

I like the idea of the wireless laptop pads. They are really neat. 

Is it sad that I know it takes a cycle of 7 secs, 5 seconds, and another 5 seconds to thaw out my frozen cupcakes? LOL I may have eaten 2 when I got home from work today. I spent all day in the OR. I earned them. Haha!

Adalaide Mentor

So I finally made my cupcakes today. I meant to earlier in the week and it just didn't get done. They are so good. Even more awesome though tbh is the frosting that is listed on the recipe. I could just make that frosting and eat it forever. It is really bakery quality frosting.

moosemalibu Collaborator

So I finally made my cupcakes today. I meant to earlier in the week and it just didn't get done. They are so good. Even more awesome though tbh is the frosting that is listed on the recipe. I could just make that frosting and eat it forever. It is really bakery quality frosting.

Now I have to make it again for the frosting. I ran out of time last weekend. Like I need an excuse? I'm so glad they worked out for you, too! :) :)

Archived