24 replies to this topic

#1 Jackie F

Jackie F

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

I am somewhat new with a Celiacs Diagnosis, (2 months) via biopsy and blood tests.  Short version, I get VERY VERY ill within an hour (+/-) after ingesting Gluten.  I get anxiety, racing heart, palpitations, sweating for about 8-12 hours and then the stomach pains, vomiting/upset stomach and finally fatigue and numbness in joints!  All in all, miserable for about 24 hours!

Sorry for the graphic detail above, but just still annoyed, frustrated, etc.  Anyhow, Last night my Fiance and I had a gluten free dinner.  Chicken, fresh green beans and potatoes.  I used Certified Gluten Free Hidden Valley Farms seasoning mix.  About and hour later the awkward feelings started..the anxiety, heart and so on.  We looked at all the ingredients this morning, checked Hidden Valley Farms websites for cross contamination.  Nothing!

So, the one thing we traced it back to was he had drank a beer and we were using the same dipping sauce for the chicken.  Is it POSSIBLE to get that sick from him contaminating the sauce?  We used the same bowl and of course, "double dipping" :).  This is the second time in a month this has happened.  I ate off his fork at a restaurant and then had some of his steak the next day and got sick.  We blamed it on the restaurant, but I had steak and did not get sick until I ate his leftovers the next day.  Can another person's mouth contaminate my food if they have had gluten?  Crazy question I know, but this is a crazy disease! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yes, they can.

#3 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yep, they can- especially if you are really sensitive which it sounds like you may be.  There has been some discussion on getting glutened from kissing although I think it just depends on the individual circumstance.  If you haven't yet done so, check out the newbie 101 thread on the top of the page under the "Celiac disease- coping with" category.  There are possibly still sources of cross contamination in your kitchen and house so it doesn't hurt to give that a second look and maybe prevent more sick episodes for you.  Welcome to the forum and I hope you feel better soon! :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Jackie F

Jackie F

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yep, they can- especially if you are really sensitive which it sounds like you may be.  There has been some discussion on getting glutened from kissing although I think it just depends on the individual circumstance.  If you haven't yet done so, check out the newbie 101 thread on the top of the page under the "Celiac disease- coping with" category.  There are possibly still sources of cross contamination in your kitchen and house so it doesn't hurt to give that a second look and maybe prevent more sick episodes for you.  Welcome to the forum and I hope you feel better soon! :)

Thank you!  I was beginning to think I was just crazy!

#5 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

If you're that sensitive, also consider that "certified gluten free" usually tests to 20 ppm and some people react to that amount.  I've seen some baking mixes (Fresh Market) that tout most of their batches test to 5 or under ppm.  I'm not sure that applies in this situation as it seems that others have experienced this type of food sharing problem.  But it may be something to keep in mind.

Hope you feel better!

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm pretty sure I got glutened from kissing my husband once.  As for the comment about 'certified gluten free' possibly still having very small amounts of gluten - it's true and you'd probably be better off with sticking to whole, naturally gluten free foods.  Then that won't be a worry. It does sound like you may be very sensitive.  FWIW - double dipping is off limits in my house.  Everyone takes a scoop of whatever onto their own plates first and works from that.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

If you're that sensitive, also consider that "certified gluten free" usually tests to 20 ppm and some people react to that amount.  I've seen some baking mixes (Fresh Market) that tout most of their batches test to 5 or under ppm.  I'm not sure that applies in this situation as it seems that others have experienced this type of food sharing problem.  But it may be something to keep in mind.

Hope you feel better!

The federal standard, which is not yet legally in place, is 20 ppm. It will be Aug or Sept (I forget, but in the late summer/early fall around when school starts) when it will be enforced, companies were given a year to comply. On the other hand, all three organizations that do certification either do it to 5 or 10 ppm. http://celiacdisease...ee-Products.htm

Double dipping is a definite no-no. As should be kissing without brushing. You can't share an eating utensil or be eating off the same plate if he's having gluten. So if you want to do things like go out and share dessert, you'll need an extra plate to split it. Or he could just skip the beer for a meal if it's supposed to be romantic, because what's less romantic than you clapping your hand over your mouth and telling him to go brush before he tries to kiss you again?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Just want to clarify this <20 ppm. First - that is twenty parts in a million parts...so it's really small. Second- using testing at <20 ppm doesn't not mean the food has 20 ppm. It could be 19 or 2 or 0. If you used the same test on the inside of an apple, it would test as <20 ppm.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for clarifying my awkwardly placed comment, Adalaide an Karen!  I only added it because I know that some people have gotten ill from things which are labeled gluten free- whether from being super sensitive or from something else.  Since she's so sensitive, I just wanted her to be aware.  But my intent wasn't to scare anyone or give bunk info.  :)

Cheers!

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

The gluten content of regular beer isn't actually all that high.  I found a list of some tested and they range from around 20 ppm to around 100 ppm.  Here is a list: http://liveatthewitc...f-73-beers.html

In my opinion, the amount that you would get from your husband drinking a beer and then double dipping is very low compared to the amount that you might get from possible cross contamination from a gluten-free certified to 20 ppm seasoning mix.  Some of us do react to very low levels of cross contamination.  I keep to mainly unprocessed foods myself.

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

The gluten content of regular beer isn't actually all that high.  I found a list of some tested and they range from around 20 ppm to around 100 ppm.  Here is a list: http://liveatthewitc...f-73-beers.html

In my opinion, the amount that you would get from your husband drinking a beer and then double dipping is very low compared to the amount that you might get from possible cross contamination from a gluten-free certified to 20 ppm seasoning mix.  Some of us do react to very low levels of cross contamination.  I keep to mainly unprocessed foods myself.

I think it's a little soon, two months in, to be unnecessarily alarmist. It was already said, but I'll say it again for emphasis, tested to 20 ppm doesn't mean that there is 20 ppm in a product. It just means the test is sensitive enough to test down to that amount. There could be none. You could test fruit, vegetables and meat with a 20 ppm test and they'd all come up negative. Just because you start saying they tested negative on that test doesn't mean they have any gluten at all, they obviously don't. Let's not send a newbie out looking for phantoms on every label to be scared when there is no point.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

AND the amount of CC from double dipping IS enough to gluten anyone. So is eating off a glutened fork. That is why we need seperate mayo jars and butter sticks, etc. And that is why we can't eat a salad if we just pick off the croutons.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#13 Jackie F

Jackie F

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I appreciate everyone's input.  I knew about the seperate butter, condiments, etc.  In fact, my fiance has gone to eating gluten-free everything unless he is at work, and then he has to brush his teeth when he gets home.  I guess I was just curious, as to can that double dipping persay, make me as ill as I was a couple of days ago.  I guess so!  Lesson learned! 

#14 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I have to be super careful about this kind of thing too, since my man is also a beer-connoiseur. We usually have wine with meals unless we're out, in which case nothing usually gets shared. No kisses until teeth-brushing.

That said, it's early days for you so all kinds of things could make you react for no real reason. It's that your gut is still healing and is probably super finnicky. Stick to whole foods as much as possible for the time being.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#15 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

I think it's a little soon, two months in, to be unnecessarily alarmist. It was already said, but I'll say it again for emphasis, tested to 20 ppm doesn't mean that there is 20 ppm in a product. It just means the test is sensitive enough to test down to that amount. There could be none. You could test fruit, vegetables and meat with a 20 ppm test and they'd all come up negative. Just because you start saying they tested negative on that test doesn't mean they have any gluten at all, they obviously don't. Let's not send a newbie out looking for phantoms on every label to be scared when there is no point.

I have never said that tested to 20 ppm means that there is 20 ppm in a product.  What I was saying is that beer contains 20-100 ppm gluten according to the link I gave.  Her husband could have poured enough beer into their shared sauce to make it 10% beer and it would only then measure 2-10 ppm gluten from the added beer.  Since he was drinking the beer, swallowing it, then eating something else which redipped into the sauce, the amount of beer he would have gotten into the sauce would have been much lower than that.  It seems an unlikely source of gluten contamination to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: