6 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Does anyone know this restaurant?  They have an amazingly full gluten-free menu, but also say that they cook desserts and breads on premises.  We're going to be visiting Palm Springs soon and have made a reservation here, but I'm worried about whether they take cross-contamination seriously.

And if anyone has any other recommendations in Palm Springs or Disneyland, that would be great, too!

Thanks - 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Checkout websites like Find-Me-Gluten Free. Are there any others?

Disneyland is pretty good bout offering gluten-free. There is a PF Chang's within a mile of the park. There is an In-N-Out four miles north on Harbor Blvd. -- just ask them to cook your burger on a separate grille, mention gluten allergy and their fries are cooked in a dedicated fryer.
Do not know about Palm Springs, besides another In-n-Out.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone know this restaurant?  They have an amazingly full gluten-free menu, but also say that they cook desserts and breads on premises.  We're going to be visiting Palm Springs soon and have made a reservation here, but I'm worried about whether they take cross-contamination seriously.

And if anyone has any other recommendations in Palm Springs or Disneyland, that would be great, too!

Thanks -

I'm going to Palm Springs soon. How did it turn out for you?
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#4 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well, I have to tell you a bit of background in order to answer:

I was there with a group of eight people, and I'm the only Celiac.  My friend had found the restaurant in searching Palm Springs, saw the amazing Gluten-Free menu and thought I would love it for dinner one night and made a reservation.

The kids got cranky, wanted to go in the pool, etc., so we decided to cancel dinner and go there for breakfast instead.

At breakfast, I arrive super excited and open the menu to find absolutely nothing marked gluten-free.  Turns out they don't do Gluten Free for breakfast.  Not only that, but when I asked about just having eggs (which I would do in any other restaurant that seemed to have a certain level of gluten-free awareness, as long as I asked the right questions), they told me 'no, they wouldn't recommend it, they're making pancakes and waffles and not taking any precautions.' 

I ended up having berries.  And I admit, I got a little teary, as I'd arrived with such high expectations.

I actually respect them for being so knowledgeable that they wouldn't even allow me to take the risk of cc, but it was frustrating.  I probably could have said 'I'll take the chance', but it kinds of undercuts everything we try and represent to the world, and as I told my husband 'when they say they don't recommend it, I have to take it seriously'.

The moral of the story is, go for dinner.

#5 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thank you! I'll be with a group as well and am planning on bringing a cooler and portable cookware. I'll just eat on my own and will order a side salad (& not eat it) so that I'm not staring at a placemat while everyone else is eating! So far, I haven't had much success with restaurants and the group won't be considering my dietary needs when choosing where to eat (not that I want them to since restaurants typically gluten me anyway) :(

I'm very nervous about the trip. Thanks for the heads-up!
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

There was a Johnny Rockets there that made a burger in a lettuce wrap for me. The place was empty so I was able to ask them about the grill, etc. but they seemed to know what they're asking about. Have fun!

#7 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

There was a Johnny Rockets there that made a burger in a lettuce wrap for me. The place was empty so I was able to ask them about the grill, etc. but they seemed to know what they're asking about. Have fun!

Thanks! I was not in charge of where we ate but the first restaurant, Mikado's at the Marriott accommodated me with success. I spoke with Sean, the manager and and sushi chef who said he'd use a kosher knife. I ate salmon sashimi with nothing else. There was no gluten-free menu but they served a work of art gluten-free birthday dessert for my husband. I didn't take any other chances in restaurants and felt lucky and happy to have shared at least one meal with everyone. I prepared my own food the rest of the time and I DID have fun! :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: