6 replies to this topic

#1 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

I’m going on a family vacation soon, and I’m the only one with dietary restrictions. What grocery store would you recommend going to for gluten and dairy free stuff? Is there a really good family restaurant to visit? Any other recommendations? 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 G0322290524

G0322290524

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I’m going on a family vacation soon, and I’m the only one with dietary restrictions. What grocery store would you recommend going to for gluten and dairy free stuff? Is there a really good family restaurant to visit? Any other recommendations? 

I believe a Costco store is nearby your location and they offer a variety of gluten-free breads and sandwich meat items as well as other products throughout the store.  You may have to have an employee for assistance regarding finding the products.  Also, Safeway stores offer gluten free products as well.  I consume lots of fresh veggies and fruits along with gluten-free products.  As for restaurants that can be recommended, you can search that out on the net and read the reviews.  I sometimes find a restaurant and then I phone them and ask them how they prepare the food before I arrive to ensure I don't get sick.  Hope this helps and good luck!

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I believe a Costco store is nearby your location and they offer a variety of gluten-free breads and sandwich meat items as well as other products throughout the store.  You may have to have an employee for assistance regarding finding the products.  Also, Safeway stores offer gluten free products as well.  I consume lots of fresh veggies and fruits along with gluten-free products.  As for restaurants that can be recommended, you can search that out on the net and read the reviews.  I sometimes find a restaurant and then I phone them and ask them how they prepare the food before I arrive to ensure I don't get sick.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Are you in Utah?  I don't think there is a Costco or Safeway anywhere near Moab.

You could certainly stock up in a bigger city on the way.  Salt Lake City has a lot of good groceries and a few gluten-free bakeries.  If you are coming from that direction.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

If you end up as far North as Provo/Orem, I can tell you everywhere to go. Probably not likely, I don't know where you're coming from though and where you'll drive through. If you come up from the south, check out things in St. George, maybe there's a Real Foods store down there, the selection isn't super but what they have is awesome. Good Earth is great too, or Sprouts. I'm not sure how they do things down in St. George, but up here most regular grocery stores have a good selection of gluten free options. There is for sure a Harmon's down there, they're great. But if you come from the north, Provo/Orem is your last bastion of real civilization so stop in Orem (our options are better than Provo's) and stock up. If you're coming through Grand Junction, I can't help.

Also, if you're coming down from the north, DO NOT miss Eleanor's in Sandy and Sweet Cakes in Salt Lake City. I promise, they are well worth it. Eleanor's is a little tricky to find in a brick building, but is really quick off the freeway and both have to die for cupcakes. Eleanor's also has real food too, so you can grab lunch. You won't be sorry!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

If you end up as far North as Provo/Orem, I can tell you everywhere to go. Probably not likely, I don't know where you're coming from though and where you'll drive through. If you come up from the south, check out things in St. George, maybe there's a Real Foods store down there, the selection isn't super but what they have is awesome. Good Earth is great too, or Sprouts. I'm not sure how they do things down in St. George, but up here most regular grocery stores have a good selection of gluten free options. There is for sure a Harmon's down there, they're great. But if you come from the north, Provo/Orem is your last bastion of real civilization so stop in Orem (our options are better than Provo's) and stock up. If you're coming through Grand Junction, I can't help.

Also, if you're coming down from the north, DO NOT miss Eleanor's in Sandy and Sweet Cakes in Salt Lake City. I promise, they are well worth it. Eleanor's is a little tricky to find in a brick building, but is really quick off the freeway and both have to die for cupcakes. Eleanor's also has real food too, so you can grab lunch. You won't be sorry!

You guessed it, I'll be coming from Grand Junction, unless we make an extremely random side-trip to some other state. I'll keep these in mind anyway :D thank you!! 

#6 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Are you in Utah?  I don't think there is a Costco or Safeway anywhere near Moab.

You could certainly stock up in a bigger city on the way.  Salt Lake City has a lot of good groceries and a few gluten-free bakeries.  If you are coming from that direction.

I think that wouldn't be too bad of an idea! I don't know how many cars we'll be taking, but maybe I can talk everyone in to letting me keep my own cooler with product from a Costco or Sam's Club or something. 

#7 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

We always travel with a cooler -- even before we went gluten-free. We now travel in a RV which makes it super easy, but I went on girl's weekend (kids too) and I was the only one who had celiac disease. I brought the cooler, used the hotel frig and tailgates when I was not able to find safe food.
I also kept a GO Picnic and other shelf stable foods in my purse.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: