41 replies to this topic

#16 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

drum roll please...I didn't get glutened from PF Changs!!!  I ended up getting the Ginger Chicken with Broccoli which was good.  I feel like I did yesterday before going to the restaurant, so I'm taking that as a great sign.  No brain fog, no digestive back up and no joint cracking.  I still don't plan on going out to eat often because it's expensive, and I do actually prefer making my own food.  However, I'm so happy that I can claim that as a safe restaurant, and now if the dinner question comes up, PF Changs it is! 

Thank you all for encouraging me to give it a try...more steps in the right direction :)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

drum roll please...I didn't get glutened from PF Changs!!!  

happy-dancing.gif  whoohoo!! this news  is awesome .......with awesome sauce!!!!  

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

You're right....I have not been able to find "being a total git" listed anywhere as a celiac symptom. :lol:

How ironic that you turned out to have celiac as well, though.  Life is crazy sometimes.

I know! I'm probably the only person who laughed when they were diagnosed. 

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

I know! I'm probably the only person who laughed when they were diagnosed. 

I did not actually laugh, exactly, but the irony of it was not lost on me as I had been telling THEM (the docs) I had it for years.

Good thing we have good senses of humor, yes??. (or someone was getting strangled.....)  :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

this has been a looooonnnnnggggg week, but a good one!  Went out with a guy the other night and it was going really well.  After dinner, second time at PF Changs!!, he tried to kiss me but I had to kill the moment and say sorry I can't kiss you because of what you ate, and oh btw I have celiac disease.  Awkward...

However he seems to have passed the celiac jerk-o-meter test because I heard from him today, and he told me he called a few restaurants around the area about their gluten-free menus but also said if I wanted to do something else that works for him too.  That made my day  :)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well, this is great news, hon! yaay!! :) 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Lots of good advice on here, so I'm just going to add my experience:

I met my current (and wonderful and supportive) boyfriend online. I didn't say anything in my profile about my diet because I don't want to be defined by Celiac or stereotyped by the name of a fad diet. I did mention that I love cooking and baking from scratch. I'd meet people for coffee - that's my general rule. That way 1) I wouldn't have to worry about picking a restaurant and 2) if it wasn't going well I could cut the date somewhat short and not feel obligated to stick around for hours on a bad date, lol.

I would casually bring up my diet when it came up naturally in conversation. Most guys were actually really accepting of it and wanted to know more about it. I always spoke about my diet in the most positive way. You'd be surprised how many understanding guys there are out there, even ones who know what Celiac is or have a family member/friend who has it.

My boyfriend had an old roommate with Celiac so he knew a lot about CC. He realized the issue with kissing on his own and said "Oh! I'll just brush my teeth!"  :)

Have confidence in yourself and don't feel like you are hiding anything. Everyone has foods they prefer not to eat and there are SOOO many people out there with other allergies or food intolerance. If a given guy turns out to be rude or unaccepting about it, then you wouldn't want to be with him anyway!  ;)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#23 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

this has been a looooonnnnnggggg week, but a good one!  Went out with a guy the other night and it was going really well.  After dinner, second time at PF Changs!!, he tried to kiss me but I had to kill the moment and say sorry I can't kiss you because of what you ate, and oh btw I have celiac disease.  Awkward...

However he seems to have passed the celiac jerk-o-meter test because I heard from him today, and he told me he called a few restaurants around the area about their gluten-free menus but also said if I wanted to do something else that works for him too.  That made my day  :)

I am so excited for you!! YAY!!

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

You give me hope :)

A friend of mine tried to get me to go onto one of those  online dating  web sites . :blink: not sure how that is going to workout :lol: :lol:

It is hard enough meeting /dating men at my age but add super sensitive celiac :wacko:   I have to say  dating intimidates the begeebees out of me  :ph34r:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

well, come on ,girlfriend...dish!....have you gone out again?? Auntie Irish wants to know....lol

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

I already had plans for this past weekend, and it's another busy week, so we're going out again next Saturday  :)  I'm going to a chain in the Philadelphia area called Iron Hill.  I went to the one in West Chester this weekend as a test run, and no ill effects!!  I previously had another date planned for Tuesday with a different guy, so we'll see how that goes.  I guess I'm making up for lost time  :lol:

well, come on ,girlfriend...dish!....have you gone out again?? Auntie Irish wants to know....lol

#27 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Woo! Nice one :D

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

.  I guess I'm making up for lost time  :lol:

I hear all that, girl....(.me, too lol) , so go, ENJOY!!! Have fun!!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I guess I am missing something here. What's wrong with stating you have celiac in a dating profile? It's a BIG deal. It doesn't mean it defines who you are, but it WILL effect the people you may want to date. By not putting it out there up front, it kind of feels like it's trying to be hidden, like it's shameful. If it was my profile I'd probably put something on there like "I was recently diagnosed with celiac, which means I cannot eat even a spec of gluten. So the standard "restaurant date" isn't going to cut it - so show me your creative side!"

I don't see that as being negative. Some people just don't want to deal with "limitations" and it's better to weed them out before you even get started. I kind of look at having celiac as missing a limb. People who don't have an arm or a leg aren't defined by that - but it does present challenges and requires a different perspective. If I went on a date and found out my date had a prosthetic and didn't inform me of that in advance, my first thought would be "what ELSE are you hiding?"

Just my two cents, but wouldn't it be as important as disclosing a severe peanut allergy or an allergy to bees? The reaction your body will have to gluten can be just as severe. Besides, if they know up front, there's no awkward conversation, no nervousness about when to bring it up. If something with gluten involves happens, you can just say "No, I can't. Gluten, remember?" and it's taken care of.

I'm glad for you that you have dates lined up! Show those guys how awesome being gluten-free can be, and how awesome YOU are! How could they resist? :-)

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

I guess I am missing something here. What's wrong with stating you have celiac in a dating profile? It's a BIG deal. It doesn't mean it defines who you are, but it WILL effect the people you may want to date. By not putting it out there up front, it kind of feels like it's trying to be hidden, like it's shameful. If it was my profile I'd probably put something on there like "I was recently diagnosed with celiac, which means I cannot eat even a spec of gluten. So the standard "restaurant date" isn't going to cut it - so show me your creative side!"

I don't see that as being negative. Some people just don't want to deal with "limitations" and it's better to weed them out before you even get started. I kind of look at having celiac as missing a limb. People who don't have an arm or a leg aren't defined by that - but it does present challenges and requires a different perspective. If I went on a date and found out my date had a prosthetic and didn't inform me of that in advance, my first thought would be "what ELSE are you hiding?"

Just my two cents, but wouldn't it be as important as disclosing a severe peanut allergy or an allergy to bees? The reaction your body will have to gluten can be just as severe. Besides, if they know up front, there's no awkward conversation, no nervousness about when to bring it up. If something with gluten involves happens, you can just say "No, I can't. Gluten, remember?" and it's taken care of.

I'm glad for you that you have dates lined up! Show those guys how awesome being gluten-free can be, and how awesome YOU are! How could they resist? :-)

I did not say having celiac is anything to be ashamed of. I said she may not want to start out by saying what she had on her profile

which was "that she was a pain" for having an allergy. I just thought it was not necessary for her to paint herself in a bad light that way.

currently I put a line in my profile about "I rarely eat out at restaurants due to allergies, and I know it can be a pain,

( and if I had a bee sting allergy, I would just avoid botanical gardens and carry an epipen.)  I still would not start a new relationship with "I have a severe allergy" or "I nearly died from Celiac disease...wanna hear about it?" I think those convos can wait a few weeks. 

Just my opinion, but I wanted to clarify that in no way did I suggest that she --or any of us--should ever be ashamed of having celiac.

I just do not think it's the first thing I want someone to know about me either. I have many other sparkling qualities and interesting experiences that I want them to know about.  :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: