arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Going Gluten Free Cause Dehydration?

gluten dehydration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vorsilva

vorsilva

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

I went gluten and sugar free 2 weeks ago for mental health issues. I'm feeling great but I'm having some strange symptoms. My eyes and mouth and hands are extremely dry. My lips are chapped and I'm thirsty all the time. This has been going on for about 10 days. Can giving up gluten and sugar cause severe dehydration? What can I do about it? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

Gluten- no.  Sugar- Maybe.  If something is amiss with your blood sugar, thirst can be a symptom.  Other things to look at are your medications.  I don't want you to divulge more personal info than you want to, but certain psychiatric medications, along with many other different medications, can cause excessive thirst and dry mouth.  Also, since your dietary habits have totally changed recently, you may be eating more salty foods to make up for the lack of sweets and baked goods, if you ate them frequently before (probably unlikely, though).

If you can't pinpoint a certain food or medication, you may want to go see your doctor if it doesn't resolve itself, to check on your blood sugar and other possible causes.  If you aren't sure if any of your medications can cause dry mouth, you can call your pharmacist or the doctor who prescribed it.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

as laura mentioned, some meds can cause dry mouth, and perhaps you are absorbing them better now.  good luck

#4 vorsilva

vorsilva

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Tested my blood sugar and it's perfect. Actually eating less salt now because I'm cooking more at home. I've been on my psych mess for a while, but I'm going to check with my doctor to see if perhaps frieze is right about absorption. Thanks for the fast response! I'll keep you posted.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Coconut water seems to really help me with dehydration. I seem to absorb it better than water. Have you had your nutrient levels checked.  Are you taking vitamin B?  I believe that cracked lips can be a sign of low vitamin B.

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: