24 replies to this topic

#16 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Well that's good that he's taking it seriously. Keep eating gluten until you have the blood tests, though. Depending on the result, they may also want you to have a biopsy, which you would also need to be eating gluten for to get an accurate result. If you want the biopsy you will need to keep eating gluten until all the testing is finished or be prepared to do a 'gluten challenge' (approx. two slices of bread per day for 6-8 weeks before the biopsy) before it is done. Don't blame you if not - I couldn't, couldn't face the thought of eating gluten when I knew what it was doing to my insides. But just so you know :) My blood test results usually take three weeks - post them up here when you get them if you want help interpreting them. 

The stone age diet/Paleo diet is naturally gluten free and I know a lot of people who do really well on it :) I think you can have eggs though! Testing for a permanent condition like Coeliac should probably be sorted out first, though. Either way it sounds as though you'll be soon be eating and feeling better soon, whether that's a gluten-free diet for coeliac or the Paleo diet :)

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lee uk

Lee uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Well that's good that he's taking it seriously. Keep eating gluten until you have the blood tests, though. Depending on the result, they may also want you to have a biopsy, which you would also need to be eating gluten for to get an accurate result. If you want the biopsy you will need to keep eating gluten until all the testing is finished or be prepared to do a 'gluten challenge' (approx. two slices of bread per day for 6-8 weeks before the biopsy) before it is done. Don't blame you if not - I couldn't, couldn't face the thought of eating gluten when I knew what it was doing to my insides. But just so you know :) My blood test results usually take three weeks - post them up here when you get them if you want help interpreting them. 

The stone age diet/Paleo diet is naturally gluten free and I know a lot of people who do really well on it :) I think you can have eggs though! Testing for a permanent condition like Coeliac should probably be sorted out first, though. Either way it sounds as though you'll be soon be eating and feeling better soon, whether that's a gluten-free diet for coeliac or the Paleo diet :)

Thanks KCG. 

they do the blood tests on a wednsday, I dont know how I can keep eating gluten/wheat for 2 more days never mind weeks, now I know what its doing I just wona stop. eating it I am feeling more depressed eating it now I had cherios this morning and yea I got pain in my gut and the runs to. just what I need before i go to work driveing a van for 5 hours :-( hopefully this will all be over soon. now I know what the problem is. just need the DRs to know it to

#18 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

Fair enough, to be fair, two days gluten free prior to the test won't make much difference as antibodies are produced for weeks/months after gluten is eaten. 

With my tests, my ttg IgA came back so high (over 128u/ml, when a healthy range was less than 7) and when I actually thought about it and did some research I did have several symptoms that were strongly associated with Coeliac. So I freaked out a little and decided to just stop eating it without waiting months for a biopsy. I decided to wait until my three month check up (the same blood tests again) and if the antibody levels had dropped a lot (as well as an improvement in symptoms) I thought that would be pretty conclusive. I feel much better and the antibodies are down to 22u/ml - so it seems pretty conclusive to me!

Everyone's 'journey' seems different, hopefully within a few weeks you'll have a better idea of what's going on and what to do next :) 

Katie

Gluten free 11/10/13

#19 Lee uk

Lee uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Thanks KCG

the wife has said whats one more day or do I need to wait for the results before I go gluten free. see said you now know personally what's wrong. so keep eating it till the results come throw. then we can start and maybe find you a dietitian even if we have to pay for it we will

she makes sense sometimes  :-)

#20 anand

anand

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

hi lee,

gr8 to see the good progress.. best wishes..

pl. can u tell me the book on food allerguies... the exact book + author , if possible... i think i have a lot of food allergies...

thanks for ur help,

anand

#21 Lee uk

Lee uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hi anand the book is by Jonathan Brostoff and Linda Gamlin The complete Guide to food food allergy and intolerance get it from amazon for 1p. waiting for it to be despatched.

31Yf6gmrXdL._.jpg

#22 Lee uk

Lee uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have my blood done in the morning can I then go Gluten and wheat free or do I have to wait till I get the results?

I Know i felt much better when I was not eating bread and pasta, he said one of the results will take 2 weeks to come back.

#23 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

It depends if you want further testing (like a biopsy), which is usually used to confirm coeliac disease or to investigate further if the blood test results are negative but you still think you have coeliac. For any testing you have to be eating gluten 6-8 weeks beforehand, but you can stop eating it and start again for the tests if you need/want to. It's a tough one - there's no reason not to go gluten free now the first tests are done but be aware that if you need further testing you'll have to eat it again. And you won't know that til you get the results :S Sorry, not a lot of help on this one! It's 'results limbo'... 

Katie

Gluten free 11/10/13

#24 Lee uk

Lee uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hi KCG

I will carry on but maybe just try a few gluten free things till all the tests are done. Hopefully it wont be long now 

#25 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

Good plan. The gluten-free diet can take a bit of getting used to so you may as well practice ;) (she says, halfway through an enormous gluten-free brownie :D

Katie

Gluten free 11/10/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: