Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Else Are They Missing?

6 posts in this topic

I have read story after story on this site about doctors who know nothing about celiac. Now, I know that doctors, like teachers and just about anyone else in technical fields, must partake in continuing education. And celiac has been such a "hot topic" for a while now. Yet so many doctors STILL know nothing about it.

I'm just wondering, if they haven't updated their learning on celiac, what else are they still ignorant about? How could I trust a doctor who knows nothing about celiac to treat my other ailments? If these doctors are still stuck in the twentieth century, I'm sure they can't provide the lastest and best treatments for anything!  

End of rant.

Ads by Google:

I hear you! I just went through a discussion with my kids' pediatrician that left me angry. He refuses to test my children for celiac disease because ~wait for it~ they don't suffer with diarrhea.  <_<

make sure you get that refusal in writing..

I hear you! I just went through a discussion with my kids' pediatrician that left me angry. He refuses to test my children for celiac disease because ~wait for it~ they don't suffer with diarrhea.  <_<

That's absurd. Relatives of diagnosed celiacs should be screened. In fact, they should be tested every few years.

Bring him the latest info from the U of Chicago Celiac research center that says this is HIGHLY recommended.

Or get a new pediatrician.  IMO

Or get a new pediatrician.

I'm thinking about it but my options are limited and not necessarily better.

This morning I was able to get the office to agree to test one of my kids (b/c she's always constipated) but I still have to fight for my other kids b/c they don't present with "symptoms". What a joke. 

Bartfull, your rant is right on the money, totally agree.  You call to mind that the days are over where doctors are panoptically lauded as some sort of information gods. Yep, I grew up that way back in the 60's - your medical doctor had all the answers and whatever they said was taken as gospel. Until I saw enough of them in the 21st century who denied simple logic or brushed off my intelligent observations about my own body or what I was experiencing, merely because they had not read the symptom or disease in a medical book that could have been written eons prior.  Or worse, because they were afraid to go against the medical establishment.  After countless visits to the doctor without answers, I made the gluten connection on my own, and then pursued testing.  While in the meantime, doctors were still stuck on the useless "stress, hormones or menopause" schtick some go to when they can't admit they haven't a clue.

But hey, I'm not anti-doctor.  I am convinced there are good ones out there, the best of which no longer subscribe to their own hubris as substitute for effective medical detective work that keeps up with the times.  Those are the gems.  And hypochondria aside, it's up to us to know to keep looking when our gut tells us the doctor may be totally off-base.  While I understand that doing your own internet research on health symptoms can yield cholera in the face of only a rapid heart rate, we should get used to the garbage-in/garbage-out method of taking responsibility for our own health and well-being, and get yourself to a humble doctor when you need a similar resource....or to stitch you up when you split your lip.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      I saw this the other day too & like Karen, wondered at the last line of the article. The article had me once again thinking about my deceased brother who was dx'd paranoid schizophrenic in his late 20's. He also had alternating constipation/diarrhea  but "they" always blamed it on his meds for the schizophrenia. We, his family, knew he had those issues prior to him being prescribed the meds but there is no telling the medical community something when you're talking about a mental patient.  Okay, I know the guy is selling something but the research noted in the article is valid: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/22/gluten-grains-cause-schizophrenia.aspx We knew about this back in the 50's & going forward. They even coined the term for it "bread madness". Why have we not recognized this in the psychology/mental health/institutions community for all these many years? Why does it seem to have been just shoved under the rug like some dirty little secret?  Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me.
      My first thought was how many people that have been labeled as mentally ill or psychotic actually have Celiac Disease and never get diagnosed?  Their whole lives spent battling these conditions, being flooded with various meds and no one looks at their diet or does other testing!  It really is tragic.  I always wondered whether Patty Duke was an un-diagnosed Celiac.  She was finally diagnosed with bi-polar and ended up dying of a perforated intestine, at the young age of 69.  Ya gotta wonder........
    • Desperately Seeking DISARONNO!
      I think the company knows what the ingredients are better than us.  If you mean Amaretto, I have had it.  
    • Gluten free before biopsy???
      My doctor required me to continue eating gluten before the endoscopy for biopsy. She did say I could let up "a little" to ease some of the terrible pain I was having, but wanted me to eat gluten-containing foods every day until the biopsy. As it turned out, they were able to get me in quickly, so it was really only a few days for me. Both bloodwork and biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and now I am happily gluten-free! It has been a challenge, but having a gluten-free kitchen, checking labels on foods and being super-careful when going out has worked wonders. I am not 100% recovered yet, but getting energy back a bit at a time as my nutrition status improves. We don't eat out much - mostly at vegan places that declare they are gluten-free (although I still eat chicken, eggs, milk, and beef sometimes at home). One day, I'll go somewhere else - but not without checking first! Best of luck to you. I think it important to always double-check with the doctor when there are any questions at all. My doctor welcomes questions and I hope yours will too.
      Thanks for posting I was just looking at this a short time ago. Something I found interesting was the last line of the article- " The psychosis that the woman experienced was an extreme condition and very unique, Fasano said. " While not common I am not sure that it is that unique.  There is a fair amount of research that has been done on the effects of gluten on the brains and nervous systems of celiacs.  Doing a search with the words neurological and celiac at places like Lancet, PubMed and the NIH can bring up some really interesting studies. Thankfully this impact is slowly becoming more common knowledge in the medical circles. Many of us have experienced in our families or first hand the way that the antibodies can impact our mood and thinking. It does seem miraculous when the clouds finally lift. I wish more doctors would test for celiac before pulling out the prescription pad, especially with kids.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ckrlink1